General Guys i need align 3gx help please !!!!!!

Big B

Ok guys, new blade 550x stock setup, align 3gx ver 5, Castle esc and using eflite regulator for radio gear and running JR spcm radio. Been flying helis for years, but this is the first flybarless heli. Set up 3gx per videos here. It has been flying great until today. I have been trying to stop the head nodding while in forward flight and when coming back into hover.

Started to turn down both elev and ail gains a little at a time and it has been getting better. Both gains were at 90% and i went down to 75 on both, plus i also took cyclic pitch dampening from 70 to 75. All done through software. Well in middle of flight today, went to forward flight from hover and it acted like controls were frozen for a second, and as it gained speed it nosed straight up 90 degrees and stood on its tail. I was able to recover and land with no issues. I have been reading a lot about this happening but i have read no clear solution to this.

Can anyone give me some insight or direction ? Dont want to smash this sweet flying heli.

Thanks B.

Tony

Staff member
You say this was all done in the software. Did you turn the pots down on top of the gyro?

Tony

Staff member
It seems the older the 3GX gets, the worse it gets. Yesterday, I helped setup a 550L with my admin callsign on here and with all stock settings, this helicopter was dead stable. I saw a 3GX sitting on my desk out in the garage, and I know it will never see another flight. It's just too unstable.

What I tell everyone with the 3GX is first, try going down to version 2.1 and see if it helps. If 2.1 can't solve your issues, then there is something bad in the gyro. Version 3 had horrible ground issues, but was great in the air. Version 4 had horrible air issues, but was great on the ground. Version 5 is a mixture of the two and you never know what is going to happen to it. But version 2 was pretty descent.

The second thing I tell them is to save up their money and get an AR7200BX or an Ikon. They are both name brand gyros and they both just work. Stock settings on the BX and it was dead stable. I put my 600N in the air yesterday with stock settings on the Ikon and again, dead stable. So my ultimate advice is to try V2.1, then start saving for a better gyro. Even Align stopped endorsing the 3GX after the GPro came out.

holtneil

Hi mate If you want an Ikon Hobby king has them at $199 good price the other to look at is what I will fit to my 630 goblin and thats the bavarian demon 3sx, it has bail out recovery like the ikon ,but this one also adds collective and power, so when side by side with the ikon the ikon will flip heli right way up and level but you have to add collective , the demon flips the heli over and levels it but it also adds collective and climbs till you take back control and are about the same price

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Jackson

Interesting about the Bavarian Demon 3sx. I have both an Ikon and a 3gx. My 3gx came with V2.1 and I never upgraded it. I have never had an issue with it, ever. It has always been rock solid. I started with it on my 500 and when I bought the Ikon I put the 3gx on my 450PRO. I like them both but the IKon is definitely the better gyro. If you can't swing a new gyro go to V2.1 and see if that solves your problems. Also I've never really changed much on my 3gx, it's pretty much at defaults.

Ken

holtneil

Spirit have just released the Spirit Pro and it's been put up on Spirit site for pre order.

Spirit System
CNC milled, anodized and sandblasted enclosure
Color: Aluminum satin
Dimension: 33x32x14mm, weight: 20g
Power supply: 3 - 15V @ 25mA
Operating temperature: -10°C to 60°C
Latest generation, Ultra Fast 32bit ARM processor: 210 DMIPS
MEMS sensor with 9-axis fusion (rotation to 2000°/s !)
Gold plated PCB with Pb-Free soldering
Integrated S-BUS Inverter
2x native Spektrum connectors
3x connector for power supply, 5x for servos
Price $224.38 €195.49
This also has recovery look at the videos even inverted it saves the heli

Last edited:
Top Bottom