How To Match Motor | Battery | ESC

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone, I know it's been a while since i made a video, but I'm back now and I decided to do one on a subject that has come up time and time again. How do you match a motor to a battery and to an ESC. This video is going to explain all of that.

One thing that I forgot to put in the video, and didn't realize until it was too late was another question I have been asked. "Can you get a bigger C rated battery and put on an aircraft?". The answer is yes. If you read the discription of the video, I put it at the bottom. Remember one thing, the motor is what regulates all of this. The motor PULLS the power from the battery, the battery does not push it out. So you can run as big of a battery as you want, as long as it's able to at least handle the amps of the motor.

With that said, here is the video. and yes, I recorded it this morning and yes, I have already repaired the landing gears and wings. Can't even tell that it's been in a crash, or that I did NOT fix the monokote by the gears hehe. Hope you enjoy!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LlSa2f76QiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
There is nothing wrong with typing and reading lmao. This is a video that I have meant to create for a long time, just never got around to it. Now, I have other videos that need to be created to follow this one. As Randy pointed out, you can go over the "suggested" watts and/or amps if you put too big of a prop on the motor, so I need to do one with a watt meter, and show what the different props will do to a motor. But, I will have to get a watt meter first.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I hear you I did. The only thing about electric motors and esc I need to know is with helis lol. I do not like air planes with electronics! Give me a gas or nitro plane anytime! Lol.

RandyDSok

Electronics are electronics... no matter if they are used on an airplane or a heli... what Tony posted still applies to both.

Whirlybird

Tony's avatar used to be him standing next to his HK600, which was standing on it's tail, and I do believe that the tip of the rotor was even with the top of his head :)

Whirlybird

My mistake, I just checked out his former avatar . . . his HK600 standing on it's tail is up to his chin :)

Tony.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
yes, that is the 600 in that pic. I wanted to show the size of the heli with the blades. if I would have turned it so you could see the body of the heli, you wouldn't be able to see the blades. and that heli just just over 60" right there.

Whirlybird

Yeah! :rules: Who the heck got this thread off topic anyway . . . :banroll:

Seriously, we're just all excited to see Tony back in the "Video" saddle again :hdbng: I've got a ton of :popcorn: waiting :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If that is to happen Gaba, then I would need someone to send me a nitro car, truck, heli, or plane. I don't have one.

John333

Hello,
I want to match a battery pack for an electric motor with the following spec:
Rated torque: 113N-m
Maxiomum Torque 179N-m
Rated current 5.6A
Maximum current: 9.5A
Max speed at rated torque: 140rev/min
max speed at maximum torque: 46rev/min
electric power of motor at maximum torque: 6550W
DC link voltage: 600V
first of all shall I choose the battery pack or any possible combination which gives me same voltage as motor?
secondly, shall the battery pack power be more that motor power?
for exapmle if I have a battery pach with nominal voltage of 115V and rated capacity of 4.4 Ah, and 15Kw power, how can I calculate that how many of these battery pach I need and also how can I calculate the number of hours that the battery can provide the maximum Ams at 0.5C-rate of discharged with 80%v of its charge?
I know that I am asking lot of questions. Sorry for that. but I really appreciate that if you help me to figure it out.
Thanks

Top Bottom