450 heli spinning on spool up

tricky1400

hi , hope you can help me again

I have just had the bearings fail in my tail drive shaft causing the whole shaft to lift up on spool up , making the small drive wheel rub onto the larger of the drive wheels .

I have fitted a new tail drive and put it all back together , but when I build the revs up the heli just spins round and round on the ground .

I have checked the rudder controls , left and right , shaft moves as it should

I have a red light on the gyro on hh

and when I flick the gyro switch on the radio the light on the gyro goes out ( rate mode )

when its spooling up the tail blades turn as they should too

I have checked the belt tension that looks ok

not really sure where to look next as the heli flew ok before I changed the tail drive , it did have some vibration but I could get it off the ground ok

anybody got any ideas where I could look ?

thanks for your help

cml001

What gyro... Flybar or flybarless... I kno on the AR7200BX if the direction setting is wrong that happens.. Have to look for the correct menu for u... If that's what u have... Whatever gyro u have tho..If u initialize the heli.. w gyro on.. Push the tail right, it's should move left.. And vise versa.. If u push right and it moves right u have to reverse the gyro. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I will bet money your belt is twisted the wrong way. With the et straight, you should give it 1/4 turn clockwise when looking from the front to the back of the boom. When you spin the head of the helicoter, the tail blades should spin ccw when looking at it from the right side of the help.

Tony

Staff member
Usually the most common mistake made with a belt tail is the tail blades are spinning in reverse. The blades should be exactly like Lee shows in his video.

wolfman76

I will bet money your belt is twisted the wrong way. With the et straight, you should give it 1/4 turn clockwise when looking from the front to the back of the boom. When you spin the head of the helicoter, the tail blades should spin ccw when looking at it from the right side of the help.

I think he said it is shaft driven tony

tricky1400

Tony ,

thank you , you are a star

I checked the direction of the tail blades and as you said they were going backwards !!

how did I manage to do that ? I was 100% sure I didn't twist the belt when I changed the tail drive .

I have now taken the tail off and twisted the belt as you said and the tail is now turning in the correct direction

I did a quick indoor ( garage ) test as the weather is terrible here and sure enough its stopped the spinning

I still have issues with the pitch as I haven't managed to get that right yet , its not one of my strong points doing the pitch

I have sat down and watched your how to videos but I am struggling to be honest .

I still have a few weeks / months before the better weather arrives in the UK so its not urgent at the moment but it will need sorting out

thank you , thank you and thank you again for your help , I wouldn't be able to get as far as I have without you and your forum

thanks

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure. When you are ready to tackle the pitch, just let us know. We are here to help. IF this is for a flybar head, check otu my video "How to completely setup a flybar head" and it should help you along. But if you get stumped at any point, just let us know and we will walk you through it.

tricky1400

It's my pleasure. When you are ready to tackle the pitch, just let us know. We are here to help. IF this is for a flybar head, check otu my video "How to completely setup a flybar head" and it should help you along. But if you get stumped at any point, just let us know and we will walk you through it.

thanks Tony

I am trying so hard ( lol ) my wife bought me a scale fuselage of a EC145 and I so wanted to fit it but the heli is nowhere near ready for it yet

thought I would give it a good going over , check everything and renew where needed

I would really love to get it ready for the good weather with the fuselage fitted

seems a long way off at the moment though

I will keep posting and hopefully very soon may even have a video to post if all goes well

all the best , Rich

it is a flybar head model

Tony

Staff member
Hey, when I started, I ALWAYS set the belt wrong. Took me a while to learn the correct way. ,

Top Bottom