1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Batteries How far to discharge a battery

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Slobberdog, Apr 6, 2013.

< DS410M chattering/vibrating | LIFE battery or LifePo battery >
  1. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Soldier
    Now that makes me think a bit. If the charger removes power does the mah counter go down, or does it stay the same?

The reason for the question is that if the mah (on the screen) does not go down on discharge then when the power is replaced you may end up with a false mah reading on the screen. This could show more mah being replaced.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Extreme Sports Instructor
    As the battery charges, if one cell charges faster than the other, the balancer doesn't take the mah out of the battery, it allows the charge from the high cell to be distributed to the lower cells. So the Mah should give a true reading of the battery capacity. I rudimentary visual would be those stacks of champagne glasses that the guy pours in to the top one and when its full it flows into the others, but obviously the battery doesn't allow one cell to charge completely before distributing to the other cells.
    Some more expensive chargers like the Powerlab 6 or 8 charge each cell separately with in the battery. this allow it to keep a better eye on the health of the Battery, and do a better job of balancing them.

3. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

That is not what I observe on the charger I use... and if that is what was happening, it wouldn't explain a battery taking more MAH than it is rated at when only 70-80% of the total MAH was removed.

4. murankar

Soldier
    On my charger I have an mah limit set at 2200 mah. So no matter what my batteries will on go that far.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Extreme Sports Instructor
    It could be because a lot of batteries have a higher capacity than they specify on the sticker.

6. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

This is turning into another charger war. Plain and simple, when flying, don't discharge past about 3.4vpc, for storage, 3.8vpc.

7. murankar

Soldier
    Everything electronic is labeled lower than what it can handle. Just like cpu's in a computer, they all can outperform the list rated speed. The ratings are there to inform the consumer what the product can do under normal operation.

8. Slobberdog

Slobberdog Well-Known Member

Sorry all, did not think this would go this way, lots of good info now, I think I understand.

< DS410M chattering/vibrating | LIFE battery or LifePo battery >