450 HK450 built journey

makarthur

I started my first 450 kit built and would like to document the journey. Issues encountered and lessons learned.

Issue 1 - flybar rod stuck at thread edge, how can I get it through after the thread edge, see diagram
flybarrod stuck.jpgflybarrod stuck.jpg

flybarrod stuck.jpg

makarthur

Trainrider06, thank you for your tip.

Tony, thank you for your encouragement. I am a newbie, hope to have your support throughout this journey.

trainrider06

Your very welcome! I built one of those about a year and a half ago, nice kit! Still have the heli too!
Also, do yourself a favor and either look for a Futaba GY 401 gyro, or either of the Spartan quark, or Ds760 for your gyro.
Those are very good gyros!

makarthur

Issue 2 - smashed bolt head
Trying take down the mainframe and apply thread lock. Removed all but two, which I have smashed the bolt head. How to remove or just leave it as is?
mainframe with tools.jpg
frame with 2 screws.jpg
smashed.png

mainframe with tools.jpg

frame with 2 screws.jpg

smashed.png

trainrider06

If you have a set of standard size allen wrenches you can kinda work one that is close to that I believe 1.5 MM Allen screw....this is what I had to do on a couple of em, but really if it's that tight I'd just leave it alone...it obviously has thread lock....
Also, no need to thread lock any screw that is going into plastic...

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Makarur, do your self a favor and get rid of that drill for the build. If anything get a Dremel. Handy to have. If you pop the head off, "Hopefully not using the screw gun to put screws on and off" good luck. I tried dapping it out and no luck. Being so close to the frame., i tried to pried the frame from the screw from the back side of the frame where the bolt snap at. Hope that makes sense. Probably not. Give that a try. It's kinda of a hit or miss when it comes to strip heads.

Admiral

Hi makarther, I have had great success removing screws like that by cutting a slot in them with the Dremel and using a straight screwdriver to remove them.

makarthur

Taking the rotor apart and found the supposed brand new (never fly) metal washout base has been worn out. I doubt I even want to fly my 450 with this worn out part. Talking to HK to get replacement.
wearout part.jpg

wearout part.jpg

makarthur

Issue 3 - washers on feathering shaft, three on the left and two on the right

Got a replacement rotor and take it down to apply thread lock and lub. How many washers should be there?
feathering shaft washer.jpg
feathering shaft 3 washer.jpg

feathering shaft washer.jpg

feathering shaft 3 washer.jpg

Top Bottom