Servos How to incrementally adjust position of servo

Burnheart

I am trying to use rc transmitter and receiver to remotely adjust the vent on my bbq smoker as I monitor the temperature from afar.

I have the AX-7s system tx/rec pistol grip. I have the SPT servo model SPT5435LV-180. 6v power converter arrives today.

I need to adjust the vent/servo frequently to open or close the vent on the smoker (2” travel) and have the vent/servo stay as adjusted! I’m using a lawnmower throttle cable from vent to servo!

How can I best accomplish my goal?

Obvious novice seeks advice!!

Thanks

Attachments

• F1645405-5B83-4AC4-A19F-B9FAE486F02E.jpeg
    F1645405-5B83-4AC4-A19F-B9FAE486F02E.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 6
  • D0C8BA35-FD73-49B8-B451-0630F58779CF.jpeg
    D0C8BA35-FD73-49B8-B451-0630F58779CF.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 6

RandyDSok

Attach the power, connect the servo to the throttle channel and then to your cable you have. Your travel limit will be determined by the length of the servo arm you use. The longer your arm is, the more load that is placed on the servo, so be careful to not over stress it or you risk stripping out the servo gears or burning out it's motor. You should be able to adjust the it proportionally as long as the cable you are using isn't too stiff for the servo to move it... or the vent isn't too stiff. Throttle channels are typically not spring loaded, so they won't return to center and should stay where you place it.

Burnheart

Thanks for your reply!! I’m using a pistol grip with only two controls….both return to center when released. I’m thinking that the servo and vent would also return to center. Am I thinking correctly?

RandyDSok

If you leave the spring on the throttle... of course it would... disable/remove the spring of course. Standard transmitters don't have a spring on the throttle channel, so I assumed the one you had didn't as well... but that should be an easy alteration. In fact, you could probably do that with either channel you wish.

Burnheart

Again, thanks for your guidance!! I’ll try to remove the spring on the throttle and see if that works for me!

Fly-n-Low

How much much resistance does it take to move the cable?

Sorry, I have to laugh... Not at you, just sounds like a redneck idea! I like it! I want to see it working when you are done...

And I have to ask.... Why? I usually set my smoker around 180 and let it go. Takes a bit of monkeying with, but...

Cool idea. Need to figure out how to put a temp sensor on the smoker you can set, and it runs the servo automatically... Now that would be cool.

Burnheart

The “why” is because when I’m smoking at the proper temp for ribs and butts of 225 degrees using hickory logs it takes a lot of adjusting to keep the temperature at 225 +-which is extremely important for true Tennessee pulled pork.
I monitor from inside my house both the internal meat temperature and smoking temperature with wireless temperature probes! The vent takes a lot of adjusting to maintain proper temperature as the fire burns down. During an 8-10 hour burn I go out to adjust the vent probably 40-50 times. At 78 it wears my ass out! That’s the “why”!

I smoothed the mating surfaces of the vent to reduce friction and lubricated the inner cable. Operates fairly easy manually. Bought a 35 kg servo to haul the load. I have no earthly idea whether it will work or not. I’m waiting for a pair of cables to put it all together. I’ll let you know!347689BE-5B35-41AE-841F-C269F1B866D4.jpeg

Fly-n-Low

I see!!! I was just curious. Thanks!

Nice looking smoker. Good luck with your project. I like the idea of a remote temp sensors. Going to have to look into that when I get mine going again.

I need to do some repair on my smoker/pit. It is 40 years old and the ash pan finally rotted out. It is pretty cool as I have a rotisserie with spit that I can put a large pork loin on.

Burnheart

Thanks for your interest in my redneck project! My smoker can handle 8 racks of ribs or 4 Boston butts or shoulders! The firebox is limited to a 17” log which I have custom cut! When I control the temperature properly it turns out some real old timey smoked pork! I’m real particular about my product so I try to follow best practices! Yeah, kinda fanatical!

I had a gas grille that had a electric powered spit on it and I used it often! It was great in roasting stuff! I prefer the low and slow smoking for tenderness and flavor! It’s all good!

Top Bottom