700 Goblin 700E

Hungomez

Hi.
Today I got a little taste how good is to fly on the blue smokie nitro helicopter. First idea what's hit my brain, it's an electric one!
Omg ! All was happening in the last few seconds, when I was preparing to landing.
I was given a negative pich to get a heli down as soon as possible, then a fire comes out under the canopy. It was higher then a rotor head, about 20-30cm.
Finally I landed, running to save as much as possible. Canopy off , batteries out, and only a smoke comes out from the motor. I have saved everything, excluding the motor. It was a scorpion 4035, what is the lower end on this heli. I was think , is enough for me, because I don't do aggressive flying maximum soft 3d , what I still learning. Also better the small engine because of the longer flying time.
So. I have to say, I was completely wrong. I always have , had another few motor, and I was planing to change it for 700mx. But how I wrote , I was happy with the flying time.
I wrote it down for everybody who has a similar setup, maybe it's help in the future. Staying on the middle range, because easy to burn out a lot of money!

IMG_2683.JPG

Smoggie

That's nasty!.. lucky there was no other damage. A 4035 should have been enough for sports flying. Do you know the Kv of the motor and what pinion pulley you were using, it's possible that it may have been over-geared, or maybe the timing was not set correctly in the ESC?

Hungomez

The kv is 500 and pulley 21T.
Now I have the 850mx 490kv. I ordered a24T pulley for it and also it's have a M4 screws so ordered a button head screws instead of the original one.
That's the worst time in the year because I going on 3 weeks holiday on the weekend. I can't see any chance to finish off the 700.
I have a 380 kse as well, but only 4+1 batteries, the +1 is only 1550mah. Everything was out of stock in uk.
I hope they 24 T pulley enough for the 490 kv with 80% gov.

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Smoggie

The missing magnets gives the game away. The magnets must have come loose and jammed the motor. Once the motor is jammed and cant turn the current will go through the roof and it will burn out within seconds. This could have happened to any motor, it's nothing to do with the motor size.

Had the motor ever had a knock, such as being dropped or being in a crash that might have loosened the magnets?

Hungomez

The motor was a Brand new when I fitted in about last November. I never dropped or never given any fiscal stress for it. If I have more time to pay with it, I will send it back to scorpion. The bad point on it I couldn't get one of the screws out what's holding the shaft, so I simply used a hammer. I broke a shaft as well, so I know the answer what the Scorpion will give me......
Non of the companies are fer enough to say, yes it was a faulty, here is a replacement. Even if everybody knows the magnet cause all of the problems.

Admiral

Not sure if this is relevant to your problem, but Scorpion recommend oiling their bearing every 5~10 flights, apparently they don't use greased sealed bearings but semi sealed and light oil on their bearings.

Smoggie

Sometimes the magnets aren't glued properly in the factory. I've had motor's fail the same way but not a Scorpion. Lubricating the bearings cant really be related to this unless the bearings collapsed first causing the magnets to hit the stator, but I see no evidence of that if the pictures.

If the motor was damaged that badly during dismantling I think you are right and Scorpion will most likely refuse to replace it unfortunately. I'd guess they will say that the magnets were knocked loose during the 'hammering' (which is a possibility to be fair).

Hungomez

I Have oiled only two times. Difficult to do, and one of my friend said better to change the bearing.
Now I was taken out the bearings and they are still in good condition. The bottom one feels like little bit more worn but still I wouldn't change. Also it was quiet and doesn't loose.
Doesn't matter. I wait for the parts to get align fitted, and have a go.
It was a first time for me to use scorpion motor, and a last as well. I was worried about oiling every time, because all the oil landing everywhere under the canopy. I have seen a dirty helicopter, and I wouldn't get a same. I have a lucky with the heli because it was only the motor.
I still love the scorpion esc and I have another brand new as well for future project. But never again with scorpion motor.
I was seen in the past somewhere someone had a similar problem. Align motors don't need any after care and if it's getting any faults, you can send it back to the factory and have another for half price! ( out of warranty)
That's a good deal on 200GBP motors!

Smoggie

I'd not write off all Scorpion motors. I've got a few of them and they have been no problem at all, I think you just got unlucky.

Hungomez

Yes , that true. Only my opinion on this case, better to use Align, because of the aftercare. Align gives a 50% off on any motor if you return.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Hungomez. Have you take a look at Xnova motors. There about the same price but runs cooler and I had no problems with mine, so far. Just a thought.

Hungomez

Hey there Hungomez. Have you take a look at Xnova motors. There about the same price but runs cooler and I had no problems with mine, so far. Just a thought.
Thanks, I have one in my Goblin 380. Really staying cool. I have already the 850MX long time ago. I couldn't miss the offer on it, and bought for spare, or another project. I put that one in now, because it's here. When I checked the prices, xnova was more expensive. (Uk). They are really great! :)

Top Bottom