700 How to lower Gyro gain?

cabbie

trex700e DFC with 3GX 3.0 on Spektrum DX7s

How do I lower Gyro gain? tail is hunting a little, went into the 3gx software and lowered what I thought was the gyro gain but it didn't help, do I adjust on the TX or do I need to lower the slider on the 3gx software more?

001_zpsc1cf6778.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I would put that slider back where it was. To adjust the gyro, you need to do it in the Tx. There are two different ways that you adjust it depending on your setup.

1) Using a separate Rx such as the AR7200

If you are using a separate Rx, then go into your gyro menu and set the channel to 5/Gear. This should be the default setting when you make the model.

2) Using Dual Satellites Directly Off The 3GX

If you are ONLY using satellite Rx's off the 3GX, then go into your gyro menu on your Tx and set the channel to Aux2 or channel 7.

Once you are done setting the proper channel, you need to set your gains. On the DX7s/DX8 a good starting place is 35%. I set mine as follows...

Switch position
0- +35%
1- -35%
2- set this to 0, meaning no gyro

The reason I do that is because right before I fly, I can flip the switch from position 0 to position1 and back to center the tail blades. Start with 35%. Fly the helicopter as you normally would. If the tail is not locked in, raise the value (heading hold only, never fly in rate mode. Heading hold is above 0, Rate is below zero). If the tail is wagging quickly, then lower the value.

Hope this helps.

cabbie

Ok still not sure what I'm doing here but set the "switch select" to
003_zpsc8754157.jpg

And have the gyro set to
002_zpsbdc83b3e.jpg

Still not sure how to turn the gain up and down! can't believe with all the vids on youtube and forum advice I can't work this gain thing out! :(

- - - Updated - - -

OPPS just noticed I set the + and - the wrong way I now have

0- +35%
1- -35%
2- set this to 0

Tony

Staff member
The Sw Select menu is not relevant here. The last picture is your gyro menu. On the lower left side, you will see it states Gear. This is where the instructions above come in. I still don't know if you are running a Rx, or just satellites. But, method 1 or 2 will get you going. If you are using a Rx, then leave your setting the way it is. If you are using satellites only, then you need to change that lower left to Aux2.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, set your sw Select to INH on all of them for now. Then, go into the gyro menu and set that Ch:Gear to Ch:Aux2. You can test this by flipping the gyro switch from 0 to 1. Position 0 should have a green status light, and position 1 should have a red status light. make sure when you fly, the status light on the 3GX is green adn never red.

Let me know if you need more help. I know I was very confused when having to do this for the first time. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Tony

Staff member
To adjust the gain when flying, you will adjust the POS 0 number. The closer to 0 you are, the less gain. The farther away from 0 (the higher the number), the more gain you will have. What I do is start off with 35 as you have it now, fly the helicopter in the highest head speed that you normally fly in, and raise the gain until the tail starts to wag. Once it starts to wag, lower the number 5% and you should be solid.

One thing that you need to look into is what firmware version you are using in the gyro. If you are using 4.0, then your tail is going to hunt, no matter what. the tail is the flaw in that version. I would suggest 3.1, but remember to get that thing off the ground quickly as 3.1 HATES being on the ground and will tip over on you.

Let me know what version you are running.

cabbie

Where would I find out the firmware? also the motor hold has stopped working! had it on the mix/hold switch right side at the back lol

Tony

Staff member
You can see the firmware when you hook the gyro up to the computer. On the top of the window, it will say "Firmware Version" and give you a number. If the first picture in this thread was a little higher, I would be able to see it in there, but it's cut off at the top.

Turn your Tx off, push and hold the top of the roller while you turn your Tx on to get into the Setup Menu. Scroll down to F-Mode Setup and make sure Hold is set to switch Hold. That should cure your hold issue.

Tony

Staff member
If 3.0 works for you, then go for it. I know there are a few on here that are having good luck with it.

And the Rudder gain will be different from the 3GX program and what you have set in your Tx. Your Tx should be at 35% to start, then you will have to fly it to know what way you need to go.

cabbie

Ok thanks for your help, will give it a hover tomorrow and see how the tail feels, no doubt in time it will all become clear lol

Tony

Staff member
Let us know how it goes. After you do teh setup a dozen or more times, you will have it down pat lol. And let us know if you need any other help. That is what we are here for.

cabbie

I think I got it now, POS 0 & 1 are heading hold and POS 2 is rate mode, I have 2 gain settings I can switch in flight (0 & 1) and I can lower or increase either to get a good set up, God I hope thats correct lol

Tony

Staff member
Position 0, which is the one with a positive number, is your only heading hold position. Position 1 on the switch which is a negative number is Rate mode which you should never fly in. Only fly in position 0, or wherever you have the positive number. And the third position is just there to bypass the tail gyro just in case you need to.

If you wanted, you could always set position 0 to 35%, position 1 to 40% and position 2 to 45%. This would allow you to change gains on teh fly so that you can do more flying while testing without having to land and adjust the gain in the Tx.

Tony

Staff member
Put the satellite in the rear with teh antennas going horizontal and you will be golden. Heli looks great!

cabbie

Thank you Tony, gave heli a test hover today and pleased to report tail is rock solid, rather pleased with myself, first build and set up with only the tail hunt problem, will spend a little more time on the trex450 before first flight with 700 :)

Top Bottom