How To Sleeve Your Wires

Tony

Staff member
I have been asked a couple times how I sleeve my wires. In all honesty, it's quite easy. However, some of the most simple of projects can seem complex when finished. For this reason, I have created this video on how I sleeved the wires on the Rc-Help Helicopter.

The sleeve I'm using in the video is 1/8" loom that I purchase 50' at a time. This was used on a satellite Rx wire. If you are doing servo wire, you will want to go with 1/4" loom for a clean look. Also, you will want to get the heat shrink that will be the correct size for the project you are using. Again, I purchase my heat shrink 50' at a time.

Take a look at the video and tell me what you think. Remember, if you have any "Quick Tip" suggestions, post them up and let me know. I have a list of them, but I will always try to get suggestions up before the ones I have planned.

How To Sleeve Wires - YouTube

Derek

Yeah buddy!!! That was cool! That mesh really gives the wires a better "finished" look.

Tony

Staff member
What I'm most impressed about is I was able to do that in one take, without any cuts in the video, and on only 3 hours of sleep lmao. But you are right, it gives a really clean look to the wires. My computer has every wire done this way (my new one came this way, my old one I did each wire myself, hence the 100' rolls of sleeve lol) and it just looks clean even though you can't see most of the wires. I know they are there lmao.

But this is exactly the way I did all of the servos, switch, and Rx wires on the heli. The only bare wires on there now are the battery. And I think I may end up doing those as well when I get bored.

Derek

Now that you have me interested in doing this, can you tell me where you get that mesh? Also, on the RCH 600, you mentioned that you shortened the servo wires. How was that done? Did you simply snip the servo wires to length then add new connectors? If so, I need to get in touch with AMainHobbies about those connectors. I'm gonna order some anyway for my big plane.

Tony

Staff member
Wire Loom Expandable

Standard Heat Shrink

Adhesive Heat Shrink (great for securing the Expandable Loom)

There are the links to the stuff that I use. Pick your size for your project.

As for shortening the servo wires, I actually took the servos apart and resoldered the shorter wires to the board. I dont' have the crimp tool or I would have done it that way. Crimping the ends is the easier way to do it and you dont' have to go through what I went through which was a nightmare. Well worth the $35 investment if you are needing custom wires like for your plane.

Derek

Awesome! Thanks for that!

- - - Updated - - -

I see, on amainhobbies website, they have the JR style and Futaba style connectors. What's the difference?

Tony

Staff member
I am just on a good deed roll tonight lmao. You ask how I did it, I make a video. You ask where to get it, I show you a place that is MUCH cheaper than a hobby shop. I love this forum lmao.

If you get any of this, I hope to see some pictures, or better yet, a video of the completed project. Make sure to check out their site. The girls in the office are very friendly and helped me out for an hour while I was trying to figure out what I needed to get. Great bunch of people over there.

Tony

Staff member
Futaba has a little tab that sticks out. Your running spektrum, so get the JR style.

Graham Lawrie

I have been asked a couple times how I sleeve my wires. In all honesty, it's quite easy. However, some of the most simple of projects can seem complex when finished. For this reason, I have created this video on how I sleeved the wires on the Rc-Help Helicopter.

The sleeve I'm using in the video is 1/8" loom that I purchase 50' at a time. This was used on a satellite Rx wire. If you are doing servo wire, you will want to go with 1/4" loom for a clean look. Also, you will want to get the heat shrink that will be the correct size for the project you are using. Again, I purchase my heat shrink 50' at a time.

Take a look at the video and tell me what you think. Remember, if you have any "Quick Tip" suggestions, post them up and let me know. I have a list of them, but I will always try to get suggestions up before the ones I have planned.

How To Sleeve Wires - YouTube

Excellent:) I did not know you could stretch heat shrink. I personally use a heat gun(electric), that you get for stripping paint, on lowest setting. If i tried fire i would probably melt everything LOL. What is the sleeve stuff called and where do you get it? Very cool going to do all mine like this. Graham

Tony

Staff member
Excellent:) I did not know you could stretch heat shrink. I personally use a heat gun(electric), that you get for stripping paint, on lowest setting. If i tried fire i would probably melt everything LOL. What is the sleeve stuff called and where do you get it? Very cool going to do all mine like this. Graham

If you check out post #5 in this thread, I posted all of the links to where I got it. Very cheap, but it may not be so cheap for those across the pond. And it's just expandable wire loom I think is what it's called. And yes, a heat gun would be the best way. I have one as well, just too lazy to go out in the cold and get it lmao. I use it for shrinking monokote as well.

How To Sleeve Your Wires

Thanks Tony! That's a great way to improve the looks of a bird :D

I think it's starting to look great. As stated above, I have done all of my computers this way and they look great. Now I just need to do it to my planes lol.

john2012

Banned
very good thing tony and im going to get this as soon as i can oh im going to get also the trex 450 sport v2 and im going to use the dx7 for tx but im having a problem should i get the dx7s witch comes with the rx the three rx help tony

Derek

I was doing some thinking, Tony. I think I'm gonna go ahead an order some of this stuff and add it to my 500 when I change out the plastic/nylon gears in my servos for metal gear. i'm gonna order the metal gear sets next week. sounds to me like a good time to do the wire sleeving.

Tasajara

Nice video.... If I may add a thought... If you are using some larger Wire Mesh Guard after cutting I go around the edge with my soldering iron to seal it, this helps it stay together and not unravel. Just use light touches to melt strains on the ends together.

Also you can get a few different colors at Hobby King Wire Mesh Guard, if you are ordering from there it want be that much to add a little the cart.. :)

Last edited:

Derek

I didn't even know that HK sold this stuff. At $0.49 per meter...that's pretty respectable, I think. Thanks for that, Tasajara!!!

Tony

Staff member
yup, .49 a meter and 6 damn months on shipping. I will get my stuff from Moore Oklahoma. But you do have a good point about melting the ends to keep it in one piece. Teh best way to cut it is with a hot knife. I just don't have one.

Tasajara

I only said order some if you are already getting stuff from there LOL... or you have 3 buddies that can spring for ups delivery

Tony

Staff member
lmao, it's all good. If I'm ordering something, I will look at the weight that i have left over and try to fill it in. This is a great way to fill in that extra weight.

Top Bottom