450 HK 450 good mod to increase stability

I have several of these choppers and have been experimenting with flybar weights.
Adding one more each side ( standard HK weights ) increases stability markedly, two more ( three each side ) makes the chopper really docile , obviously they must be set up for equal distance from the usual point.
Youi can turn them up on a lathe if you have one but be careful to get them as near exaclty the same weight.
I would recommend this for a beginner as it makes the heli much more manageable for first flights , maneouvrbility is still well acceptable and not lagging , the only downside I can see so far is that in a crash the flybar is carrying more inertia and likely to extend the damage further.
I will post a video as soon as I get round to it.

EyeStation

That makes a lot of sense, but why would the manufacturer only supply you with only one set on a new heli? Maybe they have discovered a couple other points aside from the increased damage in a crash.
I would suggest balancing both sets of weights individually with respect to inner and outer FB weight.
I definitely want to see how this works out. My 450xl is getting a rest from crashing while I am enjoying the 130x.

Maybe the makers haven`t thought of it yet, I had the feeling that bigger or more weight on the flybar would act like a heavier gyroscope with the steadying effect more enhanced.
My idea of using individual weights is so that they can be added in small increments to gradually get the stability to where a beginner can have an easier time with control therefore to bypass the crash and bash phase of learning that is so demoralising or character building depending on your point of view.
One of my Hks was so lively that to fly it in my garden was asking for trouble , three weights each side has made it a pleasure to use and completely docile, I should point out that I am not into 3D , I just want to be able to fly a chopper competently so it looks like the real thing , at least I can now start on scale fuzes without worrying about writing them off.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, adding weight to the flybar will help with stability, but will also slow down reactions that you give the heli. Also, with a weight being that far out and that heavy, make sure you have grub screws on the flybar paddles or they will turn. Ask me how I know lmao.

The main thing is with increased stability it goes a long way to reducing PIE or over control whatever you want to call it , making it a good idea for learners as the heli is more forgiving and easier to recover.
If you are going for 3D then remove them at a later date, As Tony says make sure everything is screwed down otherwise things will come adrift as they always do with helis.

Top Bottom