How NOT To Put A Nitro Engine Together!

Tony

Staff member
stick it in the freezer it will shrink the roll pin or get some 134a and blast it with that

aluminum shrinks faster than steel. The best thing would be to heat it up hoping the aluminum would release the pin, but because the pin is made out of, what I'm guessing, is spring steel, it will just expand when the aluminum does. And why are we even talking about this anyway, you were the first one to post that you didn't want this engine in this heli?

Wolfman

Man Tony that engine has really seen better days! With a roll pin of that size it would be extremely difficult to drill out, because the roll pin is harder than bits of that size. What is the cost of a new piston and ring? I know on the dirtbikes that a wiseco piston and ring is $100, for my old RMX 250. Then you have think about the sleeve, is it going to seal right? I don't know it probably could be rebuilt, but in the long run I don't think you could trust it.
Just my 2 cents

Tony

Staff member
It could be rebuilt, nto a problem. New block, new piston, new ring, and new sleeve. That alone though is about $200. However, I can hone the cyl, new ring, somehow make the piston work and put it back together. But you are right, it's seen better days. However it's not from running, it's from whoever took it apart before. Live and learn.

xokia

I'm with Westy I think it could be repaired. The major expense here is gonna be time. My hpi savage sat for 3-4 years and looked kinda like that. Crank was rusted and so was the bearing. For me I dont have the time to spend on stuff like this. So was one of the leading reason I switched my savage to brushless. The old .26 Picco motor sits in a box and will eventually get tossed out. Other reasons are I just got tired of messing with nitro. To much other stuff required. Once they get the flight times of the brushless stuff on par with the nitro stuff that will nail the coffin in nitro birds. Just look at the RC car market. No hobby shops anywhere near me even sell nitro trucks anymore.

If you have the time this could be a fun project. a tiny ez-out is how I would try to pull that pin out.
But I personally would probably toss it more work than its worth.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
you are about to get me started on how they can never "NAIL THE COFFIN" on nitro birds.. or gas birds. DONT MAKE ME DO IT!!!! I can go on and on.. I have both .. both on big birds. and there is NO comparison., You quit nitro cause it was too much.. means you never liked it enough anyway :)

ANywaz.. I wont get started .. I got huge list of reasons.. Nitros are about to match Brushless power.. esp Gas powered helis.. that is where the fun will be!

you replied to a thread recently that is one of the BIGGEST reasons of me keeping my electric fleet controlled, and I throw around my nitro much more.. :D

Last edited:

xokia

you replied to a thread recently that is one of the BIGGEST reasons of me keeping my electric fleet controlled, and I throw around my nitro much more.. :D
im not sure which one that is.

I loved nitro hated electric nicads at that time were a hassle so where the brushed motors. But now things have change my savage runs longer and has WAY more power then the nitro ever had. Doing 40mph back flips is pretty wicked. Brushless has completely changed that market.

For heli's nitro still has some advantages the long run times is a huge factor. But as technology improves that will change only a matter of time. There will be hold outs like you but might not be enough to sustain the market kinda like whats happening to nitro buggies.

Top Bottom