600 HOT MOTOR!

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
No, guys. I am talking about temperature. LOL

Fixed my Trex 600 DFC today. After just a couple minutes into the first test light. The motor was hot to the touch. I could not hold my finger there for more than two seconds.

After visual checking the motor and its surrounding, I did not see any binding. Touched the ESC and its wires and the motor's. Everything was just warm (just barely warmer than our body temperature). Before the crash, I did not check the motor's temperature. The motor and the rest of the drive train seemed unscathed by the crash.

I had been checking motors on my 450 helicopters before. They would be slightly warm even after more than half dozen of lights.

Is it abnormal? How do I fix it?

Thank you

Tony

Staff member
You should be able to hold your finger to the can for 2-3 seconds without having to remove it with the motor at it's hottest. I would take the motor apart and take some detailed pictures of the windings and post them up. If there is a short, the wires will be a brownish color and not copper like they should be.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I run Castle Creations Phoenix ICE2 80A and Align recommended throttle curve (80-75-70-75-100).

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I would keep an eye on it and check the actual temps after flight. My motors get hot too! Like my scorpion runs very hot .

Esc you should see the log and see what is the highest temperature it went to in flight

Castle esc's don't like going over 120-130F .. So
See what you were at. 2-3 mins of light flying shouldn't cause a very hot motor

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
No, ESC is not running governor mode. I just looked at the data log ( for the first time).

Max current: 45 A

Max temp: 120 ° F

Max RPM: 120 000 (!?)

How do I convert this figure to the head speed knowing the following?

Motor KV rating: 510 kV
Power source: 12s config
Main gear: 112 teeth
Pinion: 13 teeth

Another point to note is that minimum voltage is as low as 3.5 V per cell. I did some power climbs to test the tail. Is it normal for the voltage to drop that low?

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
No, ESC is not running governor mode. I just looked at the data log ( for the first time).

Max current: 45 A

Max temp: 120 ° F

Max RPM: 120 000 (!?)

How do I convert this figure to the head speed knowing the following?

Motor KV rating: 510 kV
Power source: 12s config
Main gear: 112 teeth
Pinion: 13 teeth

Another point to note is that minimum voltage is as low as 3.5 V per cell. I did some power climbs to test the tail. Is it normal for the voltage to drop that low?

In castle software you actually can put in the main gear and pinion values with your motor pole info and see the actual headspeed on it.

Did you enter your pole count in there to get these numbers (120000?)

Viltage can drop low and then you probably saw it come back up. That's normal in high loads. What you are looking at is that you shouldn't use more than 80 percent of the total mah capacity of the battery. Now if you see that happen most of the flight, you might wanna look at a better battery with lower Internal resistance and a higher C rating.

All that said if that went low for a second or so that's not an alarming thing at all.

Also like said above .. Find out what align wants you to run the pwm at, and set your esc at that pwm rate.

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

heli-maniac

here are the specs on the 600mx 1220kv motor
Kv (rpm/V) 1220
Max Power (W) 3000W (5sec)
Max Amp (5sec) 150A
Shaft Diameter 6mm
Motor Diameter 45mm
Motor Length 53mm
Motor Weight 280g
Case Outrunner
ESC Timing 5-18 deg
ESC Switching Freq. 16-22KHz

i run mine at 5deg on timing pwm is is set on outrunner mode think i should change that to 12
what to do on motor poles i dont know it is 8 or 10 the bl600mx has 9
unless i should be counting the magnets on the can and that is 6

Last edited:

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Guys,

I am sorry for not replying sooner. I've been busy the past few days.

Thank you all for your responses.

I was reading up on PWM frequency for this particular motor, the BL600MX, the other day. On their website, Castle Creations recommends PWM frequency of 12 kHz for BL600MX motor with the ESC set in governor mode. This is the default PWM value.

According to a post on Helifreak, the running PWM for a motor is calculated as follows:

PWM = ( kV rating X operating voltage X pole counts )/20

In the case of the Trex 600 motor,

PWM=(510 kV X 44.4 V 10 poles)/ 20 = 11322 Hz , roughly about 12 kHz, consistent with default value of 12 Khz.

The ESC on the 600 had previously been set (at Align factory) to out-runner mode. I changed it to 12 Hz and flew it in the same conditions but I noticed no difference in temperature afterward.

By the way, does anyone know anything about “outrunner mode”? I found very little information on this. They say it has a modulation scheme of its own. ???

In addition, after flying my 700 for a battery, I noticed the motor was hot to the touch, too. But in this case, the Castle Creations 120A ESC was just as hot as the motor.

Castle Creations folks say that raising PWM frequency may or may not lower the motor temperature but will definitely make the ESC run hotter.

As you know, a good percentage of motor power will turn into heat. And the heat has to go somewhere. If it not the motor, it has to be the ESC.

With motor efficiency of 85 %, 15 % of 3kW of motor power at its peak would be 450 W, more than enough resistive power to sauté skin.

Please correct me if you think otherwise.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
the Higher the frequency the more work the ESC has to do to pulse time the impulses to the motor on all three phases.

Top Bottom