General HOW-TO Setup helicopter FBL head - Align 3GX / Spektrum - by Marius S

stokke

To get a perfectly behaved bird you will need a perfectly set up head. In this guide I will cover everything which has to do with mechanical and radio adjustment concerning the head setup.

This will be covered:

• Setting you servos at 90°
  • Leveling your swash
  • Setting up 0° pitch
  • Finding the middle of collective travel
  • Adjusting collective range

The guide is intended for:

• Flybarless head
  • Mode 2 transmitter layout (Europe/US)

What's being used for demonstration:

• Align 450 PRO V2 3GX
  • Spektrum DX7S

What tools are needed:

Your average standard RC equipment.
P1010637.JPG

Pitch gauge and ball link pliers (digital gauge is not necessary, a standard gauge will do fine).
P1010638.JPG

A swash level tool (remember to get one that fits your heli size).
P1010672.JPG

Let's get started

The guide will cover setup for the 3GX FBL system. You may find it enriching even if you have another FBL system or a flybar helicopter, but you cannot use it as a "step by step".

• It's presumed you have some general knowledge of RC helicopters
  • Safety
  • Safety
  • Safety
  • Take off main blades when possible
  • Disengage motor if possible
  • ALWAYS have the transmitter's THROTTLE HOLD engaged if working on a LIVE system
  • I take no responsibility for damage or injury caused by following these instructions

Power on your transmitter, enable THROTTLE HOLD. Power up your helicopter in DIR mode; hold the setup button on the 3GX unit while plugging in the battery, let go of the button when the first LED's start to light up.

The 3GX should enter DIR mode, indicated by a constant STATUS LED and a constant DIR LED.
P1010639.JPG

Your transmitter should have no sub trim enabled on these channels; PITCH, AILERON and ELEVATOR.

Set your sticks to center position. You can also enter you monitor function (if you have this on your transmitter).
P1010640.JPG

Sticks in center position.
P1010641.JPG

When confirming center stick position in the monitor function, make sure PITCH is at 0%
P1010642.JPG

Leave sticks centered during the entire 90° process.

Plug your servos into the ELE, AIL and PIT ports of the 3GX unit. At this point it does not matter what servo goes where.

P1010643.JPG

Look at what general direction the servo arms are pointing, this is what we're trying for.
P1010644.JPG

Get out your servo arms.
P1010646.JPG

Again, remember to take out any sub trim you might have had.
P1010649.JPG

Now swap the servo arms/horns around until you get one that sits as close to 90° as possible. You can also swap servos around, there is no defined function for each servo yet.

Trying servo arms. This is close but I can do better.
P1010650.JPG

This one was worse then the previous.
P1010651.JPG

Perfect!
P1010652.JPG

You may not be able to get it perfectly 90°, but you should swap around until you get as close as possible.

Mine turned out like this.
P1010653.JPG

After this point the servos function is defined, which mean you should not loose track of what's what. If you lined up yours as I did, your order is like this; ELEVATOR far left, PITCH in the middle, AILERON to the right.

Disconnect the servos. Again, remember what's what.
P1010658.JPG

Connect the servos back in, this time to their designated ports. AILERON servo into AIL port etc.
P1010659.JPG

In this step we will use sub trim to get a perfect 90°.

Find your sub trim menu.
P1010660.JPG

Line up all the servos. Use a ruler or something to make them sit parallel besides each other. Then use a ruler as a guide. The ruler must line up with the center holes in the servo arms.

Now the goal is to achieve all arms in parallel with the ruler - use sub trim to achieve this. When doing this you should also be aware that we do want to use as little sub trim as possible. Up to 15 steps is perfectly fine, up to 30 steps is OK, up to 50 steps is a lot, over 50 steps I would not recommend. If you are unable to achieve 90° with under 50 steps of sub trim - you should consider getting new servo arms/horns.

P1010665.JPG

When you have acheived 90° on all three servos, you are done with the 90'ing of servos. You should NEVER mess with sub trim on ELEVATOR, AILERON or PITCH again - if you do, you will have to redo this entire procedure.

SUB TRIM IS LEFT AT THESE SETTINGS!

You are now done and ready to run the wiring. Before you start wiring, remember to label the servos so you remember what servo goes where.

Labeled servos.
P1010666.JPG

Servos set in their designated spots.
P1010667.JPG

Leveling the swash.

A level swash is key to get a stable hover and predictable flight behavior.

Put the 3GX in DIR mode again.
P1010668.JPG

Center sticks (let them remain in this position during the entire leveling process).
P1010669.JPG

Remove the head.
P1010670.JPG

Some people use the so-called "zip tie trick" to level the swash. This method is not as accurate as with a swash level tool.

One does NOT use sub trim to achieve a level swash!

