General Head Speeds

kansas-terry

Can you have different head speeds without using the gov? I have an OXY3 with the new Brain2 BT is it good idea to run the Brain gov, it seems some people do not use the gov.
Thanks

Smoggie

Yes, you can just have different throttle curves in you different flight modes. But using the governor is much better because it maintains much more consistent headspeed. You can either use the governor built into the ESC or the Brain2 governor, the ESC option is a little simpler because you dont need an RPM input to the FBL.

murankar

Staff member
Depends on which esc you use. Castle has been known for crappy governors. Hobbywing has a decent governor Andi think YGE has a decent governor. Ikon/brain in the past have been known for having a decent governor.

At this point it's going to boil down to what esc your using and how much work you want to do. If you want a simple option then hobbywing is the way to go. If you don't mind the bit of extra work then the brain is the way to go. Last thing some escs have rpm sensors built and wired in already.

Smoggie

The castle gov is not as bad as some make out, it's maybe not as smooth as the hobbywing but it works ok providing you keep the gov gain value low. Possibly for very hard 3D flyers it has issues but for the type of sports aerobatics I fly the castle gov has worked fine, i still use that setup on my Goblin 630. I do prefer the Hobbywing ESC though for various reasons.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The castle gov is not as bad as some make out, it's maybe not as smooth as the hobbywing but it works ok providing you keep the gov gain value low. Possibly for very hard 3D flyers it has issues but for the type of sports aerobatics I fly the castle gov has worked fine, i still use that setup on my Goblin 630. I do prefer the Hobbywing ESC though for various reasons.

I agree with you Smogie, I'm very pleased with the HW ESC :arms:. I just finished switching out a YEP 80A to a HW 100Av3 on my 500 this afternoon. What a difference :biggrin1:. All three of my birds have HW ESC on them. The 450 DFC has the 50A and the X3 has the 60A.

Top Bottom