Hi! I'm new to rc-help.com

Hi guys/gals I'm new to rc-help.com and was directed to the site from a youtube friend of mine mountaindewdude76 Derek. I'm 42 and have a 19 y.o. daughter and 15 y.o. son and we just discovered hobby grade rc in may of 2012. My son and started out by buying a used hirobo shuttle nitro heli. We got it home and started it up and the noise of the engine and blades extended and starting to rotate as I increased the throttle had my heart racing and fear factor pegging the scale.
So, common sense kicked in, a little late but still kicked in and I decided this may be a little to big to start out with. The hirobo was abandoned for now, and we looked for a LHS. After finding one close to us we went there and were completely amazed by all of the neat rc's from planes to boats to heli's to cars. We looked at the helicopters and decided on the blade sr. It looked like a good size to start with. Got it home charged the battery put the training gear on and attempted to spool it up.... and up it went and crash. I went back to the hobby store and bought all the pieces I needed to fix it. And made attempt #2 and up it went and crash. Needless to say that happened 5 times. On my 5th time at the LHS getting parts again to repair the sales person asks me, do you have a sim? I said a sim? no, he went over to a shelf and came back with real flight basic simulator and said stop trying to fly until you can with this. I said thank you I didn't even know there was a sim.
I get home rebuild the blade sr and put it up on the shelf with the shuttle for now. Put the sim in the computer and practice, practice, practice. After about a week I could hover without crashing. And thought wow this is cool! And the whole time I was crashing the sr I kept thinking man what a piece of crap this is. Lol, but it wasn't it was me. So now I can hover and I decide to try sr once again. And i'm able to hover it. After more practice with the sim and a crash here and there I can go left, go right. More practice and I can do nose in for a second. Then a circle. I eventually try the shuttle and can fly it to, and crash, and rebuild.
Now fast forward, somewhere along that time I bought a raptor 30 and trex 450's, then I got the bug and got carried away and bought a super cub. Wow the planes are awesome! And now I have a 28' class A rv that is packed front to back with planes helicopters and parts galore. I got so carried away that I know I spent $20,000.00 in the last year on new and used rc planes and helicopters. Which is a bit crazy because I was buying more then flying. It was like an addiction that I couldn't shake. Nowadays I try to avoid buying any more and concentrate on flying.
Derek my friend from youtube had recently posted some videos of planes he built from dollar tree foam board. And I thought man that's cool the planes really look great and fly nice too. So he told me he got the plans from this site and recommended I join the site and try the build. Well tomorrow my son and I will be trying our first build the edge 540. Derek made us a very informative step by step video on the build. Which I intend to follow along and build it the same way he did. He also gave me suggestions for electronics for it.
So that's my story I'm 42 married with 2 children,Its also great for my son and I hopefully we'll be doing it for years to come. Unfortunately he now has a girlfriend and hardly remembers who dad is. But I remember those days too. So for now I'll take what time I can get with him and I keep trying to get my daughter and wife involved, I make them sim with me and they enjoy it but will only do it when I force it on them.
I'll wrap it up here, thanks for having me and hopefully you's can help me along when my problems arise. Thank you's Virgil

Tony

Staff member
Hey Virgil, welcome to the forum! Derek is a great guy and knows how to fly a thing or two.

I have to warn you though, the Edge 540 is still in the beta stage. I designed this plane, but I have never flown it. I think there have only been a few people that have actually flown it. But from what I have heard, it's very stable and great to have fun with. I also have another plane, the Rc-Help Trainer, which is a high wing trainer plane. I love this thing, but again, Version 3 I have not flown myself yet. I have all the time in the world (or had) to design them, but never any time to fly them.

Make sure to post LOTS of pictures and videos of your toys. I want to see this $20,000 collection of yours. Although I'm sure most of that was replacement parts lol.

:welcome1:

Derek

Hi there, Virgil! I'm glad to see that you finally made your way here. I love this site!!! Lots of great people and tons of useful info. Have fun with the 540 build. There are probably some bugs that need worked out but we are working on it. I now have two of them and I'm hoping to get some good results as I go.

As Tony mentioned, the other RCH plane is the RCH Trainer. A high wing foam board plane. I have one. It's the one that I colored with a Decathlon scheme. Awesome plane! I'm gonna start the v3 of this plane soon and see what happens.

Welcome to RCH!!!

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
Welcome aboard! Good choice not flying the shuttle, it's a older model, and parts are rather tough to get, I'm sure you can find some, but they are most likely used... or pre owned. Again welcome aboard!

wolfman76

WELCOME THE RC-HELP FAMILY!!!! Yup i age Derek is a great guy along with all the other great guys and gals on the site...i need one of those big trailers also but no money to get it or place to park it i have write a few planes and helis also and you are right about the addicting part.. I agree with Tony line up the fleet in the front yard for a group photo lol..... And welcome aboard

Top Bottom