Hi nice to find this site

treff

Hi very nice to stumble across this site. Name is Trev and I live in Wales, UK. Been flying slope soarers since they built the great wall in China, a long time. Been out of the rc hobby for about 5 years now and thought I would have a go at a heli which is so different to anything I have done in the past so hope you do not mind lots of stupid questions.

Slobberdog

Hey Trev, first welcome, nice to see a fellow Welshy, what part of Wales do you come from i am from S Wales, I am new to heli's as well, and these guys have helped me loads already.

Kev........

treff

Hey Trev, first welcome, nice to see a fellow Welshy, what part of Wales do you come from i am from S Wales, I am new to heli's as well, and these guys have helped me loads already.

Kev........
Hi Kev nice to meet you. I am from the Ammanford area but hail from the Midlands many years ago. Good slope soaring country ha, ha. Just getting into helis. I have been practicing on FP but only indoors. I did try outside just the once, found the heli three doors away, good landing. Seems to fly better without my input. I have just started on HK 450 build. Very cheap for what you get. Getting all the bits together. I have also gone from 27MHz and 35MHz to 2.4 Spectrum.

Slobberdog

Yes I've done the same route with the heli's, Jan this year i got a fixed pitch trex 100x and got a trex 450 se v2 off a friend as he was not using it, gave it a complete going over and now trying that, as my 100 is back with the model shop. HK is a cheap way to get into the hobby, and you will gain loads of experience putting it together and setting it up, Tony's video's are an excellent watch, would highly recommend.

I am from the Rhondda so not too far away

Kev.........

treff

Yes I've done the same route with the heli's, Jan this year i got a fixed pitch trex 100x and got a trex 450 se v2 off a friend as he was not using it, gave it a complete going over and now trying that, as my 100 is back with the model shop. HK is a cheap way to get into the hobby, and you will gain loads of experience putting it together and setting it up, Tony's video's are an excellent watch, would highly recommend.

I am from the Rhondda so not too far away

Kev.........

Hi Kev
Sounds like you are well on the way. Trex 450 se v2 looks very nice. I know Rhondda quite well my Father was born in Blaen Rhondda and my ancestors lived in the same street, Brook street, Treherbert for about 200 years. So far with Blade MSRX I have kill numerous flowers around the house but great fun. I have a direct line to the spares shop.

Lee

Hey Trev,
Welcome to the forum. I have fond memories of paragliding in Wales. Had one of my best flights from the Long Mynd, during the British Championships. Flew past Birmingham into the Midlands. Got me 9th place overall and the 1st place guy broke the British distance record.
Any heli questions you have, just shout.

Derek

Hi Trev! Welcome to the site! I can assure you, if you have RC questions...this site is the place to be. I surely don't know it all, as I am still probably ranked as a "rookie" heli pilot, but there are alot of very knowledgeable RC guys here. I can promise you that your questions won't be "stupid" while you are learning. Well, it might be stupid if you were to ask how to spell the word "the", lol but if you have questions that you don't know the answer to....just ask. We'll get ya taken care of.

treff

Hey Trev,
Welcome to the forum. I have fond memories of paragliding in Wales. Had one of my best flights from the Long Mynd, during the British Championships. Flew past Birmingham into the Midlands. Got me 9th place overall and the 1st place guy broke the British distance record.
Any heli questions you have, just shout.

Thanks for the welcome Lee and the offer of help.
That sounds like a great flight from Long Mynd. You didn't run into any of our fast jet friends then? Yes you can get amazing lift sometimes. We used to fly scale gliders down here but getting to long in the tooth now so it's the Phase6 type, easier to carry. Just one question if I may regarding helicopters . I brought one of those HK 450 v2 kits, the main blades in the box are plastic I think, quite bendy. Are they any good for learning, or is it a case of chucking them for something better? Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome Dave

Lee

The Blades will do for basic hovering. You may as well use them and buy some better ones from when you have your first crash. The V2 kit will get you in the air, and as you need to replace parts after crashing, upgrade the plastic head parts to metal ones. I know its a little late now but the HK450GT is a much better quality kit for that extra bit of cash. I had two of them and they are both still flying 3 years later with there new owners. The HK kits can suffer from some QC problems, but if you take your time on the build and put it together properly, you will have it flying well in no time. What electronics did you buy for it?

treff

Hi Trev! Welcome to the site! I can assure you, if you have RC questions...this site is the place to be. I surely don't know it all, as I am still probably ranked as a "rookie" heli pilot, but there are alot of very knowledgeable RC guys here. I can promise you that your questions won't be "stupid" while you are learning. Well, it might be stupid if you were to ask how to spell the word "the", lol but if you have questions that you don't know the answer to....just ask. We'll get ya taken care of.

Thanks for the welcome Derek. Looking forwards to the learning curve and getting my brain and thumbs working together.

- - - Updated - - -

The Blades will do for basic hovering. You may as well use them and buy some better ones from when you have your first crash. The V2 kit will get you in the air, and as you need to replace parts after crashing, upgrade the plastic head parts to metal ones. I know its a little late now but the HK450GT is a much better quality kit for that extra bit of cash. I had two of them and they are both still flying 3 years later with there new owners. The HK kits can suffer from some QC problems, but if you take your time on the build and put it together properly, you will have it flying well in no time. What electronics did you buy for it?

Thanks for that Lee. I really did not realize helicopters were so complicated ha, ha. I have not ordered any electronics yet, decisions to be made especially on giro. I will probably go with an orange Rx because they are cheap. I did order a motor and esc from HK but can not remember which. Getting old. I also need, after doing some reading, is loctite blue. It's all a bit different from balsa bashing.

Tony

Staff member
It's a cliche' but the only stupid question is the one that is never asked. And unlike larger forums, you will never be harassed for asking a question on this forum. Nothing but help on here to get you in the air! Thanks for joining up!

:welcome1:

Top Bottom