Hello from Western Pa.

SLMaxwell68

To all on RCH - Hello,

I am an older subscriber - having been an RCH member for a couple years, as well as being older in age. But this is the first time that I have been bold enough to post. Having lurked on this site for many years, read too many blogs & forums and watched too many videos; I realized that it is time that I again started "doing" instead of just reading/watching.

I initially got into RC with a gift of the Blade CX heli sometime around 2008/09. At that time i was hooked on these small, stable and fun co-axial birds. I expanded by getting the smaller Blade mCX (s300 edition with the sweet little scale body) and the mSR fixed pitch to fly indoors and to attempt a progression into CP Helis. Around mid-late 2010 I purchased the Blade 400 3D as my CP trainer..........and there it sat.

Life, $$$, time and frankly fear got in the way and the heli-"habbit" took a back seat for several years. During that time I never really "left" the RC hobby. I just transferred my time into watching videos and reading posts & blogs, on this and other common sites.

Until recently when time, money and frankly a commitment to "just do it" allowed differently. I discovered Dollar-Tree foamies, FliteTest and many others showing off their outstanding foamy builds and started playing with those myself. The Blade 400 had just made it's way back into my sights when our latest Western PA winter brought ice-jams and severe flooding to the homestead. Well, the Blade 400 decided to go swimming in the icy floods several times.

As I was pondering if I should attempt repair or simply replace it with a different model I started hanging out with a bunch of great guys on Everything CPO "Heli Hangouts". When asked "If they could do it again what would they start on?" Consensus was....a 500 - For the extra stability and near negligible price difference both on cost and repair. Investigation showed that this was true about the price. 500 class helis were also suggested by one of RCH's great guys and moderators "Lee" - as being a great starting CP trainer size.

Enter a new addition to my Heli family - the Align Trex 500e. This is the Flybar, belt driven, cheaper cost align 500 super combo kit - purchased at under $400 US shipped. Along with the addition of the Heli-X sim - I am attempting to get over the crash/build fear and adventure again into RC heli fun.

Sorry guys - this turned into a Bio instead of a simple intro. (Forgive me)

The short story:
  • I love RC period.
  • Trucks, tanks, planes...but am currently back into Helis.
  • Thank you RCH - all members!!!
  • For your posts, videos and blogs.
  • You all kept me into RC when I could not do it myself.

And thank you in advance for the PITA that I will become on my new 500e build and flight training journey.

Gratefully,
Scott M.

Derek

We are glad to have you here, Scott! Thanks for taking the time to post your presence!

Barge

Hello and welcome Scott, great intro, I'm sure the help you receive here will get you going, these inverted lawnmowers are tricky that's for sure.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Scott, welcome to RCH! I'm glad that we could help you out in your hiatus. Make sure to post pictures and videos when you get a chance.

Lee

Hi Scott,
As I said already in my PM, welcome to our friendly site. All the guys are super friendly and helpful.
You will get all the help you need right here.
Look forward to many hours of fun whether building flying, or crashing :)
Lets get you back in the zone, and hook up from some flying on Heli-X, we'll try and get some of the other Heli-X users on here to join us.
If I can stay awake until 5am again, I'll see you on the next episode of Heli Hangouts.
Happy building/flying :)

SLMaxwell68

Thanks all!! What a greeting!

• Tony - Thank you and thanks for the site. Now take a break and go play with some cars. :wink:
  • Derek - Looks like we are kindred spirits. Love scratchbuild dollar tree and will be in the 500e for a while. Already watching some of your vids.
  • Barge - Cheers Mate. What a great welcome from "up over". (I figure to you I am the one "down under"). :)
  • Lee - (Scottish Brother 1) Thanks man. Need you to stay up wicked late again on the 25th to talk again dude! (I guess it'd be the 26th). If not - no worries we'll hook up again at some point.
  • Graham - (Scottish Brother 2) Hallo, Mo Bhrathair. (sorry that's about all I know) Need a visitor for the summer? :wink: (kidding)

Wow - fantastic greeting...I knew I liked this site!

Thanks again,
SLM

Derek

If you want to see some of my other flying videos, subscribe to me on Youtube. My Youtube name is: mountaindewdude76

I don't own a single store bought plane. All are scratch built from foam board, lol. I look forward to seeing and hearing about your flying outtings....the good and the bad, lol.

Top Bottom