Hi from the UK

Zadren

Hi guys, I'm Darren from Twickenham, UK. I've recently started to dive into the the RC game after I left the RAF.
I've been pottering around with a Blade 120 SR, without much success and a few months ago got my hands on a Blade 450 and a DX6i. I've been having a lot of trouble learning to fly the 450 - being stuck on keeping the thing in a stable tail-in hover, so I can't move on to other more interesting things yet.
Having found this site and the great vids that Tony produces, I'm hopeful that I can now progress (after I rebuild the 450 from the recent hideous crash!)

Just last week, I got hold of my first fixed-wing trainer - an ST Discovery, and have found that I'm a much better pilot at fixed wing. I still desperately want to get competent with my heli though.

Great to meet you all.

Daz :)

callsign4223

Staff member
Hi, glad you found us. Don't be afraid to move into forward flight, the helicopter actually gets more stable when you start moving around. Holding a real steady hover is very difficult.

Lee

Welcome Daz for a fellow Brit. Airplanes or Planks as we call them :D are great for improving your stick control and orientation. Stick at it with the helis mate, its a buzz for sure.

Tony

Staff member
:welcome1:

Welcome to the forum Darren. I have posted a reply in your other thread in regards to your questions. Hope to see you in the air very soon.

And yes, fixed wing is much easier to learn on however it's not as gratifying as your first heli flight. There is just something about a rotary wing that is just awesome.

murankar

Staff member
I think I saw this quote on a T-shirt somewhere: "airplanes are for folks who can't fly heli's".

Keep at it and it will come. Takes many many many batteries and time. Helicopters are difficult to fly so don't worry about it.

stokke

Hey Daz, and welcome to the forum!

Take it from a fellow newbie; get yourself a simulator! Crashes are for freeee :D
TIP: Your DX6 will connect directly to the Phoenix sim.

BOKI

Zarden: this is BOKI From Marseilles ,IL I hate to see someone who takes the easy way out! I have done many things in My life but I don't Quit when things get tough! You can Fly a Helicopter if you want to bad enough! I also have a 120sr & a DX8 I've wrecked once on low battery! But you have to buy parts & keep trying! Get people to help you or join a club & ask many dumb questions! The person that is dumb is the person afraid to ask! Helicopters are fun & you won't regret it if you keep trying! The worst part about flying a plane is landing! I can't use My right leg right now but I will walk again & I hope soon! I am going to Fly my helicopter sitting in a chair right now! Keep trying & people will say thats the guy that use to crash! I'm not good now either but I'm sure going to keep trying till I am! Don't be a couch potato get out & DO IT! Garth Brooks a Country Western Singer had a song Dare To Do The Dance ! Thats what life is all about! You can FLY helicopters I know It! ! This wasn't meant to cut you down ! Meant for you to keep trying ! ! Happy Flying & keep trying! BOKI

Zadren

Thank you for the warm welcome guys. Don't worry, I'm not in danger of quitting and just flying fixed wing. After 20 years in the RAF as an engineer, I have an affinity for both! :)

I do have Phoenix flight sim already, but I need to spend more time on it. It seems it can be harder than flying a real model sometimes.
The rebuild on my 450 is pretty much done - just the setup to concentrate on now, and I want to make sure I get it right.
I'm loving the hobby, so far. But it IS frustrating.

BOKI

Zarden; This is BokI I was really worried about you quitting & I guess I don't even know you but I see even the pros do crash sometimes! I know I have & it is frustrating & costly! I know a few guys who offered to help Me !Also a good person who can help setup your transmitter helps out! Didn't mean to bud in your business ! BOKI Happy Flying & hope you don't have many crash's. Murankar gave me some good tips & they did help Me! Its 3:30PM Illinois Time.

BOKI

Hi; Murankar & Zadren One of My best friends has a T-rex 450 pro any way he got Leukmia & has 10 years or less or more know one knows to live! He flew the T-rex 450 pro & said it really was fast! His brother lives in Michigan & is a good Helicopter pilot & plane also! He also is very good at setting up Helicopters & Transmitters! I am in the process of buying the T-rex 450 pro from him in a few weeks! I have the 120sr now & I'm not going to fly the T-rex450 pro till I get use to flying helicopters like the 120sr good first! When I buy the 450 helicopter from his brother is going to set it up with dual rate & expo! So then I can maybe keep from crashing the 450 helicopter! That's My plans but out in the field is different than Phoenix Simulator! Hope I also do Ok Murankar & Zadren learning! Its good to talk to you guys & I hope we can pass tips back & forth to help each other! I have the Dx8 & The DX6i & Dx7s are about the same I think programing! I could copy the set up & maybe post it in the future! Might save us all a few crashes & dollars $ hope! Which means more fun ! Better go ! Enjoy your flying! Any one know how to post pictures or maybe the transmitter set ups ! ? Marseilles Illinois Enjoy your flying ! BOKI Oh My best friend now flies Raden Pro Glider & also the Fun Cub with big tires on it! He also has the 120sr helicopter!

