Happy New Year All!

Blade_flyer

I would like to introduce myself and also wish everyone a very happy new year. I look forward to a great year of flying! I have been flying RC for a little over a year now. I started off with a Blade 350QX2 Quad and quickly realized it was time to fly fixed wing. I bought a flight sim (Phoenix) and proceeded to flying it. I soon mastered the sim on the Apprentice S 15e and decided to put the real thing in the air.

I have to say, at age 55 I'm hooked! I've flown full scale off and on throughout my life, but somehow never tried RC. I think I was turned off at a young age with the old control line Cox flyers. In fact, I still have the prop scars. I still fly the Apprentice mainly FPV and also fly a Freewing AT-6 Texan 1400mm elecric. I will be buying a Great Planes Edge 540 in a couple of weeks and I just printed the plans for the Edge 540 profile foamboard plane. I have the servos and motor/esc already for the project.

I am in the AMA and also a member of a local flyers club and fly every weekend, sometimes more. I have a YouTube page with some of the videos from the quad and the planes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJSXoKdg-rjnToHmRQYNCkQ/videos

I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about the hobby. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Bud

Smoggie

Welcome Bud, i'm new here myself.

On the subject of your Edge.. You might want to look at the Extreme Flight Edge 540... They are a absolutely brilliant flying model which i think most would recommend over the Great Planes version (not to say that the GP versions isn't a nice plane)..

Blade_flyer

Yes, I will consider that. I have watched some great flyers with the larger EF planes. I do like some of the pluses with the EF 48". I will look at the assy manuals and compare before I decide... Thanks for the suggestion!

Bud

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Lee!

Tony

Staff member
Are you looking at the Purple/Blue/White 540T? If so, that is the one I have and I love it. It's in a few videos I have shot including Matching Motor ESC Battery as seen in teh video below. Love that plane and really need to get it back into the air!

Welcome to the forum and post up some pictures if you have them.

:welcome1:

Matching Motor, ESC, & Battery - YouTube

Blade_flyer

Yes Tony that was the one I was looking at. I'm also considering the extreme flight 540 they both look really comparable I really like the control surfaces and mounts on the extreme flight I may look into that deeper. I did review your video and your review of the Great Plains 540 really nice job. I know a lot of the pro flyers like the extreme flight models. But mainly in the larger sizes. I was surprised to find it is slightly less expensive than the great planes model.

Bud

Smoggie

Here's the link to the Extreme Flight page with their electric planes: Electric Airplanes
I have the red white and blue Edge 540 and also the red Laser 200

Here's the Edge being put through it's paces (wish i could fly like this!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom