General Go pro hero transmitter stick camera shot modifcation

Westy

LEGEND
Hey all .... Just thought I would share something new I have been working on. I have modified my Go Pro Hero to film my stick movements on me Radio and the other camera can do the helicopter shots.... this is both for a teaching and learning tool.

Teach newbies and show them real time what hte sticks are doing..... and also a leaning tool for me to look over my footage and analyse what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.

I basically took a Go Pro head Strap and de-stitched it and did some other mods to set it all up with a shoulder strap going over one shoulder.

Once I am happy with it.... I will re stitch it back up and that will be it .... all sorted.

Here is a short bit of footage with it on .... just the sticks .... but when I actually do some flying .... you will see the sticks in the lower left of the screen and the heli doing live what the sticks are telling it to do!

Hope you like it!.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

If you don't want to modify anything, there is a chest mount harness for the Gopro already.

b6a27fd1-1b5c-4b71-aac3-680ffc0d4c9e.jpg

Karubah

Looks good Westy, I will eagerly await the videos they should be good. Just a sideline, do you resize your GoPro videos before uploading? I tried to upload one last night, gave up after 2 hrs as only 7 percent uploaded on this antique Internet service. Cheers Andy

Westy

LEGEND
Sure do! ... both my vids are in HD ... 1080 on hte normal cam and 760 in the Go PRo. .... my 2 editing software packages go a great job of reducing to a good size.... take a long time to do though!....

Lee

Gopro videos don't play nicely with youtube in there native format.
A great bit of software recommended by Gopro is Mpeg Streamclip.
You can export the videos to a more YT friendly format of H.264

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have done MP4 for a long time uploading, then YT started ******** about it. So I had to change over to AVI. Pretty much H.264 as mentioned above.

Tony

Staff member
Nothing, they just don't like the mpeg format or flash or .mov, they want avi or h.264 and the like.

Tony

Staff member
It has something to do with keeping the audio and video lined up correctly. I guess for years mp4 was great, but according to YT, it just fell apart all of a sudden.. yeah right. It's YT trying to do what Apple did with the Flash player.

pvolcko

To be fair, Adobe Flash is a buggy mess on many platforms, to the point Adobe has stopped supporting it on many, including most mobile and tablet devices. They charge a lot of money for their tools and encoding products. And they charge relatively high licensing fees to device makers and server operators, like YouTube. It makes a lot of sense for YT and Apple and others to shun the format. With HTML5 and increasing support for standard H.264/mpeg-4 video in browsers there will be a strengthening shift away from Flash.

As for A/V sync being a cause of this policy change at YT... doubt it. There is nothing really inherently better or worse between flv and h.264 in that department. flv is an h.264 variant, afterall. I'm sure it has much to do with the lack of support for flv on mobile/tablet/apple devices and the licensing costs of operating flv transcoding/processing and streaming server infrastructure. By requiring standard h.264 and avi wrapping H.264 they can significantly reduce their processing and streaming infrastructure costs, while supporting the widest variety of target devices now and into the future.

murankar

Staff member
Flash is a bandwidth hog, antiquated and a pain to program. H.264 is all apple and part of the newest web standard HTML5. The other format that plays well with html5 is thora. YouTube is slowly making the migration to html5 standard since it rocks with multimedia.

Html5 and other scripting languages is what killed flash not adobe. Adobe owned the web with flash.

Top Bottom