Tri Hobby King Y-3 Tricopter

Stambo

Ok here's a thought.
Plug the servo straight in to the rudder channel on the receiver.
Check to see if it centres and if you have full left right travel.
Direction is not an issue at the moment, we are trying to find whether the problem is KK2, mechanical setup or radio setup.

Jerryz

I appreciate you Stambo. I seem to have made some progress. Here is what I did. I removed the red wire from M2 and M3. Then powered those channels with a UBEC. Believe it or not, the servo centered, and I actually got it a few inches off the ground. Now I'm dealing with a weird motor. I heard it making a racket, which is why I only wen a few inches off the ground. It seems that you can pull the can apart. Perhaps I should not have removed that "C" ring. I usually do that for airplanes, otherwise it will rub. Not sure what to do about this. Possibly order another motor.

Jerryz

Well i think I have everything working ok. I just have to dial it in. I get it about 6 inches off the ground, and it gets really squirrely. Even with self level on. I appreciate everyone's input. Hope to get a maiden video posted soon.

Tasajara

you have to have the "C" clip on or the bell will pull away from the stator when you give it more throttle or even come most of the way off. That will make weird sounds.
It is ok on a pusher style where to prop is pushing toward the motor.

Jerryz

you have to have the "C" clip on or the bell will pull away from the stator when you give it more throttle or even come most of the way off. That will make weird sounds.
It is ok on a pusher style where to prop is pushing toward the motor.

You are correct. I really screwed up. I wasn't thinking. On airplanes the front of the motor is behind the firewall, and the C clamp will rub if you don't remove it. Well luckily I only did that to one motor, and I have another one on the way. But I still cant get over the fact that this tricopter is acting exactly like the first one did. How could I make the exact same mistake twice. I am just missing something. I cannot get that rudder servo to get level. I have to manually make it level with the rudder stick. When I lift off, It goes berserk EXACTLY like the first one did. I hope to get this one flying because this is positively my last tricopter. I have built two quads, and maiden flights were perfect. I don't get it.

Stambo

Try putting the servo wire straight to the rudder channel on the rx like I suggested earlier.
That will take the kk2 out of the equation.
You might need to run the bec to the rx and disconnect the positives from the kk2 to the rx.
Are you using the same servo you used on the last build?
Is it digital or analogue?

Last edited:

Jerryz

Try putting the servo wire straight to the rudder channel on the rx like I suggested earlier.
That will take the kk2 out of the equation.
You might need to run the bec to the rx and disconnect the positives from the kk2 to the rx.
Are you using the same servo you used on the last build?
Is it digital or analogue?

Well I seem to have worked it out. It is flying great. There is a setting on the KK2 "servo offset" Once I dialed that in. It was good to go. The problem now is that there is not enough air flow in that enclosed pod. My ESC's are running pretty hot.

Top Bottom