Swash level tool.
P1010672.JPG

Place the tool on top of the swash.
P1010674.JPG

Align the tools arms with the swash arms.
P1010675.JPG

The goal is to make the swash level with the tool. Each of the three arms can be lowered or raised to achieve this.
P1010676.JPG

In this case, the swash arm should be raised. Meaning that the link below should be lengthened.
P1010677.JPG

BUT, one should look at all three links before adjusting. If one is higher than both the other two, this one should of course be lowered - and not the other two be raised.

Adjust length of links until you get all three points level with the tool.

Perfectly adjusted (Pitch to the left, elevator to the right).
P1010678.JPG

Perfectly adjusted (Elevator to the left, aileron to the right).
P1010679.JPG

The swash is now level.

If you are to adjust link lengths in the future, you will raise ALL links the same amount. E.G: you raise ELEVATOR by two turns - you also raise AILERON and PITCH two turns.

Finding 0° pitch at mid stick

Put the head back on (snap on the links as well - forgot to do this in picture).
P1010680.JPG

We will now adjust the blade grip links - these are the two links which connect the swash to the main blades.

The transmitter should still be at mid sticks. The goal is to get 0° on both blades.

3GX still in DIR mode.

Get out your pitch gauge.
P1010681.JPG

Position the blades parallel with the bird. One blade pointing forwards - one backwards.
P1010682.JPG

Parallel with helicopter.
P1010683.JPG

One blade at a time!

Measure the pitch. If you get 0° no adjustment is needed.

If you get positive (e.g. +3°) you shorten the link for that particular blade one turn at a time until you get 0°.

If you get negative (e.g. -3°) you lengthen the link.

When you have achieved 0° on one blade, you turn the rotor head 180° to get the other blade in the same position as the first. Then do the same procedure for blade no. 2.

Lengthen or shorten blade grip link depending on what pitch value you got.
P1010685.JPG

You should now have 0° pitch on both blades (00.4° was the closest I got).
P1010684.JPG

Finding the middle of collective range.

Blades still parallel to helicopter.
3GX still in DIR mode.

Find your "swashplate" menu.
P1010687.JPG

Find the PIT value. This value adjusts the collective range of your bird (more on that later on).
P1010688.JPG

Raise the left stick to highest position.
P1010689.JPG

Check your pitch.
P1010690.JPG

Lower the stick to lowest position.
P1010691.JPG

Check your pitch.
P1010692.JPG

NOW:

I got +9.3° at high pitch.
I got -11.3° at low pitch.

This indicates that my center stick position (0°) is not in the middle of it's range. The goal is to have even number above and below 0° (mid stick) - the reason being that you want an opposite but equal amount of pitch on both negative and positive during flight.

To get the best control of a bird, so-called "collective management", you want this.

SO:

If you get more negative than positive like I did (+9° / -11°), you raise the entire swash. REMEMBER, raise all swash links the same amount - and one full turn at a time. Don't mess this up :D

If you get more positive than negative (e.g. +11° / -9°), you lower the entire swash. REMEMBER, lower all swash links the same amount - and one full turn at a time. Don't mess this up :D

When the swash is raised or lowered one turn, you will have to redo the 0° at mid stick again (see "Finding 0° pitch at mid stick" further up, if you forgot).

This part is tricky, and most lightly you will not get a perfect balance between positive and negative pitch. Usually you get 1-2° off - but you should adjust until you get it as close as possible. This process takes time and focus - don't rush!

Raise or lower depending on your pitch reading.
P1010693.JPG

I ended up with this, 10° at high stick.
P1010697.JPG

I ended up with this, 0.04° at mid stick.
P1010699.JPG

I ended up with this, -10.6 at low stick.
P1010701.JPG

Adjusting collective range

Now that you found your optimal center between negative and positive pitch, you can adjust your collective range.

The range will increase/decrease relatively proportional on both negative and positive pitch when adjusting collective range. E.g. at a range value of +40 on the transmitter you might get +10° on high stick and -10° on low stick - but if you increase the value to +60 you might get +15° at high stick and -15° on low stick.

There are three things to consider when adjusting collective range:

• Pilot skill level
  • Servo binding
  • Power efficiency

A beginner pilot might want a low collective range e.g. +9°/-9° - this will prevent rapid climb rate and present a more docile helicopter. A seasoned pilot might want a high collective range e.g. +13°/-13° - this will give a fast and agile helicopter.

If one was to use too high a collective, one might cause binding in servos as they try to achieve a throw that is out of their range. Consult the helicopter build manual to find details on this.

The less collective range that is utilized, the more power efficient a bird you will get. It's better to increase head speed than to increase collective range.

So, decide what range you want. Set your left stick to highest position.
P1010703.JPG

Look at your pitch value.
P1010704.JPG

While looking at the pitch value, increase or decrease the PIT value.
P1010705.JPG

Raising the value will give more positive pitch.
P1010706.JPG

P1010707.JPG

You can also check your negative pitch - just set your left stick at lowest position.
P1010708.JPG

I'm going for +10° at high stick.
P1010709.JPG

I achieved +10° at a value of +41 on my transmitter.
P1010710.JPG

You should now have a perfectly set up head, the next step now will be to do the rest of the 3GX setup.

