Batteries How to Choose the right battery

About to buy another battery but wondered when should one choose a 5s over a 4s, or a 4s over a 3s, etc? if a setup could run on a 3s or 4s, why go 4s?

brand suggestion?

murankar

Staff member
Less amps. The higher the voltage the lower the amps. Some other advantages is a faster spinning motors and power.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lee

The higher voltage means the system requires less current (amps) to run it.
Your electronics don't need to work as hard, so less stress on them.
More power. :)

Tony

Staff member
First, lets start off with what you have. Some electronics won't support anything higher than a 3s. Brushless motors are going to be rated in KV, which is RPM Per Volt. So if you go raising your voltage, it will cause the motor to spin faster adn could result in either burning it up, or over spinning it and causing a catastrophic failure. So post up what you are working on and we will point you in the right direction.

My engineering knowledge for choosing motor/rotor/esc/battery is just almost non-existent and one can only watch so many youtube videos. lol. I certainly appreciate the help determining what I need but I would really like some sort of logic step progression that I can determine what I need for myself (teach a man to fish). I know that motor manufactures have spec sheets for their product but again, not sure where I should start. I've learned some of the basics like weight*3 / 4 (quad) or / 6 (hexcopter), etc.

In any event, I do appreciate "giving me a fish" for now, this is what I plan to build:

450 quad copter
Turnigy 4s 5000 mAh 25C battery
Naza v M2 (i'm sure this has little to do with the motor engineering)
plan to add fpv and gimbal with gopro.

Tony

Staff member
The mrs is a very simplified gyro compared to the 3GX. I tried it and didn't much like it. Hoe you have more luck than I did. Below is the manual. starting on page 16 (18 according to adobe) is the setup instructions.

View attachment Align3GXMrs.pdf

Top Bottom