General How to connect AR8000 and 3GX on Trex 450

OllieGBR

OK, so I've been following the build videos over the past few weeks and have got to number 7.
Here the wiring is skipped over as it takes too long.
Up to and including build 6 I've got the three servo's in and bound to my DX7s on a new model. The tails complete and only the tail servo not connected. I've not yet secured the BEC.
What I really need to understand is how to connect the AR8000 to the 3GX. Idea's on where to mount the AR8000 and satellite receiver.

Any help/ pointers is always appreciated as I'm stuck at the moment.
This is my first build.

Thanks
Ollie

heli-maniac

just get another satellite receiver and you dont have to use the ar8000 there is not mutch room for both ar 8000 and 3gx
un less you mount the ar8000 on the tail boom mount and the 3gx down in the belly of the bird

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Like Jesse said

You can save that expensive rx for another bird. ;) :)

You won't need a seperate rx just a satellite and you are good

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

OllieGBR

Stokke,
I zoomed in on the picture of your setup and think I have managed to replicate it, (it's difficult to tell some of the colours).
The DX7s is bound with the AR8000, and I get movement on all the servo's when I input on the Tx.
It seams a very complex, and slightly messy setup. What are the advantages of using the AR8000 over just going direct to the 3GX?

My servo's are all over the place, my next step is working out what the hell is going on!

Cheers
Ollie

Tony

Staff member
There is no advantage. if you are using a 7+ channel Tx, I suggest just using the two satellite Rx's to set the heli up. Its MUCH cleaner when you are all done.

OllieGBR

Prefect, thanks Tony.
Perhaps you can answer my question on the satellites then, can these be any make, (can I use the one I have attached to the AR8000 for example)? Can you mix satellite makes, (I ask because I'll have to order another one).

Appreciate you responding to my humble post:adoration:

Cheers
Ollie

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can use the satellite that you have on the AR8000. It should have an X molded into the cover meaning it's a DSMX Rx. I HIGHLY suggest that you order another DSMX Rx for teh second one.

I just remembered, I have heard talk that going through just the 3GX will slow the response time of the servos. I can not confirm or deny this as I have never had a way to measure 11ms or 22ms times. They are both fast. But think about this, the big pilots are only using the satellites. I only use the satellites, and I'm pretty sure Gaba is only using the satellites.

I would just use the satellites and keep that AR8000 for another project.

I'm going to delete your other thread on this matter. Please only make one thread per question. Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
Cool deal. When you get it, just plug the two into the side of the 3GX, put yoru bind plug in, and bind her up. Then continue on with the setup. Any help needed, we are here.

stokke

The advantage of using a Rx with the 3GX is that you can use 11ms DSMX through the DX7S. Also you do not have to BUY a second Sat when you have a perfectly usable 130$ Rx just lying around.

The advantage of using two Sat's is a tidier wiring job.

The wiring is not complicated. You just plug the servos into the 3GX, and the rest into the Rx - simple :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The advantage of using a Rx with the 3GX is that you can use 11ms DSMX through the DX7S. Also you do not have to BUY a second Sat when you have a perfectly usable 130$ Rx just lying around.

The advantage of using two Sat's is a tidier wiring job.

The wiring is not complicated. You just plug the servos into the 3GX, and the rest into the Rx - simple :D

One satellite is more than enough for a 450 size bird. And I mean yeah if you are going to have only one bird ever then put a 130 dollar rx there ...

But if not, then a 35 dollar satellite will do its job perfectly fine :) and actually keep your bird looking cleaner easier to maintain.

And with using just the satellite you donot loose your resolution.. If that's what you are referring to by 11ms :)

I went from a 6210 full rx with sat with dx6i to just the sat with 9503, I saw a huge difference in resolution :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Tony

Staff member
If anyone has ANY PROOF of the 3GX ONLY using 22ms response time, I would like to read it. This HAS to be definitive PROOF that the 3GX will not accept 11ms. Otherwise, it's just hearsay and I'm going to have to stop it from being spread on this forum.

xokia

If anyone has ANY PROOF of the 3GX ONLY using 22ms response time, I would like to read it. This HAS to be definitive PROOF that the 3GX will not accept 11ms. Otherwise, it's just hearsay and I'm going to have to stop it from being spread on this forum.
It does say 22ms in the manual of my 450 3gx dfc pro. I am using a 6 channel reciever in mine because I only had a dx6i at the time. If you changed to 11ms for the 3gx I honestly dont know that it wouldn't support it or not I can only go buy what the manual says. I'll try and remember to snap a photo of the particular page.

Last edited:

xokia

When I bound the DX7s to the 3GX, (with my two satellite receivers), I noted the DX7s display noted 22ms.
This is a setting in the transmitter you can change.

Sorry guys I completely forgot about this topic. If anyone has access to a PDF 450 pro dfc 3gx manual I'm pretty sure you will find it in there.

*edit* ok I looked over the manual twice and I can't find anything that makes reference to 22ms. I did however find something that referenced the servo response time and I musta got the two mixed up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom