450 How cheap can I build a 450 for?

orbi

Ok Im looking to build a 450, but for the record it has to be the cheapest heli that has ever been built. Im kinda wondring if its possible to get all the parts for something like $80.
Then again .... will it stand the test? is it worth the effort using crap stuff that is gonna break down and crash it more often. More work and more cash..... maybe I will look for secondhand quality stuff first.

Tony

Staff member
It's a double edges sword here. Yes it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you spend the least amount possible, it's likely that you are going to have bad bearings, horrible clearances causing binding and parts flying off when in the air. If you spend $500 for a 450 kit with the electronics, everything is just going to work.

I have an article for the cheapest helicopter build. It's the cheapest that you can build a heli, or it was when I made it. Have a look, but again, you get what you pay for.

Rc-Help - How To Build The Cheapest Rc Helicopter

And here is one just slightly more and a hair better.

Rc-Help - Building A "Not So Cheap" Helicopter

Yes its possible to do initial build very cheap. However it will not be a cheap heli. If you sneeze at it, you're likely to bend the main shaft. Kiss the ground n your up for new cyclic servos, assuming they haven't crapped themselves already, not to mention the feathering shaft.
Still there are parts you can get cheap. I'm sure many newbies here wish they spent extra n got a decent bird

murankar

Staff member
The only thing I would recommend doing with something that cheap is learning your orientations. Crashes will be cheaper and getting over the crash hump will be less painful.

DAL2855

Banned
I know I wish I would have spent the extra money and gotten an Align bird to begin with! But I won't really know until my two new Align birds get here next week!

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
I know I wish I would have spent the extra money and gotten an Align bird to begin with! But I won't really know until my two new Align birds get here next week!

I think we all regret that first "cheap" bird. All i can say is you wont be saying thank you to yourself enough when you see how the aligns fly.

DAL2855

Banned
I sure hope so after all the troubles I've had with these two clones! And I got a heck of a deal on the Aligns got two for the price of one!

idon'tknow!

WOW!...good deal. Like any heli they time and fine tuning to fly nice, HK ones can fly just as good as an align, if you upgrade the moving parts to align or, similar.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah I got the one already built and flying, except have to use my Tarot ZYX gyro, and then I have to build the second one but only had to buy the Main blocks for it. Other than that he had everything to build the second bird with!

DAL2855

Banned
I will be installing MG90S servos on the second bird as a FB bird for now, but next month will get the DFC head and FBL gyro for it. Not sure which gyro yet as I have to test the ZYX first on the first bird. But most likely it will be another ZYX. The one has DS415's on cyclic and DS425 on the tail so it already has good servos on it along with the DFC head! And I've already got my clone bird sold to a friend of mine! So I might be able to do the conversion on the second bird sooner than I had planned!

orbi

I will be installing MG90S servos on the second bird as a FB bird for now, but next month will get the DFC head and FBL gyro for it. Not sure which gyro yet as I have to test the ZYX first on the first bird. But most likely it will be another ZYX. The one has DS415's on cyclic and DS425 on the tail so it already has good servos on it along with the DFC head! And I've already got my clone bird sold to a friend of mine! So I might be able to do the conversion on the second bird sooner than I had planned!
Hi take a Look at Hobbyking Turnigy HV 306 MG aluminium casing/red $24 fabulous value theyre like silk. excellent cyclic servos.

DAL2855

Banned
I had found a place Orbi to get the DS415's for 9.99 a piece plus shipping. don't know if I can still get them for that price, but hopefully I can! If not I will probably take a look at those!

Stambo

Orbi I have one simple statement for you.
If you buy junk you fly junk.
I started cheap like a lot of people here and spent more time fixing than flying.
If you have never flown a heli before I suggest starting with a cheap, durable and stable micro like the WL Toys V911 from Banggood.
I know the perception of micro is that they are twitchy and harder to manage but these are super stable and have a transmitter that is capable of reduced rates that is not entirely junk.
They handle a small degree of wind outside (depends on skill level) and you can also fly inside when the weather stops the larger craft.
For US$49 it's hard to go wrong and excellent for learning coordination and orientation.

Westy

LEGEND
My Advice (coming from the school of hard knocks) ....

Stay away from the cheap and nasty or it will eat up all your time and enthusiasm ... and cost you more in the long run than if you had got a decent heli.

If you cannot afford Align...

Then go for Either Tarot 450 or ALSRC are pretty good too - I like the cool canopy and tail "Goblin Look" of the ALZRC 450 heli.
2012061564775781.jpg

you can get them for about $160 for the air frame only ... so you can choose your own gear to go in it.

Next down the chain are the New Model KDS flybarless helis (they do not last ... but they fly good from the box)

HK are rubbish in my opinion (fix them all the time).... I spend a lot of time simply upgrading that garbage to align gear just to get them flying straight.

Also .... dont skimp on the Gyro or Tail servo..... these will be the difference in having a decent non drifting heli or a chase and hope heli you will not enjoy as it can never be tuned correctly.

If you are gonna spend your money .... do it right first time and you will stay in the game.... you do not want the issue of mechanical issues compounding your own pilot skills and learning curve.

idon'tknow!

My Advice (coming from the school of hard knocks) ....

Stay away from the cheap and nasty or it will eat up all your time and enthusiasm ... and cost you more in the long run than if you had got a decent heli.

If you cannot afford Align...

Then go for Either Tarot 450 or ALSRC are pretty good too - I like the cool canopy and tail "Goblin Look" of the ALZRC 450 heli.
2012061564775781.jpg

you can get them for about $160 for the air frame only ... so you can choose your own gear to go in it.

Next down the chain are the New Model KDS flybarless helis (they do not last ... but they fly good from the box)

HK are rubbish in my opinion (fix them all the time).... I spend a lot of time simply upgrading that garbage to align gear just to get them flying straight.

Also .... dont skimp on the Gyro or Tail servo..... these will be the difference in having a decent non drifting heli or a chase and hope heli you will not enjoy as it can never be tuned correctly.

If you are gonna spend your money .... do it right first time and you will stay in the game.... you do not want the issue of mechanical issues compounding your own pilot skills and learning curve.

wow thats a cool heli! Really does look like a SAB.

Top Bottom