Heli Kits

Adam

When a person is ready to go to the next step what are some of the best and affordable kits that a person literally builds from the ground up?

Lee

450 size. look at the Chaos 450 Pro, Tarot 450 V2, HK450GT, CopterX 450, in order of quality. There are many others of lower quality not worth mentioning.

Tony

Staff member
I would add the EXI Pro to that list. Make sure to get the belt version as well. Seemed to fly better than the HK450GT, but mine was a TT and not a belt. Had nothing but problems out of the TT though. I will be going belt when I buy another one.

In fact, I would take the HK450GT off the list and only go with the Pro version. The EXI will come with a fiberglass canopy whereas the HK comes with a very cheap and brittle plastic.

j1273

I have no experience with this model but the lads at the club mentioned Phoenix clones.
Anyone got an opinion on these helis?
Jay

murankar

Staff member
I just got my EXI 450 Pro (belt) a couple weeks ago. It comes mostly assembled but you will need to break it down and ensure all the parts work smoothly. I am in the process of rebuilding the rotor head (blade grips, feathering shaft and all new bearings). This was by choice for the most part, although I had an accident that made me think about doing this. Also the canopy does not come pre drilled, build the heli first and place your battery where you want it then fit the canopy on. Mine might be a tad to tight wont know till I fly it. All the parts moved freely and with out binding out of the box this could be a plus. Also some of the screws already had thread lock on them and I just left them alone for now. Make sure you have a good solder iron for those screws that wont break free easily. Other than that I have no complaints so far, will see after second flight.

Adam

The chaos 500 kit with scorpion motor looks pretty good but i think it is TY and i like belt better also

Adam

You know i checked out the tarot 450 which i am surprised at the price for the kit with everything included except rx. Anybody have any input. Is the kit semi assembled or is it an enjoying build from the ground up?

Tony

Staff member
I have heard they are pretty good. And all kits will be from teh ground up, because even if you get them put together, you will have to take them apart and double check everything.

j1273

The Tarot models have been highly recommended to me by more than 10 experienced hobbyists.
Most said that some of the parts are better quality than align.
Its my first build and have no experience with Align so I cant confirm this unfortunately!
So far ive only started to build the tail. I found the torque tube provided was bent so i replaced that with align.
Another issue with my kit is the tail pitch slider binds terribly. his ve heard happen to 2 builders so far so thats not very good!! I will be replacing this with align.
I think Ive got a build thread in here cant remember lol.
REMEMBER. In your kit there will be mechanical parts already built. Its ESSENTIAl to remove each screw/ bolt, that screws into metal, clean it with a spirit and replace using threadlock. Dont trust a third party to adequately do this for you!!!
Jay

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
You'll love it lee! I have it's head and FBL system.. It's awesome. Don't forget to pick up the USB cable for tarot zyx If that's what comes with it, and the better software is developed by john_nz on RCG. It's amazing how that FBL flies!

Lee

Do you need the usb dongle or can i just use the Programmer. I guess for firmware upgrades you need the USB. Does it work on Macs?
And once again where are videos from you????? 450FBL action needed

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
USB dongle makes the setup easier cause you can setup the thing with your laptop screen looking at each servo and the GUI is really user friendly so it's easier. To program it you don't need anything actually cause it programs with your tx too. But you need fine tuning or it has wobbles and stuff to be fixed.
If you get the program box it helps tweak stuff on the field easily, but again it's a pain to click through every option anywaz, and it's 35 bucks. So I just got the USB cable (7 bucks) serves the same or better purpose , I just carry my lappy wherever I go if I wanna have to tweak stuff. 450 is grounded.. Needs a tail Tt and boom. No money. Lol. But I'll get it , this week.

As far as Mac is concerned. No it doesn't run on my Mac. It runs on my parallels desktop xp. I guess it was worth it installing xp on my laptop. :) ESP when it was for free. :)

Videos.... Next time I go out I have to take videos. This is ridiculous. I am not getting a whole lot of stick time. My nitros are taking a lot of time, and my 450 is grounded. I should just get out and fly my mcpx around. Kinda loosing my confidence in some orientations. Anywaz... I'll make a video and Upload soon.

Adam

How much of a differance is flybarless and i have belt driven and have had no problems. I hear flybarless gives more fly time but at the same time so does belt driven. I have been looking at trex kits and this tarot kit you just posted looks like a sweet deal. too sweet to be exact are all the servos and electronics good quality or do some need to be replaced? And are spare parts easy to get. At this price i am thinking of ordering it today if i get some feedback. Just gonna hold on to the kit till i feel like building it. the e razor is giving me the training i need at a low cost so until i get good i dont want to practice on something this nice lol.

Tony

Staff member
Actually Torque Tube will give more flight time because of reduced drag on the tail over the high drag of the belt. But, you will never notice this. Flybarless does have less rotating weight, and less things having to slice through the air, but that is what what makes them great. Well it is, but hear me out. We all fly in wind, and that is where a flybarless heli really shines. It will handle the wind much better than a heli that has a flybar.

From what i have heard, the Tarot is a great heli kit. As Lee would put it, "it's a great piece of kit". The servos I'm not so sure about, but for that price and everything included but Tx/Rx? You can't really go wrong even fi you have to order new digital servos. Oh yeah, all 4 servos that are included are digital and not analog. Much better.

Lee

Adam The Tarot comes in 3 flavours. The only difference is the servos. I think i,ll go for the Emax version. Not sure how good they are but as Tony said they can be changed later.

Tony

Staff member
I have heard a lot of people say they are running those servos Lee. Very few say they have had an issue from what I have read.

Top Bottom