FBL Gyro gpro gyro wiring

jrbrandon

hi, everyone need help again. the align manual for 450l dominator shows the wiring for the gpro with a throttle servo which electric heli don't have. that been said I hook up by new align 45amp esc to the throttle canal on the gpro and the esc got burned up, got very hot and motor never came so I touch the and it was very hot. would like to know if I hook it up wrong and if there is a right way. some one said they had a manual for the 450l maybe the can look at the wiring to understand as to what I'm saying. any help would be grateful and thank you for the help you have giving me before. very grateful for all you help

Tony

Staff member
You can plug that ESC up into any port and even if you got the plug backwards, the positive wire will always be in the middle, so there is no way to short it out. Sounds to me like either the motor output leads were shorted, or you just got a defective ESC. Either way, I would hit up the seller and see if they will RMA the ESC for you.

jrbrandon

thank you for your quick reply. yes the seller is sending a new one but what trouble me that it worked off the heli and when I connected the gpro that's when it got very hot but have new one coming will try again. email align and they told me that the way I hooked it up was right. very help even told me to send the electronics there and they would check it and ship it back which I found very nice of them. will inform what happens when I get the next one. again thank you for your reply very grateful

Tony

Staff member
Do me a favor. Test out that motor before you put another ESC on it. Your ESC could have a short in it. Below is a post that I made a couple years ago. Let me know how it goes.

Tony said:
For testing a brushless motor, it's best to test with a known good ESC. However if you are worried about damaging the ESC there are other ways of testing the motor. I know you trashed the stock ESC, but you do have the one from the other heli. But, read on before you hook it up just incase there is an issue with the motor.

The first thing you will need is obviously the motor and a drill of some kind. Electric drills are best becuase they can hold the same rpm unlike a battery drill.

Chuck the motor up in the drill holding the case with your hand (where the wires come out). Spin the drill up to at least 1000rpm. You should see NO buildup of heat in the motor and there should not be any resistance. If there is resistance or heat, then you have a short in the windings and the motor is trashed.

Second test you will need an AC volt meter. Label the wires #1 #2 #3. chuck up the drill and put the meter on an AC setting (you will have to find your setting after starting teh first test. Run the drill up to full speed with the meter connected to #1 & #2, then #2 & #3 and finally #3 & #1. The output voltage should be exactly the same across all 3 polls.

The third test will build some heat, so be careful. It's the "Brake" test. wire all 3 wires together and spin the motor up while holding the can. With the wires shorted out to each other, it will act like a brake. DON'T DO THIS FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS!!! You should feel drag in the motor and it should remain constant. If you feel a chugging, then the motor is bad.

Remember a brushless is just a 3 phase motor. I hope this helps you in testing your motor to make sure it's good. Make sure to spin it for a while on the first test with nothing connected to the wires. This is just a baseline test, and if you have damaged the windings in the can, this will create a brake effect and built some heat. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom