General Help needed with install of Dynam A-10 servo-less nose gear

kenb

Hi folks.

I bought a set of Dynam A-10 tricycle servo-less landing gear that works very well - BUT.... The main gear install was a slam-dunk and looks and operates great in my airplane.

The "BUT" part is the "steerable" nose gear. The strut turns 90 degrees (more or less) when the nose gear retracts and the gadget in the photos red circle binds. I'd like to utilize the steering but I'd like the strut to retract straight back without twisting and not binding.

I mounted the nose gear on a block of wood and attached a push-rod to simulate the action of retracting - extending and etc.

Suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
KenBNose retract.JPGCloseup of the gear extended.JPGThe nose gear retracted.JPG

Closeup of the gear extended.JPG

Nose retract.JPG

The nose gear retracted.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Is there any way you can get a clear up close video of this in action? I think that would help to explain the issue a little better. I think I see where it's binding, but without actually seeing it move, I'm not real sure.

kenb

Hi Tony, thank you for your interest in my dilemma. :)

See if this helps. Video begins with gear down.
  • At about 7 seconds the gear "bangs" on retraction.
  • At 11 seconds notice that the push-rod linkage on the retract is not fully bottomed-out. When I move the steering the linkage bottoms-out.
  • At 25 seconds with the push-rod linkage in the middle of the slotted "gadget" the gear retracts as I would expect. i.e. smoothly.

Thanks again for looking!

Ken Barclay
Garfield, AR 72732

Last edited by a moderator:

kenb

H E Y Y Y Y T O N Y !

I have my Dynam A-10 nose gear problem resolved! After my video finished there was a menu of several other videos, one of the videos was/is .

At 3:19 through 4:06 in the video, I noticed that the slotted "gadget" was parallel to the landing gear strut. So, I mucked around until my "gadget" was parallel with the strut and voila. It works! ! ! Whoo doggies.

Gear retracted.jpgGear down.jpg

When the strut is retracted, the slotted "gadget" is horizontal and allows the steering servo to just slide to & fro. When the gear is down the slotted "gadget" is vertical and the steering servo is free to rotate the strut left or right.

Too bad that there are no instructions, hints or tips available on the Dynam et al website. Or I couldn't find any if some documentation does exists.

Thanks for all that you do for dufus' like me.

Gear retracted.jpg

Gear down.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I'm glad that you got it figured out. Sorry about not replying sooner. I had other things I had to do and could not get on the forum much today. All that matters though is that it's resolved. Now post video of it flying! lol.

cml001

Glad to see u solved the riddle.. Now u have to post a flight video! I LOVE the A-10... I hear they r gonna decommission them with the new proposed cutbacks in our military force.. Mistake in my opinion... But... One my favorite planes of all time.. I mean... They built a plane, around a canon! Wicked!

Top Bottom