History In The Making:)

wolfman76

Graham you have entirely to much free time lately. .. Michelle said thank God she can't see right now..Wait I think you found Loch Ness (SIKE)!!!! Lol

Graham Lawrie

Lol a sad time for Scotland:( it has been very upsetting. As a proud true Highlander I am gutted and not ashamed to admit it has upset me and I have shed tears.
I have many many English friends and as a Royal Marine I swore allegiance to the UK and crown. To this day I will fight for my country the UK.

I just feel we have missed an opportunity of self governance.

SOAR ALBA :)

callsign4223

Staff member
Hey Graham, I was wondering what this looked like from someone in the situation over there. Has it been pretty civil, or are there a lot of hard feelings? Why push for succession besides self governance? You were obviously on the pro-succession side, did you have any misgivings about leaving the union?

Graham Lawrie

Hi Matt, everything was all very amicable, but the usual minority jumping on the band wagon a few minor fights in the cities:( No hard feelings its jus embarrassing that there has been an opportunity missed. As a country we have to go with what is decided in London. We are to small to make any differences in policy or change.

It hopefully has let the powers that be know we need change. As a nation we are taxed very heavily. Our standard of living is poor and with the world recession everything is very expensive for example it is about $10 for a gallon of petrol.

I was happy to leave the union, the UK government is full of uperclass old boys network, very corrupt:( A sad sad time for Scotland:( But it is a democracy and i just have to suck it and see:)

callsign4223

Staff member
I feel your pain on some of this Graham. Here in America it sometimes feels as if my vote has no authority. I live in one of the less populated areas of the country and it feels as if the giant metropolises control the policy of the country. I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the US we are stuck in a defacto 2 party system and it feels as if both parties are out of touch with any of the ideas myself or my associates have. While I love the US, I sometimes wish it were broken up into about 10 separate countries because the problems faced by those on the coasts are completely different from those faced by me and the policies needed to create a civil society there don't apply here and vice versa.

Something you said really resonated. "UK government is full of uperclass old boys network"
Does it feel like if you wanted to run for office it would be a waste of time? I have thought about running here just to try to make a difference but for all of our propaganda on being equal here there are still classes of folks and if you aren't in the political club then it's almost impossible to even get noticed here.

Graham Lawrie

Its the same here Matt. I never thought of the US being the same:) We had an opportunity to make decisions in Scotland count for Scotland. It has shook the whole country in the UK.

Change is ahead for all of us, but it could have been so much quicker:( I am still very proud of Scotland and if i look far enough back in my history(1700,s) my family were English.

The whole country is run from London. The whole country is in a mess. I tried to explain to my son who is 9 about tax. We are at 20% tax here, then we have national insurance, then everything we buy is taxed from food to petrol, the cost of living is horrendous. Poverty is at an all time high. I tried to work it out but gave up when i got to over 50% of my salary disappearing in tax.

I feel as if a bit of me has died, it is as if i am in mourning:( and the worst of it is i never saw the emotion coming and cant believe it has affected me this way.If you asked me 2 days ago would i be passionate and emotional about the outcome, i would have laughed at you.

The oppression in history in Scotland has been here for 300 years. We have lost our chance. I even cancelled my Facebook account because of the rubbish that was going on it. As i said on it before i shut it down, the war may be over but the battle has just begun:)

Slobberdog

Dude I hear you loud and clear, but I have to commend you scots for having the guts to try,

Around me in the Rhondda, we have some of the highest poverty rates within the UK, with inflation rising at 2x the rate of rise in peoples pay its only gonna get worse, friend I hope I am wrong, I am not a believer in politics, and not a believer in the government we have, but more than ever I fear that at the next general election the country will decide to go back to being run by the bunch of idiots that put us in a position that the now current government has had to force these austerity measures on us to try and get the UK on track for the future,

I might not believe in Mr Cameron but I understand what he has done and think at least he had the cahunas to make that decision not what would give him popularity votes, the area around me is stoic Labour, but I fear the day that we have them at the helm, cos it will mean my daughter will have a harder time coming her way than we are having now,

Scotland will have a better time at the table from now on and maybe so will Wales, but this position would not have come about if not for a nation that had guts and determination,

Here's hoping for a good future, for us and more importantly our kids, they are the future,

P.s. Will miss you on FB mate, especially those views of the hills!

Graham Lawrie

I think Wales is in the same boat as Scotland Kev, i always think we are the same, governed by our overlords in Westminster:( I am not political at all, but an 85% turnout says it all.

I too was not thinking of myself but my children and their children:)

There is a bad movement in English politics now that is borderline BNP, and that worries me.

Facebook was taking up too much time, and mine was getting bombarded with comments and pictures that i disagreed with, who knows i might come back? I have heard Istagram is better?

I will put pictures on here Kev, especially when i get my quad:) Looking for a camera just now:)

vimy

Dude I hear you loud and clear, but I have to commend you scots for having the guts to try,

Around me in the Rhondda, we have some of the highest poverty rates within the UK, with inflation rising at 2x the rate of rise in peoples pay its only gonna get worse, friend I hope I am wrong, I am not a believer in politics, and not a believer in the government we have, but more than ever I fear that at the next general election the country will decide to go back to being run by the bunch of idiots that put us in a position that the now current government has had to force these austerity measures on us to try and get the UK on track for the future,

Scotland will have a better time at the table from now on and maybe so will Wales, but this position would not have come about if not for a nation that had guts and determination,

Here's hoping for a good future, for us and more importantly our kids, they are the future,

P.s. Will miss you on FB mate, especially those views of the hills!

I lamented the fact that Wales, my birth country didn't have a referendum the same time as Scotland. Considering neither have many Tory seats, it would have been an opportunity to get rid of the dead hand of Westminster once and for all.

The English have proven themselves incapable of governing effectively from Westminster. Anything past London's city limits means nothing to them, especially Scotland and Wales.

They even treat the north of England with contempt.

If I had been a Scottish resident, I would have voted for Scottish independence, if for nothing else than to give Westminster and Cameron a kick where it hurts.

sarconastic

We here in the US can relate to some of the things you deal with that is for sure. But no the oppression, yet! Our government is tryng really hard to oppress us but we will prevail.

but our taxes here are approaching your rates as well, and were getting less for it that you are. They Are forcing us to buy their health care whether we want it or not, then pay part of it out of pocket afterwards. that is after the 40-48% we pay in in taxes each year between Federal, state, city and local taxes. It is ridiculous, Hopefully you guys straighten it out so the rest of us can se how it is done.

Good Luck

Woody

Top Bottom