450 Gyro Upgrade

RMB677

My Blade 450 3D has the stock E-flite G210 gyro. Recently I've been having a counter clock wise drift. Belt tension is good and tail blades are proper. I've been upping the gain in 0.5% steps (now at 79.5%) without any noticable effect. I'm considering replacing the gyro and would like a suggestion or two as to what brand and model to use. I'm strictly a novice sport flier and don't want to have to sell the farm for a better gyro.

Lee

What servo do you have on it. If you want to get a new gyro the Align GP 750 or 790 are good, or the Spartan Quark. You can pick up any of these for around $50 now.

Lee

Thats a super fast servo. Combined with one of the gyros should be great.

RMB677

Taking Lee's advice I've found a couple of Align G790's that I may bid on. Not being familiar with this type of gyro, is anything special/extra required to set it up? Checking out the "how to" videos most are for a G780. Is the method the same?

Lee

They are all similar GP 750,780,790. The 790 is going for $99 on Amain hobbies. The instruction are very straight forward.

RMB677

Scored on an Align GP790 gyro yesterday, $52. Hopefully I don't get lost programming it. I downloaded the manual (GP780) from Align's site. Not exactly sure what the delay function does nor what it should be for the 450.

Tony

Staff member
Depending on your servo, you should NOT run a delay. The least amount of delay you can run, the better. I don't run any and I don't think Lee or Gaba does either.

RMB677

Installing the Align 790 gyro today using the instructions for a 780. I see that under the mode they say to set the mode to the mini/micro setting for class 250/450 helis or to medium/large for 500 up. I'm installing onto a Blade 450 w/ flybar and am wondering if the mode setting really makes any difference.

Lee

Yes it does make a difference. If you have the setting set to 500+ for a small heli, it won't be sensitive enough.

RMB677

Thanks Lee. I set it for the small heli. I tested this afternoon and, other than reversing the gyro, it went well. Held a solid direction in hover even with a bit of wind. Too bad there isn't a device that will maintain altitude with the wind. I think I read that they have that feature on some high end proto helis ( a multimillion dollar computer).

Lee

There are systems available that do that already. its called a hard deck from FMA for the Copilot II

pvolcko

Delay is if you're running a slow tail servo. It makes the controller, essentially, wait a little bit longer than normal to see if the control changes it makes have an effect. Without delay on slow servos the controller will tend to overshoot and have to make corrections back and forth until it settles into a steady state. It will have the appearance of the gain being set too high, except instead of a rapid or "jittery" wag that doesn't end, you'll get a wide wag and then a narrowing set of smaller wags as it settles to a new steady state.

Top Bottom