How many helicopters have you totalled

treff

Just wondering on average how many helicopters the learner pilot gets through until he or she is any where
near competent. Totalled is unable to repair, beyond reasonable repair. Myself, I'm on my third and still not what I would
call competent where I can turn in nose on and feel safe. Thanks for any response. The answers should be very interesting.
Cheers

Microbus

I haven't totaled any, but I did out right lose one. I tried flying off my 3rd floor balcony at night and never saw it again. lol :duh:

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Have not totalled any either, YET, but I have taken things very slowly, I think having my 130x has helped as it takes learning very well, my only repairs after a few downs is 2 gears and a plastic head block.

I must say though the sim has helped loads, not with how to fly but with how to react,

one thing I have found hard to get in my head is instead of cutting the throttle its giving it some if I get into trouble, what do they say you don't crash by hitting air!

Treff, everyone is different, your curve may be totally different to mine or anyone, its how you do, you have done great since having your break, you gotta keep that in mind, oh and enjoy yourself, that's the main thing.

murankar

Staff member
I have two kits that need parts to fly. One will be an align convert and the other is waiting for awhile. My second is a rich boys toy and I ain't rich.

murankar

Staff member
I have two kits that need parts to fly. One will be an align convert and the other is waiting for awhile. My second is a rich boys toy and I ain't rich.

danhampson

ive not totaled any yet, but i have had my fair share of crashes all due to dumb thumbs and pushing myself too hard, since getting my 500 ive slowed things down and am learning faster

Tony

Staff member
I'm with the rest, I have not had to "re kit" a heli yet. But, I have not had a really serious crash yet either. My day is coming though. I just hope it's not with the 600. Wait, I want an electric 600... :scratchchin:

Lee

In 3 years I have had 5 dumb thumb incidents, two of which were last week :) The rest have been mechanical, but never had a heli completely totalled.

Stambo

I'm with the majority here, replaced a few blades, main and feathering shafts, gears, blade grips and links but each crash has been repairable.
I still have (almost) every heli I have bought. The 450 size coax is long gone but it still flies at the hands of it's new owner.

treff

Thanks guys for the replies. I say I'm on the third, well, that's not strictly true. My first HK 450 is down but only because the tail drive gear has stripped, other that it is a flyer. My HK 450 GT PRO 2 is I'm
afraid, if not totalled it is very close. I have brought another HK 450 GT pro 2 because I have lots of spares and I now know how it's put together. The other reason I brought another was financial. I
just can not at the moment get into expensive helis. This one will be treated with care LOL. There is good things about these kits and also bad. If you know the weak spots then I think it is a good helicopter
to learn on. I was just getting into really enjoying the flying then old fate took a hand. After nearly 8 months into this part of the hobby of rc I must say I'm hooked on helicopters. I think it is
the challenge, there is always something new around the corner wether that be building, rebuilding or flying. It's always interesting and sometime frustrating but great fun. Thanks again for the replies.
Cheers

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Totalled a 450 twice. Full re kit.. I didnt wanna admit it, but it cost me exactly as much as new kit would have..

Totalled a 600 (Vibe) before. Tail torque tube geAR support bearing installed upside down, gear disengaged,stripped, was tic tocing at 20 ft.. so it went in full power into tar (road nearby field). This was my third week of having the heli.. almost two years ago. had to change out everythign but engine and servos. (even the gyro Futaba 401 then.. ) was toast.

Slobberdog

Totalled a 450 twice. Full re kit.. I didnt wanna admit it, but it cost me exactly as much as new kit would have..

Totalled a 600 (Vibe) before. Tail torque tube geAR support bearing installed upside down, gear disengaged,stripped, was tic tocing at 20 ft.. so it went in full power into tar (road nearby field). This was my third week of having the heli.. almost two years ago. had to change out everythign but engine and servos. (even the gyro Futaba 401 then.. ) was toast.

Hey Treff thats gotta make you feel better,

Gaba, Ouch man, live and learn.

pvolcko

My 300X has had all but a few parts replaced on it at least twice over (7200BX, tail control rod, and swash the exceptions). IT is my real life simulator heli, though, so it gets put at the most risk. nCPX has bene put through the wringer too. PRobably need to retire it and get a mCPX BL for the winter.

Microbus

I said earlier that I haven't totaled a heli yet, but I should probably add that I've had a 300X since January that I haven't flown yet. No reason to waste a perfectly good helicopter!

Karubah

Nothing totalled yet..but have crashed numerous times. Replaced most of the common parts that break or bend. I have been trying to fly with some sort of confidence for about seven months but still have no confidence. I have been helping convert a 600 Trex nitro to FBL and the owner is going to hook me up with a buddy cord so I hope this can break the fear factor.

john2012

Banned
Well i have needed to rebuild both my 450's sport and the dfc front tail gear and the servos on my 450 sport and that did cure my tilt right so new servos and they both do fly now, But have trouble slanning the throttle stick down, How do i stop that.

Top Bottom