murankar

Staff member
Well I spent just over 4 hours today on the sim before I went out to do the real deal. Treat the sim as a real helicopter not a game. I have had my sim since January some time and never really sat down to use it as a learning tool. I got the bug and want to fly so I did and never spent a whole lot of time learning the skills needed to get a 450 in the air. Now I know I need to slow down in the sim and just learn to fly. I have stated before I can do more in the sim than on the real deal. Mostly because I have not learned the fundamentals till recently. I got tired of just hovering so now I am taking it a step further. Learn the orientations on the 120sr, get comfortable with it. Practice switching back and forth from the different positions and get used to hovering.

One thing about the 120sr you need to know is that it will rock back and forth naturally. It is caused by the flybar being at 45 degree angle to the rotor head. It will take some getting used to but you will in time. The down side to that is that your 450 does not have that tendency. It will move on you but not like the 120sr. Good luck and I send my prayers to your friend.

BOKI

Murankar ,Zadren: Good to get replies we can get a few tips on things just from telling our experience with our Helicopters Planes & Transmitters & if I can help out in anyway let me know OK! Practice is the name of the game know matter what you do to get better ! Enjoy your flying! Sunday 10:21 AM Marseilles Illinois!

taizi

Hi glad to meet you too
my name is Paul and i used to live just down the road from you in Sunbury-on-Thames, i now live in China but its great to hear from a fellow Brit, especially close to my roots
Good luck with your flying, your in the right place the guys here are really great and helpful, im still on 250's but will be getting a 450 sport when cash allows

practice is the key but all in your own time because i've just got to nose flight and taken the stabilisers off, and i started last year

good luck
Paul

BOKI

Hi Tazii; Just got your message this morning glad to to talk to you! Really don't know My way around this site very good yet! Just into RC Helicopters this year only know a few people on this site so far murankar & Zadren & white cloud now! I'm just learning everything I can & hope not to crash to much! Talk to you again later! Happy Flying & KEEP THE Right SIDE UP BOKI Illinois 9:15 AM Tuesday

taizi

you too mate
just remember its a steep learning curve and nothing is a silly question, we are all here to help

hows things in the home of Rugby, last time i went to twiks was for the Aussie Vs barbarians game last year and i cant remember much after the game, but it was a great day, and a thumbing head the day after lol

Paul

Zadren

The home of rugby is wet, windy and no good for flying! It's tough to find places to fly hereabouts - maybe I should sneak into the stadium since the missus works there as a volunteer tour guide!
All that said, Quins won the premiership this spring :triumphant:

How did you end up in China, Paul?

Boki...send good wishes to your friend.

BOKI

Hi Zadren; Its so hot & dry in Marseilles Illinois looks like a desert! We went ot to a drive In place to eat in a small tow 35 miles west of us & it was the only town we saw green! We couldn't believe it! We haven't had only 2 tenths of rain one day & 3 tenths another in 9 weeks or more 1 Just 95 degrees 97 & 100 105 &107 & 110 & real muggy humid & hi dew point can't even breath outside! They are predicting heavy rain in the fall . Still waiting to get My T-rex 450 Pro but couldn't go outside now anyway! Plus I don't know how to fly it yet anyway! Better learn to fly the 120sr first! Talk to you later BOKI July 31st 7:46 PM Illinois Time ! Keep The Right Side UP !

taizi

hi

long story but the short version
i worked as an engineer in south China making 3 wheeled buggies and baby products for mothercare 10 years ago, met a lovely chinese fashion designer, married her lived in the Uk for 8 years with her, then decided to have a child, she came back to China and i joined her at the start of this year, now im an english teacher and we live in her home city of Dalian which is in the farthest north east of china bordering north korea
its on the coast and i have flying areas everywhere although it can get very windy, so i sometimes have to go down to the underground carpark

go quins hehehe

Paul

BOKI

Hi taizi; This is BOKI you seem to have lived quite the life very interesting! You seem to have bad weather also! My weather is Hi temperatures & no rain at all! I have lots of places to Fly but its to hot & humid & hi dew points so you can't even breath when you go outside! My best friend is coming home from the Western States motorcycle trip with his friend ! He texted me last night & said he was wore out! They have drove 3,600 miles so far! His friend has a new leg from the knee down! My friend has Leukimia So he said they are really tired! He is going to sell Me his new T-rex 450 Pro . He has to get it at his brothers in Michigan! after he rests up! Nice to talk to you & talk to you again later! BokI Wednesday 2:10 AM Enjoy Flying Keep The Right SIDE UP!

Top Bottom