high, i'm purrcy

purrcy

Hi, I'm the new boy. I've been away from rc gliders for about 50 years, and I'm dying to get back. I'm starting with an Art-Tech Minimoa glider and a JR XG6 transmitter. I got the Minimoa since it looked tough, and I thought I needed that for my first glider. I got the XG6 because I was told that the XG8 was the best transmitter for $500, and I don't have $500 right now and I thought that I could use the 6-channel receiver with the XG8 when I get it; I also have the idea that a 6-channel transmitter is all I need for a while.
I lost my first glider 50 years ago because I crashed it every time I went out, and pretty soon it got so heavy with epoxy that the wings folded when I did a loop ... and it crashed right into a concrete
walkway; not much was left. Then I got married ... and too busy my job. and rc gliders was not my priority any more.
Now that I have retired and I'm getting pretty close to the end of this life my priorities have changed. And I can tell you that rc and gliders have changed too! The last time that I had an experience like this was when I went shopping for my first car: it was confusing since there were so many models to choose from, and they were all expensive. Cars don't have anything over rc gliders in that respect.
My next glider is not going to be a foamy! And I'm shopping. So far the best web site that I've found for a new glider is SoaringUSA.com. They are not too far from me, and they seem to carry only the best; and their are so, so many to choose from. I get on to my computer every day and I always wind up there.
I live on top of a hill, so I get an updraft every day. I plan on just walking out my front door and giving it a toss, and having it return to me in an hour, and catching it before it lands on the concrete. I haven't had my maiden flight yet, and I can hardly wait to bust my cherry! I'm still waiting on a few things like parts and tools and learning how to program my XG6.
Since I'm almost a virgin to this sport, I would appreciate any comments that you can give me that would help me choose my next glider, and especially help me program this damn XG6.

Lee

Welcome to the forum Purrcy.
I'm a heli and plane guy, but want to get into the gliders as soon as time and money allow. Looking at getting a DLG glider to throw around at the local park. We look forward to seeing your pictures and videos from your back garden launch site.
All the best
Lee

treff

Welcome to the forum purccy I'm sure if you need any help someone will be along with some great advice. Like you I'm a died in the wool glider guider but in my dotage I've been bitten by the helicopter bug.
Great fun but very expensive on spare parts. Good luck with the new TX and glider I'm sure you will have hours of fun. Cheers from Wales

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum purccy I'm sure if you need any help someone will be along with some great advice. Like you I'm a died in the wool glider guider but in my dotage I've been bitten by the helicopter bug.
Great fun but very expensive on spare parts. Good luck with the new TX and glider I'm sure you will have hours of fun. Cheers from Wales

Tony

Staff member
Purccy, hopefully you will find yourself here on this website every day as well. We are full of a bunch of people that just love to help get others in the air and help them out. No matter the question, just ask it. We are here to help.

I'm not a glider guy myself, but in Oklahoma, we don't have many currents that can lift the plane up. So I stick with helicopters and every now and then, a plane. But haven't flown a plane in some time now.

As for the Tx, you should be just fine for quite a while with the 6ch Tx. You can move up into CCPM helicopters with that one if you wanted to.

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome1:

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
Welcome Purrcy; I've always wanted to get into gliders, but never found a good site for them, I will be looking forward to see how you make out. Again welcome aboard!

Top Bottom