Prop How stupid do I have to be???

Vegas1010

What a day!!! So, yesterday, I go out for a little flying. It was my first flights with the parkzone visionaire. I had three batteries charged up and ready to go. Flew all three batteries and called it a day and came home. Had three awesome flights and a wonderful time. As I was flying, more noticeable at higher speeds, I had a little elevator oscillation. Nothing that created major problems while in the air, I just didn't want it happening. Later that evening I was getting things lined out so I could fly again today. I wanted to tame down the AS3X hoping to fix the elevator oscillation. Since I didn't have a switch on my Rx, I had to plug and unplug the battery server all times to get this done, and with only two hands it was a little tough. Anyhow, I would use a rubber band to hold the aileron/elevator to enter the setup mode for the AS3X. I think it came set on 80% gain from horizon hobby, I wanted to set it to 30% gain thinking that would fix my problems. Well, every time I went to enter setup mode I would hit the left aileron trim. I guess I had hit it enough to max out the left trim and I didn't even notice I was doing it. Now, we get to today and it's time to fly. I do all my normal pre flight routine (which does not include looking at trim settings, but it will now) and everything checked out. I've got my low rates pretty "dummied" down. I think I had 65% throw and +45 expo. High rates are 100% and +10 expo. I guess with the low rates, being what they, when I got air born, I had just a slight constant left roll. I'm really new to this so I wasn't thinking about aileron trim. I was just thinking about elevator trim and correcting the left roll myself. After I thought I had everything lined out and had made a few passes it was time for some high rates. That was a really big mistake lol. I flip the switch and already had a little left input in and it did one great big roll and straight over the edge of the mountain. I almost cried. After almost two hours of looking, I found it in the top of a tree about 85 feet up and upside down. About 30 minutes in to my search it started raining like crazy. So now I'm soaked, my Tx is soaked and my plane is 85 feet up in a tree upside down and I'm sure the Rx is getting flooded. I'm going to go back tomorrow with a fishing pole and some hooks and I'm going to try to "fish" it out of the tree tops. It's all still in one piece but I'm sure the battery and going to be shot and I don't know how well the Rx, ESC, servo's and motor will hold up to the water but I'm hoping it's not going to be real bad. The Tx was totally soaked. I got it home and opened it up and let it dry out and it seems to be ok for now. I just hope the plane has a similar outcome. What I total BONEHEAD move I made. But, on a positive note, I will never make that mistake again. Sorry for the length but if anybody knows what I could do when I get the plane down for the best possible chance of saving it I would greatly appreciate it.

jklong03

My main concern is that the electronics were still powered up while they were getting soaked, increasing the chances of damaging arcing.

Don't get me wrong, not meaning to rain on your parade (pun intended) but the good news is that the plane is upside down which means most of the water probably ran harmlessly down the inside of the top sides away from the circuit boards. Chances are the battery finally died and I would try placing everything in a bag of dry white rice for a day before I let my curiosity get the better of me and try and power it up.

Best of luck to you!

Tony

Staff member
Sorry Graham, but I remember that video adn it has some really strong language in it. Had to remove it.

Top Bottom