450 HK450

salem502003

HK450
A big Hello to you all, as you might have already guessed I am new to this forum so I would just like to say thanks in advance for anybody or to all that might help me. I am fairly new to this wonderful hobby of RC helis I have owned a Blade 120sr & I also have the Phoenix v4 sim I can do the basics with the blade & using the sim so I have now gone & got myself HK450 & the DX7s my question is guys is there any kind sole or soles that could give me some settings for the novice using the DX7s the complete setup as I have only just got hold of this TX & I am only @ the stage of hovering & gentle circuits so any help would be much appreciated hope to hear from you all soon so once again many thanks for any help Paul. :sentimental:

Westy

LEGEND
Hey There.....

I have looked at mine (DX7-SE) and they are different :(

Here is a good Vid on the basic setup. THE MENUS

Shows .... warning setups .... frame rates ...callibrations..... etc... If you want the basic setup for the CCPM and Swash settings including Expo for beginners... let me know I am happy to assist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
setting up a heli will be different for each heli. What we can do is walk you through setting it up from start to finish. Post up what edition kit you have. Be it the GT, Pro, V2, let us know and let us know what you have going into it. We are always here to help.

salem502003

Hi Westy,
If you could give me the full setup that would be great I will then give it a try once the weather in Scotland improves. Thanks again for your quick reply & the offer of help I can see this forum & all its users are going to be a great help to a beginner like me as its pretty difficult as you can imagine trying to learn yourself with only the help of you tube videos & forums like this because where I live in the far North of Scotland there is no modeling clubs for me to join & help me so its a slow process but with the help of people like yourself that are willing to share there wealth knowledge I will get there ever onwards & up as they say so many thanks again no doubt you will be hearing from me again very shortly so thanks for now all the best Paul.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tony
I really have no idea what kit is is only that is was bought on e bay brand new & only test flown ,then sent out to me all the markings on the heli just says HK450 i think it might be a clone . I know thats not much help but is there any other way to tell ?,But i do thank you for your time to reply to my post. All i want to be able to do in to get a nice level steady hover & gentle circuits so i can progres with this new found hobby of mine many thanks & no doubt you will hear from me again cheers Paul.

Lee

Hi Paul.
If it just says HK450 then its probably the basic HobbyKing model. Did the radio come with the Heli? Has it already been flown with this radio? If not, then we'll start from scratch. If it has, then we may only need to make a few tweeks to get it flying perfectly.
All the best from a fellow Scot.
Lee

salem502003

Hi Lee,
To answer your questions no the radio did not come with the the heli its my own one brand new never used & yes it was test flown by the guy who built it for me so i would imagine that it would be just the set up figures for the tx because i would presume that the swash & all that would be ok but not 100 percent & all the servos so what do you think but i do thank you for your speedy reply & offer to help speak soon & thanks Paul.

Lee

Ok then first you need to set up a new heli model on your radio. Set the swash plate to 120º. Then with the throttle stick set to centre (motor unplugged) go into subtrim menu and get all the servos set at 90º. If the guy set up the helis head links correctly, the swash should be level as should the whole head and the blades should have 0º pitch at centre stick. If you can check all that, then get back to me, we'll move on from there.

salem502003

Ok then first you need to set up a new heli model on your radio. Set the swash plate to 120º. Then with the throttle stick set to centre (motor unplugged) go into subtrim menu and get all the servos set at 90º. If the guy set up the helis head links correctly, the swash should be level as should the whole head and the blades should have 0º pitch at centre stick. If you can check all that, then get back to me, we'll move on from there.

Thanks for the help Lee i am working all damn weekend so as soon as i'm able i will get back to you for the next step, many thanks speak very soon Paul.

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Salesm ..... Thanks for the kind words.... callibrate you Tx first to make sure it everything is where you think it is. :) then go into your menus and do as Lee said above:

