500 help please servos are going crazy on 3GX

holtneil

Hi guys hope you had a great xmas , well i got my cobra body for my 500 pro , i am not impressed its poo for the money it cost , any way i got stuck in changed all parts from the pro frame to the cobra frame ,i put all servos in the same place on new frame , made all links the length align say 50mm well at mid stick with servo arms at 90 deg ,swash was not level .
So i levelled it had to reduce front links now its level at mid stick , at full throttle is not so used servo end points to level it but as you try to adjust it ( say the elev)the servo goes all the way down or all the way up ,then when you bring throttle down the pitch servo goes all the way up then stops , so as you adjust it, it then goes all the way down and the elev servo then start to go up
I re-flashed 3GX makes no difference
What the hell is going on when i built the pro it set up first time swash levelled ok was so easy to do now its a night mare , i know i am missing some thing ,i even levelled servos and swash in DIR mode sets up right but as soon as the 3 GX is set for flight the servos are all over the place again
Any ideas please

Tony

Staff member
Are you sure you don't have the aileron and pitch servos crossed? It's easy to do. The aileron should be on the right side when looking at it from the rear.

holtneil

Hi Tony Merry Christmas my friend , i will go and check , its strange i go into DIR mode and swash is level top,mid,and bottom as soon as it in flight mode the swash is all over the place , right going to check now

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tony yes aile is on the right as looking from rear , i reflashed 3gx with v3.1 did make any difference so then v5 and still the same , i must had worn out your 3gx set up videos it all sets up spot on while in DIR mode but as soon as your out of that servos are not staying level , i even set up a new model in my DX9 still didnt work , its even got the the point of thinks about changing servo around to see if its servo or gyro

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I must have mis read your post. When going into normal flight mode, the swash will do weird things. IMO, 5.0 is good, but 2.1 has to be the best firmware for the 3GX. But the swash moving when you are ready to fly, and messing with the sticks are normal. If you want, post up a quick video if I'm still not understanding what is going on.

holtneil

Hi Tony just uploading it now , wont be long i hope

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tony here it is

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah that is normal. I think there is an adjustment in the computer program where you can adjust it. It will be a comp setting if it's in there.

And one issue that I see is you have your balls in the outside holes of the arms. You really should have them in the inside holes with a 3 axis gyro.

But that is normal on the swash. Well, as normal as you can get with a 3GX.

holtneil

HI Tony i did have them on the inner hole did work , it hard to work out the 500 pro has them in outer hole and the cobra book does not do any thing to do with set up of heli , So do you think it will fly like that , when it was the pro the swash was 1005 level and it hovered really well , i throught as the swash was moving the heli will be unstable

- - - Updated - - -

1005 is ment to be 100% pc is playing up

Tony

Staff member
The issue with the balls being in that outer hole is it doesn't put your links in line with the swash balls and you need more movement with the servo arms than you are getting. Otherwise, the helicopter is going to feel very twitchy.

holtneil

Hi Tony i put balls in to inner holes , i tried to set up again on the 12th go thw swash is level bottom and mid stick , its level at full throttle for 2 seconds then the elev starts to drop down till the swash is about 20 degs approx , so how can i set up pitch with swash moving , this 3GX has played up from day one , if you remember all the tail wag and kick on V5 , a few weeks back the tail wag started again , i put it down to being cold outside , but it may be gyro failing
new problem on 3GX - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
What that is, is elevator precomp. When you do pitch pumps, if you are nose or tail heavy just slightly, the nose or tail will drop.

IMO, do not go back to 3.1. It's horrible on the ground. If you do anything, go back to 2.1. It's the last stable version that is easy to setup, and there are no known issues with it.

but if you have the money, I highly suggest an AR7200BX or the Ikon as those gyro's just work out of the box. There is none of this stuff.

But if you want to keep chugging along with the 3GX, that's cool too.

I can assure you, the swash will not do that in the air. Or it has not happened to me anyway. Yes, the swash moves on teh bench, but that is without the helicopter in the air. These things read from teh gyros, and you gave it an input, but the helicotper has not moved. To set your pitch, you will always do this in DIR mode, never when teh gyros are active. It will change when you come out of DIR mode, but this is normal for the 3GX.

holtneil

HI Tony well thanks for that i didnt know that you set pitch up in DIR mode , i may give it a go as your happy it will not happen in flight, but in the mean time i will look into getting the AR7200BX , your the second person that said the beastx is good one to get

murankar

Staff member
Just make sure you get a v3. The v1 is very basic but flies like a champ. The v3 has a lot of features that make it competitive with the ikon.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah, the 7200 is far better than the 3GX. I fought the 3GX on my 600 for months. Stuck the 7200 on there and she was as stable as can be!

Tony

Staff member
You will love it, and the setup is quite simple. Hardest thing is getting your pitch setup correctly and getting that blue light (I think..). As always, if you get stuck and need help, post up.

trainrider06

Man! That 3GX sounds like a real pain in the ting yang! One of these days
I will get me a BeastX too! From what all I heard it sounds like a great system!

Tony

Staff member
The BeastX or the Ikon are light years over the 3GX. And they JUST WORK when you set them up. None of this fiddling with them like you have to do with the 3GX. However, the 3GX, IMO, is still better than the knockoff counterparts.

Tony

Staff member
Scratch that, the fire uses a Linux based OS called Fire OS, not android such as JellyBean and such. But you can still try to find it in teh app store.

Top Bottom