600 GY48V or Futaba GY520?

DAL2855

Banned
I have both of these gyros along with a stock HK401B gyro, which one of these three would you guys think I should install on my Nitro Compass Knight Sport 3D bird?

Tony

Staff member
The futaba. the GY and the HK are both cheap knockoff's of futaba gyros. The other BIG difference is the GY and HK are BOTH piezoelectric gyros meaning that even a 5º difference in temperature will make them drift like crazy. The GY is a MEMS gyro and will hold MUCH better. It's an old gyro, but as long as it's not damaged, it should work fine. Make sure to pair it with a GOOD digital servo though.

DAL2855

Banned
Tony, I have a JR 8700G digital metal geared tail servo on this bird along with Solar D652's on cyclic and D770 on throttle servo! It doesn't appear to be damaged, it came on my HK450GT I recently purchased, but have installed the Tarot ZYX FBL unit on. Never even flew it with this gyro, but I did see a video from the seller doing some mild 3D with the bird before I purchased the bird so I know the gyro works. That's the one I had initially installed on my Knight, just wondered which gyro would be the best since I have the three different ones lying around. Wanted to get some opinions before I made the decision to leave it on or swap it out for one of the other two!

DAL2855

Banned
Sorry I misread your post Tony, I had originally installed the GY48 gyro to begin with, but will swap it out for the Futaba GY520. I did try it a couple of times on my 450 and it was rock solid in HH mode! So yeah I think it will work really well on the 600 build!

Tony

Staff member
Just remember, with a MEMS gyro, you MUST run a digital tail servo. If you run an analog servo with that gyro, it will burn it up. Right now, I don't have much time so cna't do the searching on those servos, but make sure they are digital and put the fastest one on the tail.

Derek, Your 780 is a MEMS gyro. The 790 has newer tech in it that is actually better than MEMS. But MEMS is still a LOT better than a piezoelectric like the 401

DAL2855

Banned
I just looked up the specs on the D770 and the 8700G, the 8700G is analog so looks like I'll be swapping it out for the D770 on the tail and the 8700G will get installed on the throttle.

- - - Updated - - -

This servo being analog, could that be why it was acting up when I had the JR G7000T Extreme tail lock ring gyro was acting funny when I had it installed? The servo came with the gyro, or is it because JR products aren't compatible with the Turnigy 9x radio system?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I'm tired. I just read that there is a setting in that gyro for analog or digital. And here I was thinking all MEMS gyros required digital servos.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the page on it. You can also download the PC software there as well to program it.

DAL2855

Banned
Well I tried the digital servo on the JR gyro and it still acted the same way, I get full response when I input right rudder, but if I don't touch the stick or input left stick, it just keeps going back and forth on it's own. So I don't know what else to try to get it to work with my radio correctly, maybe it's just not compatible!

DAL2855

Banned
It responds this way with either the analog or digital servo attached, but when I hook up either servo to any of my other gyro's, they work just fine! So either the JR isn't compatible, or it is bad!

Top Bottom