450 How much play should i have in my tail.

orbi

I have a 450 sport (belt) and ive just noticed the bar on the tail is wobbly. there is a lot of play in the slider and the Curved braces that meet the rotor holders. the heli flies ok to start with but after a couple of mins, takes a violent anti clock wise turn , I cant put my finger on what the trouble is except the play.
is this the cause??

Lee

Yep, as above. I quick video clip will solve your issue very fast. A bit of play in the tail won't cause a sudden spin. If it did, it would be immediately, not after a few minutes. Check the belt tension, any slipping in the tail drive gears? (front and tail shaft gear)

orbi

Video0010 - YouTube

sorry for the delay guys this is my first ever upload etc so its taken a while to sort.
One shows the "play in the tail" and the other shows my indestructible stabilizers. notice the plywood platform covered in duct tape makes it real stong.

Edit: Got the second video working for you mate. Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

There is some play, but i wouldn't say it would stop you flying. I would film the next flight and let us see if it does the piro.

orbi

i have no idea on techno stuff.... like its alien to me so it takes ages to get there for me !! cheers

Lee

Just while i'm thinking. Check that the travel in the tail doesn't make the pitch slider lock out to one side.

orbi

ive knackered up my radio! i tried to put in a backlight....... followed it to the letter and ended up bining the light, then I had no display at all on the main screen...

- - - Updated - - -

welll ..... I wouldnt recommend anyone using the self inserted backlights,, the Horizon people say its the main cause of radio repairs that they have to do, when people attempt backlight installs....
and Yes! your bang on Lee it snapped to the right on me a week or so ago...... it locked. but it hasnt done it since

Lee

Ok. Just check everything in the tail is smooth by hand. Unclip the servo end ball link, and move the rod up and down. If you feel any binding or rough patches, then something is too tight.It should feel buttery smooth to move.
If thats ok then check the servo is moving smoothly. while switched on, keep moving it for a while with the radio stick and see if something changes.
Let me know how you go.

orbi

ive got no radio , I had to send it to essex to horizon for repair. they recon around £15-£25 plus postage...... so I wouldnt recommmend an install and this was the one where solder wasnt required either, just plug in and play. I think it someting to do with the ribbon but I was especially careful there. I tried about 6 times in and out but no display.

Lee

If it locked up, then check what i said before. The pitch slider arms. They shouldn't be allowed to extend to the point of being straight. This will cause it to lock out or bend inwards by mistake. If this is the cause, you can either slide the whole tail assembly further onto the shaft, to reduce the travel. or do it through the rudder travel limits in the radio.

orbi

if it take the BAR and wiggle it from the end where the rotors are the bar will lift up and down a good 3/8 or 10mm its not solid there. should it be steady?

orbi

im finding that on one side of the sticks it moves well and easy and fast but on the other side stick to the right I get a poor movement and the slider only moves a 1/4 inch max and is slow no matter what I do to the travel

- - - Updated - - -

no not control rod the bar on which the slider sits....it moves up and down alot.

orbi

ive never had a tail to bits yet so Im not sure of how it is adjusted etc.... I just wanted to set it up mechanically while the radio is in for repair

- - - Updated - - -

yeah sorry the shaft. i must learn the tech stuff.

Lee

So it came ready built? and you just flew it?
First thing to do then is take it apart and build the tail and the whole heli for that matter. Firstly to make sure its been put together in the right way. Secondly, to learn how a helicopter works.

orbi

thanks Lee. the play is in the shaft it wiggles up and down a lot everything else is really easy to move. Ive just found out what may be the problem with my heli jumping after a few mins of hover. Ive just seen a video on a heli with a static problem , the boom needed grounding to the frame, static was getting built up and messing up the gyro.

Top Bottom