Hey Guys!

Lanman

I found this forum a short time ago searching for some info. Looks like another good place to learn so I signed up. I live in Central California at the base of the Sierra foothills between Yosemite and Kings Canyon. It's mostly rural farm land here so plenty of open spaces to fly. Once upon a time I used to fly RC sailplanes but I then got a job and all my free time vaporized. I retired about 10 years ago, but my career has been in systems engineering and network management.

A few years back a friend asked me what I knew about flying RC Helis. I tried to talk him out of it but ended up talking myself into it. Although I didn't have any recent RC Heli experience, I've always been intrigued by them. So... I bought a Tarot 450 kit for my first RC heli and surprisingly it's still flying today. Interestingly I managed to dig up my old hobby knife set which still has my old AMA sticker on the lid.

IMG_1299.JPG

I'm still flying the 450 and I've added an Align 500 and an MCPX BL to my hangar. Been trying to fly Helis couple years now and I'm still very much a beginner. No 3D flying here. Just very basic sport flying on a good day. Part of the problem is I take long breaks in between flying sessions so progressing has been slow. You'd think being retired I'd have plenty of time to fly but it hasn't worked out that way. Always something competing for my time.

Recently I decided to give multi rotors a try and built a Tricopter based on the RCExplorer design. I had a rough time getting some the problems sorted out but right now it seems to be flying OK. Hopefully it continues that way because I actually like flying the Tri more than I expected. I've been fighting the Afro ESC motor sync issue although I think the new Afro firmware may have fixed it for me. The sync problem has been very intermittent so only more flying time will tell.

So that's my intro to me and my RC.

Thanks.
Dave

IMG_1299.JPG

Derek

HI there, Dave! We're glad to have you here! So you fly heli's and multirotors? That's awesome! We have several members that are very active on the forum that fly both. If you have an issue, chances are we'll be able to get you the answers!

Take your time and browse the forum. When you run into a problem and you have questions, just find the appropriate section of the forum and post your questions. We'll get ya taken care of. We aren't the largest "rc forum" on the internet but we always help.

wolfman76

WELCOME TO THE RCHELP FAMILY DAVE... glad to have you as Derek said we are all always more then happy to help in any way we can. ..

Barge

Welcome aboard Dave, I fly a hex as well as a 450L, I really enjoy the hex, it's like it is on rails and have just started shooting video's but I really do need a 2 axis gyro mount but I'm impressed with the lack of vibration in the solid mount. You'll learn heaps around here.

Cheers.

Lee

Welcome to the forum Dave.
I just realised which Dave this is LOL.
Good to have you on here.
Show the rest of the guys your fleet.
See you on the next Heli Hangout :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Hey Dave, welcome to RCH! I have been wanting to build a Tri for a while, just can't bring myself to drop the dimes on it lol. Keep us posted and post up some more pictures!!!

:welcome1:

Top Bottom