1. set up a new model
2. set type to Heli
3. set swash to 120 degree 3 servo
4. go into your nor Stunt 1 curve (Idle up 1) and set the curve for a lineal pitch curve. so L = 0, 1 = 25, 2 = 50, 3 = 75, H = 100 (note that the L 2 and H should only need setting up as the 1 and 3 should show INH and will fill in the linear curve gaps....
5. Bind your Radio to your Reciever
6. once bound..... go remove one of the motor wires to your ESC and remove your main and tail blades (I take the main gear out also) so you do not wear a set of blades to the head or the heli takes off unexpectantly
7. go back into the Stunt 1 (IDLE UP 1) menu.
8. Click your Stunt mode switch till you get it into stunt mode one. Usually the menu you are in (Stunt mode 1) will flash somewhere on that screen when you click hte switch into that mode to let you know that yo uare engaged in that mode.
9. move your throttle stick up untill you see IN 50 OUT 50 at the bottom of the screen in that menu.... This is DIGITAL 50% = TRUE MID STICK ... you will probably notice the marks on the stick do not line up.... do not worry about that... that is perfectly normal.
10. Now make sure you have set all of your cyclic servos to 90 degrees. I say as close as possible as it is nearly impossible to acheive this mechanically .... then you can use your sub trims (not the ones on the TX body) ... in the sub trim menu to adjust them to 90 degrees.

salem502003

Ok Lee seem to have managed that ok they look level to me but if they were not I presume I would adjust them using the sub trim on the TX in the sub trim menu is that correct I am just checking this as I plan to keep all your notes for further reference . As I think I have already told you my friend this is a slow learning curve for me as there is nobody this far north I can turn to so I have to rely heavily on kind hearted soles like yourself & you tube for advice, so Lee I know this is going to eat into your valuable time which I really do appreciate im ready for stage 2 ,as you know I am @ work all weekend so if it is at all possible & you find time can you give me all the setup details @ once during the weekend or when you have time & if I run across any problems I will let you Know because I’m hoping that if nobody comes into my office to pester me I’ll give it a go @ work . To be honest with you I am hoping this guy that I bought the heli from has done a good job so basically all I will have to do is put in some settings for the DX7s for gentle hovering & soft slow circuits, but all the advice you give me I will copy & print to use again .Once again Lee I cant tell you how grateful I am for your help lets hope all goes well & the weather improves in Scotland soon so I can take this bird out for its maiden flight .I will keep in contact as I have a lot to learn & let you know how I progress speak soon & Thanks Paul.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Paul, if your referring to the swash, it is best to get a leveling gauge and adjust it with the links. Leaving the sub trims at zero. This is a better way to level it than using sub trim to do it. Make sure you start with the stick at mid stick in idle up. Adjust till your swatch is level. Check the you have zero pitch. Then move the stick up recheck you should be about 12 plus degrees on your pitch then move the stick down. Recheck and you should be at -12 degrees pitch. The rest of your adjustments will be in the TX.

Lee

Sam he is using the subtrim to get the servos to 90º not the swash. But then you are correct. He should then adjust the links to get the swash level. And a swash leveller is a good tool but if you don't have one you can use a zip tie. Once the swash is level, move up to the next stage of the head and check that those arms are parallel to each other and horizontally level, then the next stage up the same and finally the blade grips level to give 0º pitch. All these setting are made with the throttle at mid stick.

Zip tie levelling

This video will tell you all you need to know about setting up your heli and the radio. Even though its a DX6I all the setting will be very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Paul Sales m .....

how did you get on?..... getting through it? the main thing to remember is ...... with your heli facing tail in (nose at 12 o'clock)

your cyclic servos are as follows ..... right front = Aileron, Left Front = Pitch, centre rear = Elevator..... this will come in handy if you have an issue getting your servos to pitch up and down in the same direction.....

let me know if you need any help .... just got in from flying for 30 mins .... showing a mate at work .... he was blown away .. .and wants one.... I told him ( can get him a 500 and show him the ropes .... ) will be good ... cause I had no-one like you to show me how .... learnt all from forums and Lee helped my out a few times back in the day from memory!..... if you need any help .... just keep asking ... no questions is too stupid .... except the one you do not ask and crash or course Lol!

Cheers,
WEsty

salem502003

Thanks for the link Lee that was a great help all I have to do now to transfer them to my DX7 & hopefully away I go .All I need now is to wait for the weather in Scotland to improve Its cold Wet Miserable & windy so no use for the Novice pilot, again many thanks to you all for your time & help its much appreciated I can't wait to get to fly this machine of mine I have waited a long time. Patients is a virtue you know ha ha , so I guess its back to the phoenix to night after work for more practice .When I finally get the bird in the air a will let you know how it goes & inevitably I will be back on soon to learn more about this glorious sport from guys like you all that will pass on vital tips to us Novices to make our learning curve less stressful & much more fun ,cheers again all Paul.

Top Bottom