500 Guess this goes here, couldn't find the dumb mechanic section

Ken Jackson

OK so I never knew you had to glue the bearing on the torque tube shaft. Anyway I took my 500 tail off and found the bearing was sitting where my finger is pointing at the helicopter end of the tube. Oops, can't wait to see how smoother it is glued on. Never really noticed a problem but someone on youtube mentioned that I had some unnecessary vibration in the tail.

Funny how sometimes I'm way to deep into things and other times I over look the obvious.

DUH!!!! LOL!!

Ken

IMG_8920.jpg

IMG_8920.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have had that happen as well when I first got into TT. Make sure to replace that shaft and tail boom. They are thinner now. I would keep them as emergency backups.

Stambo

OK so I never knew you had to glue the bearing on the torque tube shaft. Anyway I took my 500 tail off and found the bearing was sitting where my finger is pointing at the helicopter end of the tube. Oops, can't wait to see how smoother it is glued on. Never really noticed a problem but someone on youtube mentioned that I had some unnecessary vibration in the tail.

Funny how sometimes I'm way to deep into things and other times I over look the obvious.

DUH!!!! LOL!!

Ken

You have to glue them?
What sort of glue?
Looks like mine has to come apart too. :)

Tony

Staff member
Yup, you sure do. If you watch my Align 450 build videos, and my how to build a clone video, you will see how I glue mine. You put a drop of very thin CA on the shaft and smear it around. Then, quickly slide the bearing into place. Make sure it's very thin on the shaft by smearing it around with the tip of the applicator. If it gets in the bearing, no worries, just get some acetone and spin the bearing in it. This will dissolve the CA. Finger nail polish remover works as well.

Tony

Staff member
I have also seen people use green thread lock on it before. The shaft is anodized aluminum and the bearing is steel, so it should work, but I like CA.

cml001

Yep, I use 2 bearings in-evenly spaced.. We discussed this in another post or am I having dejvu? Most guys use the one... But I read somewhere 2 was better.. Especially on the bigger Helis.. Either way... U have to glue it yes... The align bible says so.

pvolcko

I CA mine, too. Thin CA will help it wick under the inner bearing. Medium tends to bead when I've tried it. Dangerously close to getting it into the bearing.

Tony

Staff member
I have gotten it into the bearing before. As stated, a little acetone and it's free once again. Just hit it with a drop of oil and all is well.

cml001

Some say so.. But I have always used 2 and get no vibes at all... So I say use 2.... But others will disagree I'm sure... From what I've read on the bigger Helis a lot of people use 2 so when I built my 450 I order the second and use both.. Preference I guess. One will be fine tho if that's what u have.. But try 2 on the next rebuild and see if u like it.

Last edited:

Lee

I had two in my 500 but only one in my 600. Green thread locked mine in place :)

Top Bottom