FBL Gyro Helicommand 3sx

xokia

Working on convincing the wife the SL and rescue are kinda hard to show though because it works so well.

Helicommand has one rescue on my 300x so far I was tossing it around and it happened to end up behind a tree out of my sight and headed towards the ground. Flipped the rescue and saved the heli!! I love this thing.

Westy

LEGEND
Awesome .... would have been good to see you puckering .... and then relief!!!!! you could then become a Helicomand salesman :)

xokia

Westy said:
you could then become a Helicomand salesman :)
I probably sound that way lol. Just finally very happy with a FBL controller that actually does what they say it does everytime no issues!!

Westy

LEGEND
I hope to have the same result with my Ikon... I know you had issues with it ... I am keen to give it a go and see what it has got!

xokia

I hope to have the same result with my Ikon... I know you had issues with it ... I am keen to give it a go and see what it has got!

If its a big bird with low vibes it should work ok. I'd still feel concerned about tossing it around and then activating it. For me it was easily confused. My suggestion is to do a bunch of bench testing. Take the main blades off and cycle the SL a few times. Make sure the swash doesn't move on the bench. Then when you are ready to test it take it 5 mistakes high because the SL correction is lightning fast.

Westy

LEGEND
Yep will do .... thanks for the heads up .... I am always cautious with new gear until I test it out thoroughly.

I am working on some mixing on the channel I am going to assign to the SL mode (which I am gonig to use as a rescue feature/Bail out feature) ..... anyway, I had successfully programmed the radio to work so that if I was pulling collective below mid stick and I "Flicked the Bail Out Switch" it should right itself ... .but instead of driving itself into the ground ..... it will actually apply positive pitch.... then when I switch off ... it will return to normal.

I Did actually work it out using the mixes .... but I mistakenly formatted the model and will have to start from scratch again! .... will keep those interested, posted as to the updates I have on this theory!

;)

xokia

Yea mixing is pretty straight forward and easy to do. If you don't get enough with one mix you can use an additional mix to add more.

Before doing any of that I would fly around with SL activated. Last thing you want is an unstable SL with positive pitch that rockets the helicopter in the wrong direction.

Westy

LEGEND
hahha .... yeah .... I was only playing with it .... will of course test first and see what happens ... and then muck about with the mixing ... wanted to get familiar with it .....

xokia

hahha .... yeah .... I was only playing with it .... will of course test first and see what happens ... and then muck about with the mixing ... wanted to get familiar with it .....
Cool if you have any questions regarding mixing post them up. I'm no pro but did have to add mixing to get Captain rescue to work on my helicommand. I use the rudder switch to select the amount of SL I want. 0=no SL 1=30% SL 2 =50% SL and then I moved my TH switch to the gov switch. I use TH switch to activate captain rescue TH mixed into the rudder switch to add -100% to activate captain rescue. I had to use Mix1 and mix2 because captain rescue must be -100% for it to activate and if I had my rudder switch to location 2 I would get -100+50=-50 not enough to activate captain rescue.

These rescue mechanisms have to be activated without thinking about it, it has to be automatic. My brain is already wired to hit TH right before an accident. Which hopefully I never need TH ever again if I do I dont mind thinking about activating it. Having SL near by is also nice I didn't think so at first. But when you activate SL it rockets your heli towards the sky. So you have to be quick to flick it off. Being able to turn SL on and deactivate rescue can be nice depending on how deep of poo you are in. Anyway good luck with the ikon I hope it works better for you then it did for me.

xokia

Captain rescue saved me 3 more crashes today. I was trying some steep banked turns and foo bared it captain rescue pulled them out and saved me from a smashed heli. This thing is working exactly as I hoped and going to allow me to progress much quicker.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
hahaha. Makes me want to get one, put it about 30' up, start banging the sticks around then right before hitting the ground, flip the switch and do it all over again. Bert K, eat your heart out hahahahaha.

Westy

LEGEND
hahaha .... anything that buys you time .... is a good thing .... I can't wait to really test out my IKON .... and give it a real run for its money!!!! then get the mixing sorted so it does not pile drive itself into the ground!

xokia

hahaha. Makes me want to get one, put it about 30' up, start banging the sticks around then right before hitting the ground, flip the switch and do it all over again. Bert K, eat your heart out hahahahaha.
Amazingly its really hard to make that still look good. I did try this when I first stuck it on my 300x I wanted to see if I could confuse the HC. I was doing all sorts of wierd stuff I had no clue what orientation I was in. Some of the moves looked cool but most looked sloppy. Even though those guys are doing all kinds of crazy stuff its amazing with how much precision they do it with. HC handled all this stuff like a champ!

hahaha .... anything that buys you time .... is a good thing .... I can't wait to really test out my IKON .... and give it a real run for its money!!!! then get the mixing sorted so it does not pile drive itself into the ground!
Yea I hope it works for you too. It would be nice if these rescue features were available for a lower price point. If you need help with the mixing let me know.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
cheers ..... will be out there within the hour .... all pre flights have been done ..... now just the tail and gain test hover ..... and see where it goes from there.

I only have 1 set of batteries ... and they are getting pretty tired now with over 100 flights on them....

should be enough to get up and running..... will go to the local park close to home so I can whip back for a recharge! ahhaha

xokia

cheers ..... will be out there within the hour .... all pre flights have been done ..... now just the tail and gain test hover ..... and see where it goes from there.
Let us know how it goes but in the ikon thread :)

Top Bottom