450 Hausler 450 Calibration

Simão Bota

Hi everyone,
First of all I don´t even know if what I´m saying makes any sense, but its my first collective pitch helicopter and I want to learn as fast as possible :)
So, I have bought my Hausler 450 it was from a friend and he never flew with it, I know "the basics" of flying a 4ch RC helicopter but when I first try to lift to hover, the helicopter was leaning to the left and the tail was vibrating a little, so in my first flight I have broke the 2 Blades :p and scratched to canopy in a 3 seconds "flight".
After this I was searching in the Youtube for a simple flybar head setup calibration and I´ve found this video , the channel and the forum because I think my helicopter is not calibrated...
My question is, my radio has 2 flight modes, the normal flight mode and the 3D flight mode (I dont want to use it until I know what I am doing) and I start to watch the video and I don´t understand it because in all the calibration things that Tony (right?) does on the video he has got the throttle on the middle position all the time and he sets all the servos to 90º so this means that when we push the throttle down the servos will come back to and we will have negative pitch right ? All the settings that Tony is doing are for the 3D flight mode right ? Because he sets the servos to 90º in the middle of the throttle ?
In my normal flight mode my servos are all at 90º in the lowest throttle position, this means that my helicopter is well "calibrated" to the normal flying or I have to make the adjustments at middle throttle stick ?
Im sorry if it´s not easy too understand my English its not the best :p
Greeting from Portugal !

Tony

Staff member
Hey Simão, welcome to the forum! Your English is just fine!

I am Tony, the guy in the video. So if you have any questions as to why I did something in this, or other videos, just ask. I'm happy to help where I can.

When you set up your helicopter, you definitely want to set it up from servos to blade grips. Set your Tx to mid stick like I did in the video and set your servos to 90º to the links. All of the linkages at mid stick should be at 90º and you should have 0º of pitch on the main blades with the flybar level.

The reason for this is so that when you are ready for 3D, or just simple flips or rolls, you have the exact same pitch both positive and negative. It makes the helicopter behave very predictably.

If you do not want any negative pitch, meaning you do not want to do 3D. Then set your pitch curve (if your pitch curve is 0-100) to 46-48-50-75-100. What this will do is give you about 2-3º of negative pitch at low stick so that you can land, lower the stick, and a gust of wind cannot come and pick the helicopter up off the ground and tip it over. Even at 0º of pitch, this is possible and the clean air causing lift is called Translational Lift.

Everything that I did in this video is for a beginner getting into 6 channel helicopters. So as stated, if you have any questions on why I did something, just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Simão Bota

First of all Tony, thanks for your answer and kindness to help all of us :)
So, if I understood what you have tried to explain me is to set my helicopter as you said in the video and just not to add the negative pitch because I don´t want to try 3D flight for now and set my pitch curve to 46-48-50-75-100, right ?
To do as you said I don´t need to follow this pitch angles on the manual, is it ?
3.jpg
Its a little weird to understand, but why does the helicopter on the factory normal flight settings has the 0º of pitch at low stick ? It will be the same no ?
When you have said to set my pitch curve to 46-48-50-75-100 this will automatically set my negative pitch at a maximum of 2º/3º or I still have to adjust he links to do it ?
Basically what I have to do for now is to set my servos at 90º at mid sticks and set that pitch curve, right ?

Tony

Staff member
Correct, set your helicopter up per the video rather than per the manual which honestly has some weird settings. If you start flying with the manual settings, and then later move to fly 3D, you will have to teach yourself all over again where 0º pitch is. With my settings, 0º is always at the exact same place and the only thing that changes is head speed depending on your throttle settings.

Setting your pitch curve what I posted will effectively do the exact same thing as that manual, however you will not lift off the ground until about 65% throttle (this is normal, and again, depends on head speed).

The other thing it does with my settings is it keeps the "Panic" throttle drop to only about 3º max of negative pitch. 1. this is about the negative pitch you will want when doing an auto rotation (landing without power, only collective control) and it will keep you from pile driving your helicopter into the ground if you happen to panic and chop the throttle to 0 (everyone does it at some time or another)

And when setting up, please be sure to have a Linear pitch curve (0-100). This way, you have even throw of the servos for setting up. Once you are completely done with the setup, that is when you will go in and set your pitch and throttle curve.

And when you get that far, I will advise what I do with my throttle curve, even in Normal mode, to make the helicopter more stable.

Simão Bota

What do you want to mean with "please be sure to have a Linear pitch curve (0-100)" ? I´m a completely noob with all this collective pitch stuff :p

Shouldn`t I set my pitch curve to 46-48-50-75-100 as you said or to have a linear pitch curve from (0-100) is another setting ?
With the throttle curve is another thing that I´ve never heard before, after I set all my pitch settings I have to set a throttle curve to ?
I don´t want to try any crazy 3D stuff for now, I just want to fly in a normal mode that doesn´t allow me to make 3D flight.

Tony

Staff member
Linear is 0-25-50-75-100. Make sure your pitch curve is set to that in your transmitter when you are setting up. Once you are done setting up the helicopter, then you will change it to 46-48-50-75-100. This will reduce the amount of negative pitch.

Throttle curves... Lets stick with the setup and pitch curve for now.

Simão Bota

Ok I will try today to make some adjustments but I can´t test it because of the broken blades, Im waiting for a new pair :)
If I understood I need to have my pitch curve at 0-25-50-75-100 to set all the servos to 90º and all the linkages , and after the setup on the helicopter is complete I should change to the proper pitch curve (46-48-50-75-100) on the radio that will allow me to have at a maximum of 2/3 degrees of negative pitch just to land, is it ?

Simão Bota

Thanks you so much for the help Tony !
When I receive the blades I will test again and give you the feedback, about the tale vibrating a little bit could be because the head setup or its just because of the bad tail setup ?

Tony

Staff member
It depends on how fast it is wagging back and forth. First, make sure you are in HH mode. Depending on your Tx, it will either be above 0 or above 50. Bacically half way is nothing, below is Rate which you do not want to fly in, and above is HH which you do want to fly in. I set it to 45 or 65 depending on what kind of Tx you have.

If you already have it in HH mode, then adjust your tail gyro gain. If it is a slow wag, raise the number. If it is a fast wag, lower it.

Top Bottom