Misc Hexa props

WyDiablo

I bought these props just to finish out my order and use up my extra 10 bucks in the pay pal account. They arrived today and I noticed right away the the hub thickness was not 9.75mm but it is 6.85 instead. According to my measurements I still have enough thread in the nut to tighten the prop down. And it feels like its really on there pretty tight. So what do you guys think about these? I guess I could hunt down 1 or 2 more washers to make up the difference.

P.S.
Just ordered my Naza GPS this morning and can't wait for it to arrive. So I hope I don't bend your ears too much and by asking dumb questions. Sometimes I am a slow learner so be patience with me please.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
One of these days I will put this in my sig.

There Are No Dumb or Stupid Questions

So don't worry about asking anything here. You will always get a true response. As for the hub thickness, I would take the prop off, and spin the spinner all the way on then measure the gap. If you are 2mm+ closer to seated than the hub is thick, you should be fine. However I think I remember Tasajara(sp) saying these props made him lose flight time, were a lot louder and much more out of balance than another brand. I could be wrong and I cant' remember what thread it was in. I'm sure he will get on here and correct me if I'm mistaken.

WyDiablo

Well I installed the props with an extra washer and strapped on a 3000Mah battery. They did seem to be somewhat louder, but as far as flight time I saw no difference. And the handling was not bad at all. Right now its pretty windy here today so I'll wait until tomorrow for more flying and less wind maybe.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If your props arent ballenced you will see it in your videos. I defenatly ballence my props with my dobro ballencer! Makes a huge difference! Lol. Well worth the investment!

Now on the NAZA, I just got mine last week. So I'm looking for help setting it up too! Plenty of videos on you tube though!

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
They should do the trick! I've bought the APC's. They were about the same price. Then I bought a set of graupner's for when I get proficient at flying her. They are supposed to be the best for fpv.

WyDiablo

Yea I have heard that the graupners are good props that most folks use on quads and hexas, But the graupers that i have looked at are pretty pricey and they were the 10" and 8" props. I don't use the standard DJI motors and the props that I use fit a collet that fits a 3.17 motor shaft.

WyDiablo

Sorry I thought that by the price you meant that 6 were 9.24, but I see that they are 9.24 each lol. I have found then from $9 to 15 bucks each depending on the website.

Tasajara

The props you listed on the RCtimer site I have used, sorry to say I could not get them to fly as smooth as I would like. One thing I do if I want to have a smooth flying Quad, Hexa ect... Is spend a little extra on the props. The ones I have used are GemFan, APC , Graupner and Carbon Fiber.

GemFan would be the cheapest props I would buy for a quad, APC comes in next. Then it is a toss up between the Graupner and the CF slow fly props I am trying. I don't have enough flight time on the CF ones to say they are better are worse than My Graupners.

As Tony said, I was using Graupners on my FPV quad and broke one. I didn't have a replacement so I had to use a set of GemFan props. I did get close to a min. less flight time. In a hover in the yard you may not see the difference. But when you start doing a lot of forward flight the flex you get from a cheap prop will be load up the motor and flight times will suffer. Along with pulling more amps. I dropped my amp load by 5 amps when I use Graupner props over a GemFan. You can do a simple test, grab the props by the ends and pick up on the quad,/ hexa and see it the prop bends a good bit. Your better props will not flex that much, and tend to hold there shape. That is why I like to use the Graupners and CF props no flex. mean smoother flights. The prop want deform in flight. But I understand if you are on a budget and the higher priced ones are out of reach. But also think about how much money you have in you rig and think do I want to trust hundreds of dollars to a cheap made prop that may break and cause it all to hit the ground.
I had this happen with a gemfan prop.
You can see the in flight vibration before it crashed.

This is the same motors and same quad with Graupner props.

You can see how straight they spin very little deflection

But in the end it all comes down to what works best for you... :pride:

Last edited by a moderator:

WyDiablo

Thanks for all the info on props guys. I now know a little more about whats best as far as props go. Most sites wil not list the "Hub" thickness on there props. So that makes me kinda leary about buyig them. Mine have a 9.7MM hub thickness with a 5mm hole sze. So thanks again for the help guys and keep them flying.

Top Bottom