If you have questions concerning the topics in this post, feel free to comment. If you have questions related to other issues, please post in the forum.

Good luck!

Reactions: Mac

stokke

Will this work with a 3G set up on my 600? I'm getting +15/0/-15 on my pitch settings!

Yes, I believe so. But my settings are for 3GX, not 3G - which is a tail gyro I believe?

Anyways, you can lower your insane collective range with the instructions posted above. I'd set them to maybe 11° - and see how that feels.

- - - Updated - - -

You want to take a look at: "Adjusting Collective Range"

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Yes, I believe so. But my settings are for 3GX, not 3G - which is a tail gyro I believe?

Anyways, you can lower your insane collective range with the instructions posted above. I'd set them to maybe 11° - and see how that feels.

- - - Updated - - -

You want to take a look at: "Adjusting Collective Range"

No the 3G is just an earlier version on the 3gx. I'll check it out tomorrow. I want to get a set up for my dx8 and set t up. Then I'll have to start from scratch.

Tony

Staff member
Great writeup Marius! The only thing I would add, since this is for a 3GX, is setting the cyclic pitch. Would be perfect at the bottom of that post. I will be making this a sticky as well as forwarding it into the articles "Helpful Articles" section. This is the best head setup thread on here! Again, great job.

Edit: And because I make this an actual article, I went ahead and moved the original to the Helicopter Beginner Help Area. It will do the most good here.

Lee

Very nice Job Marius,
Thats gonna help out a lot of people. Especially us, not having to write out the answer every time :D LOL

Tony

Staff member
lmao, just "Link It". hehe. Marius, make sure to link to either this thread, or the article in your sig.

stokke

Yes. Since I was swapping out my DS410's with new DS415's, I thought "what the hey" - we get a bunch of Q's regarding this kind of setup. People often have trouble with setup or other issues, and do not know that their problem is caused by a faulty head setup.

If everyone learns this, we might start getting less troubleshooting threads.

Tony, I will make a complete HOW-TO about the DIR setup including cyclic range setup later.

Tony

Staff member
I have actually had video requests on this exact matter. I think you put it in a way that's better than what I can put it. When I make the head setup video for the RCH Heli, I will be using this post to help out. I will also link to it in the description on the video. It will be a while before I will get to it, but it will get done. If you get to the DIR setup before I do (and i"m sure you will), I may use that as well lol. But again, I have to give credit where it's due and I will mention it in the video as well as link to the thread. Keep up the great work!

yardner

A little help if you please. I could'nt get my stock T Rex 450 Pro V2 to work useing this setup. i did notice that the head is different than mine. I have a stock head, would this make a difference?
swash_zpsefd06362.jpg

I did find a work around on my DX6i by setting the Pitch Travel Adj. ( please see attached pic) and i want to know if i am Wrong in doing this? I did end up with +10, 0,-10, and it did fly. However i am just a beginner and do Not need -10 degree on my bird so i set my pitch curve to give me about -2 degree at Most.
traveladj_zpscbb154d0.jpg

dx6i_zps881efb28.jpg

Please let me know if I'm going about this all Wrong or if I'm on the right track.

Thanks
Yardner - Texas

swash_zpsefd06362.jpg

traveladj_zpscbb154d0.jpg

dx6i_zps881efb28.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The heads will be setup in the exact same manner, yours is a stock one with radius arms, and Stokke's is a DFC head. Both do the same job.

The pitch in that menu is for the left front servo only, not actually the pitch of the blades. You need to put that back to 100%. Make sure to move the sticks so that you are adjusting both sides of it.

To adjust your pitch, go into the Swash menu. In there, you are going to see 3 settings. Aileron, Elevator, and Pitch. You want 8º of Ele and Ail, and 10º of collective. Don't worry about the full negative, you can dial that out with your pitch curve, but setting it up, make sure it's at 10º. Hope this helps.

yardner

Thanks T, will do.... however i did'nt quite understand what you mean by:
"Make sure to move the sticks so that you are adjusting both sides of it."

yardner - texas

Tony

Staff member
In that menu, say for the aileron just to make it simple, there is a right and a left in that menu. You have to move the stick to change the arrow on the screen to adjust the other setting. Fro pitch, I'm pretty sure it's still the aileron that will adjust it. I think. It's been a while since I had my hands on a DX6i.

Tony

Staff member
According to the arrow, it may be the collective that you have to use to adjust it. Either way, you will need to set them back to 100% and use the Swash menu to adjust the travel or full pitch as it may be.

yardner

Yes, i understand. you are right there are arrows showing witch directions the "sticks" are heading or facing.

i will do that and will give it another try.

yardner - texas

Top Bottom