General help please

helichad

I just finished putting my trex500 together from a crash. I changed all the servos, main shaft, feathering shaft , blades, tail boom, torque tube, ant tail assembly. It flys great but hovering for a minute or to, the power cuts out and the heli falls to the ground. Put the throttle stick back down, and then back up, it spools up but power cuts out again. Battery gets kind of hot. Any suggestions would be appreciated thank you.

Tony

Staff member
There are a few things that can cause this. Make sure your gear mesh is correct. If it's too tight, it will pull too many amps and over heat the electronics. Also make sure you are flying with a full battery. The lower the voltage, the higher the amp draw to keep the heli in the air.

How hot is the motor and ESC after you get done flying?

pvolcko

You've checked all the wiring out, both motor/esc power, and power to receiver and/or FBL unit? No cuts in the insulation anywhere or, worse, into the wire stands themselves? Crash didn't strain the wire connections inside the ESC, BEC, or other components, causing them to become faulty and perhaps disconnecting when they heat up? Bearings are all free spinning (another cause of overloading drivetrain and causing heat buildup in motors and electronics).

helichad

Battery pretty hot for that one minute, hotter than usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything checked out OK. But don't know bout the esc.

Tony

Staff member
It's sounding like either your battery or ESC is going out and kicking in the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) in the ESC. If your battery didn't get this hot before the crash, then I think pvolcko is onto something with a damaged battery. If you ripped some strands of wire, or partially pulled a solder joint loose, it's going to have more resistance passing the current thus heating up the battery and causing the ESC to see a lower voltage. Do you have another battery to test with?

Top Bottom