Misc. Gyro Is Working Less...

Hirobo.61

I have a Spektrum DX6i and a Hobby King HK4018 gyro (soon to be replaced with a Futaba GY240) in my old LMH110 (converted to electric). While practicing hovering, I noticed that yaw (both directions) at about 1/3 speed and up, is getting worse and worse. So while holding the helo and rotatating it I found the gyro to be working fine at low/idle speed, but as rpms increase the movement from the gyro decreases proportionately-no gyro input at all at 1/2 speed. The Delay is set at 50 and the Limit is 100.
Is there an adjustment in my TX program and/or in my gyro to correct this problem? I probably should mention that my ESC (it's old,name unknown) has been getting hot (only while flying). This is also going to replaced ASAP.
Thank you.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like there is some vibration in the helicopter that is causing the issue. I would highly suggest getting a used Align GP780 gyro which can be found online pretty cheap now days. I have one paired with an Align DS520 and the tail is rock solid!

Admiral

When I used the HK 401 Gyro years ago you had to open the case a put a layer of Hot glue on the bottom of it and then press the board into it while it was still hot, this stopped the board rattling around causing issues.

Hirobo.61

Sounds like there is some vibration in the helicopter that is causing the issue. I would highly suggest getting a used Align GP780 gyro which can be found online pretty cheap now days. I have one paired with an Align DS520 and the tail is rock solid!
Thanks again Tony for your suggestions; the bird is vibrating somewhat, but it's the worst at low rpms. I'll rebalance the rotors today and see if that helps.Have a great weekend.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the thing with these helicopters. When they are first spooling up, they will go through a very rough vibration, every helicopter has this. Once it gets into the higher rpm that you would usually fly with, you get a resonance vibration which on some gyros, causes the issues that you are seeing.

This could also be a voltage issue, but I'm not thinking that is the case.

Hirobo.61

I just installed a Futana GY 240 and it truly a world of difference from the Hobby King; rebalancing rotor blades didn’t chang anything with the Hobby Long gyro, but vibration is much less. Hovering is so much easier with the Futana gyro! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

Tony

Staff member
It's our pleasure, I'm glad the new gyro is helping out the stability. Sounds like the old gyro was on its way out causing issues.

Top Bottom