500 High Voltage question

pvolcko

So I'm collecting parts and kit on a new heli. It's going to be a HV setup. 6S. 100A CC ESC. Ikon.

My question for the HV gurus here: Do I need to run a BEC (such as CC BEC Pro) or can I run straight off a 2S lipo pack?

I believe the answer is that I can run off a dedicated Rx 2S lipo pack. Need some guidance to be sure.

Next: Assuming I can run off 2S lipo direct, should I? The BEC can pump out 8.4V consistently, as opposed to the 2S lipo direct which will trail off as it is drained. Also need to recharge the Rx pack separately every few flights. The benefit to direct off lipo, as far as I can tell, is high current delivery capability both sustained and for handling peak draws. BECs powered off 6S typically have reduced current delivery capability (maybe 13A, I think, on the CC BEC Pro on 6S source, 20A short duration peak).

Need guidance.

Tony

Staff member
As long as your servos can handle a fully charged lipo, then you can do that way. It's just another redundant system on a big bird. If you were to use a BEC, and something was to happen to the main batteries (everyone with a 12s setup has smoked a pack at one time or another), then you will lose all control. However, if you are running a separate Rx battery, you will still have the option of an auto or something.

If your servos can not handle that kind of voltage, then get the lipo and run a BEC off of it. I would shoot for about 5.5 volts.

pvolcko

Servos I'm getting will def handle the voltage. Not sure waht the Ikon can handle, need to investigate that some more.

Could see what current the CC BEC PRo will be able to deliver with 2S or 3S source voltage. Should be close to 16-18A I would think. Should be plenty of current for these servos even on high peak load.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks liek Ikon will handle 8.4-8.5V so good there too. Guess can start off with direct 2S lipo and then convert to BEC if I find the need. Just need to remember to charge that Rx pack. :)

Tony

Staff member
I would start off by charging every two flights and find out what you are using out of it. Then make your calculations from there. Just as you would with a flight pack.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
The Ikon input voltage should be from 4v to 8.4v. I have 6v going to my IKON so I don't have to add a voltage reg for my tail. it works fine, eventually I want to run max voltage to ikon and servos.

murankar

Staff member
That is a back up guard, in case you lose power that device will continue to feed power in the system so you can land. What I meant by tail was your butt, lol.

Top Bottom