Gonner

treff

Treff, I have been there bro. Times like this you just want to sell everything and get out of the hobby thinking it's not for you. I did that, hell I actually tried to sell this forum and had a buyer at one time. But the members here calmed me down, and I just took it slow from then on. Hell, I still SUCK at flying helicopters, but I still have them. Well, I have an mSR, mCP-X and the RCH 600N. As you saw in that video, I LOVE to hover lol. Can't crash that bad on a hover. But, there always comes a time when you need to put the bird in the air and push your skills a bit.

As Lee stated, the HK450GT is an awesome kit. The one I had is still in one piece although it's in someone elses hands. I don't think he has time to fly it though.

Since you are a beginner, I HIGHLY suggest getting the GT with the belt. A belt will not have much more resistance than a TT. If you had issues, there was other issues with the bird. I have had belts that spun just like my TT helis. Look at the Warp and ALL Goblins, they are ALL belt drives.

Chin up bro, it's not as bad as it feels at this time.

Thanks Tony for the encouragement. Yes bit of a bummer. What was so annoying was that I had 3 flights before the crash and I thought I was doing well. Nerves were calming down and I was settling on the sticks. It was quite breezy and the heli was going backwards but I was coping ok. I decided to put the heil down, I was getting worried about the battery state and dropped it, a bit harder than I expected onto what I found out later was the edge of a steel drain cover in the grass. It was game over after that. The tail boom snapped at the box. I actually saw that happen. It snapped clean. Up came the boom into the blades ending in one big mess. Anyway the upshot is I will get a better kit this time around and do things like you say more slowly. Looking forward to the challenge. Thanks again Tony and from all the guys for their nice comments.

Lee

The HK 450 GT and the HK 450 GT Pro are two different helis. Which one did you get Treff?

treff

Hi Lee, have I done it again? Got the HK 450 GT pro V2 3D did I drop another bo------ck. Lots more damage on the old heli when I took it apart. The softish landing turned out to be more than a hardish landing. Broken servo on tail and cyclic. What a bugger to remove the hex bolts with the thread lock on. It really does a good job. I am hoping that the motor and servos will fit into the new frame but you have now brought doubt in to my mind. Is it time for screaming? Just pop your head out of the window in Tarifa and you will here a rather painful cry from the North. That's me LOL. Will be down your part of the world soon but a little farther south/west on the island of Menorca looking forward to some warm sun. Cheers

Lee

Don't worry Treff, the pro is a better heli. Just wanted to make sure i knew which one you got. Is it the Belt drive version or the Torque tube?
The only thing is, the parts won't be compatible with your old heli. But as its pretty much destroyed, no worries there. All the electrics will work with the new heli. As the tail servo is dead, you will need a Std sized servo to fit in the tail servo mount i think. The other guys will answer that as i haven't had that heli.
Good luck Treff, and take lots of pick of the build.

treff

Cheers Lee. It's the belt drive. I wanted to go for the TT version but after taking advice went for the belt drive. Looking forwards to the build which looks pretty straight forward. (touch wood) I have plenty of standard servos but none are the digital ones. All the servos from the last heli are working just that the lugs are broken. One big shock I think on the edge of the steel drain cover transmitted right through the heli. The new kit also looks better to fit servos in so that will be okay. Cheers Lee thanks for info and advice.

Tony

Staff member
There are a few things that you will need to upgrade to Align, but all of that can be done if/when you crash. You will like the belt drive, just don't put too much tension on it. You should be able to flex the belt 3/4 the way to the other side almost touching the belt on the other side. This should be done with moderate pressure.

If you have a high dollar servo on the tail, you can get gear kits for it. If it's a cheap servo, I HIGHLY suggest a good tail servo like the DS525.

Either way, you will like the new heli. Just take your time and tear everything apart when you get it and rebuild it bolt by bolt. We are here if you need it.

Westy

LEGEND
and ... a DECENT Gyro! ... you want to spend most of your time flying and crashing .... not trying to figure out why your tail is not holding!

treff

Many thanks again to all on this site for the encouragement and sentiment. I am most grateful. Yes Tony your right I will go for more Align products especial the tail. I think you need confidence in this area especially when a newbie. One less thing to worry about. Westy, I think the Gyro I was using worked okay for hovering it is just that it does not control panic on the sticks LOL. Still, a good lesson learned. If I remember many, many years ago when I was learning to fly fixed wing I brought the model home in a carrier bag a few times LOL. The thing I find most difficult with helicopters is that the rudder works the wrong way. After training my brain for 40 years I find it most difficult to follow the nose of the heli around to get a balanced turn. It will come, with time. Cheers

Lee

Treff, How do you mean the rudder works the wrong way? Left rudder turns the nose left for both helis and planes.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, as Lee stated, the rudder is the same on heli's and planes. Stick direction is the direction that the aircraft is going to turn towards. So if you want to go left, left rudder is applied and vice versa.

As for learning, this is a catch 22 in some ways. When starting out, you don't want to dump a lot of money into a bird, so you go with cheaper, lesser quality equipment. However, cheap quality equipment will ultimately hinder you as you are fighting to correct the issues of the cheap components rather than concentrating on learning how to fly. Going with high end equipment like Align, Ikon, BestsX and so on is NOT for 3D, it's for stability.

But then again, I'm broke myself so I know what issues can come of not having the cash for the "good stuff".

treff

Yes Tony...............agree. Retired here so money is in short supply. The credit crunch is biting hard over here with interest rates on the floor and the pound being squeezed that everything is getting more expensive by the day. Still "mustn't grumble always look on the bright side of life" I think there's a song in there somewhere. Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and...always look on the bright side of life.
Life's a piece of ****,
When you look at it.
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show,
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
Always look on the bright side of life
Thanks Eric Idle

Edited for Clarity LOl

Last edited:

Nathan86333

I ordered from the us ware house an HK 450gt (In stock), and 1 hour later a Copterx 450 AE FBL from eHirobo.......Guess witch one I got delivered first! LoL. I very glad you got your parts quick! Have fun with the build, I think it's as much fun as flying.

Karubah

Good movie your song comes from. They were a funny mob of blokes. The old saying is you get what you pay for, I learnt my lesson buying cheap tools from China half the time they did not fit the nuts properly and you Eindhoven up with rounded nuts and skinned knuckles.lol

Top Bottom