General Here is something else to look for during setup

murankar

Staff member
Ok GUYS and GALS

I listen to RC HELI NATION (thanks Lee) on my phone through podcast. These guys give lots of good advise and I caught this one in my podcast feed.
This is about swash phasing. Basically if you give back elevator and the tail drifts without input then you may have a phasing issue. Give the article a read and post your discussion on this.

Phasing - The the free performance upgrade » RC Heli Nation

pvolcko

Found these guys a week or two back, too. Been listening to episodes since. Pretty cool show and decent production values.

Glad I found it. Was jonesing for something heli related to listen to while working since I ripped through most of the smacktalk stuff already. :) Hoping Bert and Bobby start making smacktalk episodes again.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Its funny that I just posted something related to that today about my Vibe and tracx head

good article.

AND hey they used the Whiplash for it :D :D :D hehee

Lee

The two guys Justin and Nick on the show are responsible the the V2 Whiplash.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Thanks again for posting this

I read through again, and ofcourse like I said it was a whippy , so I had to check my bird too.. And low and behold, I was out or phase just like the pics

BUT

IKON MADE IT EASY as 1-2-3... It was so easy and that difference in the pics ended up being about 3 degrees of phasing correction. Even out a digital gauge on the blade and pushes elevator just like they said, and at 3 degrees, the thing was at point.... No movement !

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this. All my birds will be inspected

Learn something new every day!! Haha!! :D

murankar

Staff member
Glad I was able to post some useful information. Lets here your report on how much different your helis handle. I am sure mine is out also but since I fly with a normal tail gyro I wont be able to correct it with out fancy mixing.

pvolcko

I'm left wondering: why are manufacturers putting out helis with out-of-the-box phasing issues? Even on Whiplash's and, presumably, other relatively high end brands?

pvolcko

Put a longer or shorter blade grip arm on it so it is perfectly aligned with the swash link ball, and make sure the servo link points and connecting links are equidistant to mainshaft center line.

I suppose, ultimately, the servo arm geometry and servo setup plays into it too, which the manufacturers can't control. Not perfectly 90'd then you will get slight phasing issues as one arm moves more or less than the other at a given angular position change in the servo.

Guess I have to look into this on the helis now, too. Tinker tinker. :)

Top Bottom