Hello from the Ozarks

slipshift

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while so I thought I needed to introduce myself. My interest in R/C flying goes back to my high school days in the 60's but it was prohibitively expensive. Now I'm 71 y/o and I better start before my eyesight gets too bad. When surfing the web I ran across the FlySky TX (yeah, I know) that was inexpensive. Made a couple of Dollar Tree foam trainers and was ready to go. I was lucky enough to find an instructor with 20 years flying experience and we went out with a buddy box. The planes flew great and I got a real sense of euphoria, I can see how this can become addicting, It also seemed much easier than the simulator. After flying a few circuits I ran into a strange problem, the plane went into a vertical nose dive and my instructor had to pull it out. The next flight it went into a dive as soon as he turned the controls over to me. There wasn't much wind but I thought there might be some higher up. Next outing was the same thing, vertical nose dive immediately after I took control. Turned out to be a faulty buddy box. The plane flies straight and level by itself so I'm wondering why it would take a dive every time if I had no control as in hands off the box.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jim, welcome to RCH! There are a lot of people running that Tx, but as you said yourself, it's not the best out there. Next time you hook up to the buddy box, with the plane on the ground have him give you control and see what the elevator does. There may be a miscommunication between the two and the main tx may be reading the slave tx as full elevator forward.

:welcome1:

Smoggie

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum Jim!

+1 on what Tony said. If it's a buddy box fault then you should be able to replicate it on the ground. If you have a few flights under your belt then maybe it's time to drop the buddy box anyway. As long as your friend is with you he can always grab the Tx if it all goes 'pear shaped'.

trainrider06

Welcome to RC-help, and RC aircraft slipshift! Great bunch of guys here, and you just got some good advise 2 of the best there!

KLA

Welcome to RCH, Jim. The advise Tony gave you is exactly correct. Must be something with the programming in your Flysky TX or a problem with the controls.

Yes, the Flysky TX is inexpensive but it's not all that bad. I fly with a Turnigy 9x TX which is a rebranded Flysky TH9x and I don't have any problems with it at all. It is very inexpensive, but, you get a lot for the money. As with everything, sometimes there are faulty transmitters from the get go, but I have had mine for about 4 years and never had a problem yet. As Steve said, check out all of the controls while the plane is on the ground with your Flysky TX first and confirm that everything is working as it should. Confirm that your programming is all correct. If it is a problem with the TX being faulty, contact the place where you bought it to either get a replacement or get it repaired.

slipshift

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies. Part of the problem was solved yesterday. Originally we were flying with my instructor's Futaba RX and TX. I bought a receiver switch so I could use my FlySky TX and RX and he could use his equipment and the intermittent loss of control happened when he took over. FlySky rocks!

Jim

Top Bottom