Help Me Decide

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure every one of you knows my situation by now. If not, lets just say, it SUCKS. Well, I'm going friggin CRAZY not being able to fly. I need something electric that I can just toss a battery in and fly. I know where the 600N is, but I have no idea on the fuel or the starter. And honestly, it would take hours of looking to find them with all of the boxes that are piled up.

so I need your help. As you know, I have the clone 450 that I did in the "How to build a clone properly" video, but that helicopter just doesn't cut it. I'm still chasing issues because there are still clone parts on it. so I'm thinking abotu just taking off all of the clone parts, and replacing them with Align parts.

I have found ds415 cyclic servos for $60, a complete Align frame from a DFC Pro for $60, something like $35 for the tail servo (DS525) and 3G blades. I have everythign else. But, I'm just wondering if I should just get a whole new kit? Or do you think I should just scrap the idea of a 450 and go 550+?

If you are going to post "get a clone", then just click out of this thread because I will delete your thread. I'm DONE with clones, they piss me off and I want to blow up the factories that make them. They are nothing but a headache!

with that said, I need your help in deciding what heli to get that I can just toss into the air. With my charger, charging large batteries is NOT an issue. I just want to fly dang it!!!

Post up your ideas. I'm not saying that I will be able to do this immediately, but I'm going to try my hardest. In all honesty, I may just sell all of my planes since I dont' fly them and really don't like flying them much. Would rather fly helicopters, for now anyway.

Slobberdog

I recon you should put the parts in the 450 and get a second hand 130x for the fun factor, once you get your self sorted out you got the 600 to scream about with,

Think of the wedge you would have to put out to get a 550 in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey give it a few weeks and there will be a glut of 3gx and DFC's on the open market while people swap out for the dominator

Tony

Staff member
I won't get a 130x, just way too many issues with it. I'm tired of issues and I just want stuff that works. And second hand is DEFINITELY out of the questions. I have not gotten a "good" second hand item yet, so I will NOT go that route. Either get new, or don't get anything at all. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much more to get the 550 in the air vs the 450 with all that I have to do to it. In reality, it would be about the same cost to just get a super combo 450 DFC. Ah well, the more I think about it, the more I come to the realization that it's never going to happen. Not for a long time. Guess I will just have to go crazy for a while with nothing to fly. I was just looking for a way to complete this video series that I'm in the middle of but realize that it's a bit unrealistic at this time.

john2012

Banned
Hey tony you just need to get yourself the 550 and go new and align go for it man you know you will buy new not junk GO FOR IT TONY MY FRIEND

Tony

Staff member
Do you have $1000 I can borrow real quick for the kit and batteries? If so, I will buy it tonight and put your name on the side of it. If not, then it's not going to happen.

Tony

Staff member
Pfft, for a bill more I can get a 600 running on 12s. the 550 is out, like I could get a 250 at this point... lol

murankar

Staff member
Since this is just a thought process for you and just want suggestion here is mine.

Synergy 550. Talk about versatile, this thing can upgrade though 700. Getting to a 600 is rather simple once you get the electrics for it. The quality is there and is an american mom and pop business.

Tony

Staff member
Synergy is WAY out of my price range, even when I am on my feet. Might as well get a Goblin or Mikado.

Lee

Get a Warp 360, you won't regret it. No issues with mine so far, and you already have the servos and ESC

Tony

Staff member
I have the YEP 45a, but I dont' have servos. The servos that I have are going to be sandwiched between a concrete block and a 30lb sledge hammer. Hell, I'm not even sure if they are worth the strength to swing that hammer...

I would love to get a 360, but with a $400 price tag on just the frame, it's a LONG way out of my range. Add another bill for servos and at least $50 for batteries. I would be looking at $600 by the time I got it in the air. Buy that time, I could just save up a couple hundred more, and get the Align 600DFC Pro.

Tony

Staff member
So I have looked at this in every way possible. I HAVE to get a heli going, it HAS to be flybarless and it HAS to be cheap. Well, cheap(er). After searching all of the for sale posts and such, I have come up with the cheapest possible way to get a heli in the air. It's still expensive as hell, but it will get me a heli that is reliable and NOT A DAMN CLONE!!!

Here is what I have come up with to take the Clone 450 that you saw in the video and turn it into a complete Align heli.

Complete Main Frame

Tail Boom Block

Align 450MX w/ 35a ESC

Align 325mm 3G Blades

Align DS415 Cyclic Servos

Align DS525m Tail Servo

Tail Block DFC

And with those parts, ALL clone parts will be replaced on this heli. Total price for everything is $336.39. Damn near $30 of that is shipping. As you cna see, it's almost the same cost as getting a new kit, but just a bit cheaper. Ideas?

Stambo

Quad Quad Quad!!!
Just in case you don't get what I'm suggesting, build a quad. :) :p
I have a 450 and 500 heli that rarely get flown now.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Quads just don't really impress me. No inverted (unless you want to spend the money on that Curtis Youngblood quad) and to me, they are just plane boring. Too easy to fly. I'm not into FPV and don't want to be because of the amount of money and research that you have to put into it to fly beyond your front yard. Just not my cup of tea. I will stick with helicopters. Hell, I'm thinking about selling all of my planes because I never fly them.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
warp 360 is a beast.. it doesnt break easy and when it does, parts are CHEAP! that makes it a great contender.. Warp can be run on 3S setup very comfortably and when you have cash upgrade the motor and batteries and or esc as needed.

Gaui X3 just came out. The heli is awesome. Its similar size to the warp.

this is from the people there at the field who saw the gaui x3 fly the first time in "pinion" (John's) hands, and the warp. Never had they seen a bird that size fly that smooth as the warp :) .. just sayin :)

Align DFC is the same old that you have flown a million times hahahah. nothing wrong with it ofcourse :)

Tony

Staff member
It's all moot anyway. I can't afford a $600 helicopter right now, and I DAMN sure can't afford a $600 450 size helicopter. Hell, I can't afford a used mSR right now. Things are taking a turn for the worse around here. I was going to get out and fly last weekend, but you just have to love life sometimes. We are looking at how we can build an Office where we are at now. I'm thinking that is going to cost me about $800 and that is building it from teh ground up myself. But we have to have it. so as of right now, this thread is over. I will not be buying another helicopter until at least next year, I just can't afford it.

Top Bottom