Getting bored flying

Ken Jackson

I can't believe I said that but the stuff I'm doing is becoming automatic. Anyone feel free to give some suggestions. I know I will never fly like the pros. The biggest reason is because the pros are that because they have corporate sponsors so crashing doesn't really cost them much. If I had someone buying my parts I would venture down that road. I am not ready to quit but flying like this by myself is not as much fun anymore. I flew last night and drew a small crowd. That was kind of fun because as soon as you land I had 3 different people asking me lots of questions. That is enjoyable. Anyway here are two flights from this morning. Think I'll go bike riding this afternoon....

Ken

Trex 500 Smooth Flight 8/18/13 - YouTube

Trying to get closer to the ground inverted. Need to pitch my camera down a notch. Think I got maybe 6 inches from the ground. That's pretty close. Was having a little holding it steady which doesn't help. Lol

TRex 500 Inverted Hover - YouTube

Last edited:

Derek

Awesome flights, Ken! Great job!

I know what you mean about the sponsor thing. It would be a lot easier if I could take away some of the fear factor and not worry about the cost of damages.

concept30

in the first video i hate that you landed lol, I was enjoying the flight, the second video made me shake when I seen you hover inverted close to the ground, I wish i was in Indiana so I could be a AMA member, Why do you land tail in?

Stambo

I agree with the other guys, that's some nice flying.
Hook a camera to it, that will give you a new perspective on your flights. :)

pvolcko

in the first video i hate that you landed lol, I was enjoying the flight, the second video made me shake when I seen you hover inverted close to the ground, I wish i was in Indiana so I could be a AMA member, Why do you land tail in?

Not to jack the thread, but why do you think you have to be in Indiana to be an AMA member? Hit their website and register online. Many (most?) clubs around the country require AMA membership to fly and/or join.

pvolcko

On getting bored flying...

Backwards upright circuits are pretty damned hard to nail down, believe it or not.

You have forward upright and inverted going pretty good there. Maybe try sideways circuits or ail loops as opposed to ele loops (they stress the tail pretty well, too, useful setup maneuver).

Inverted hover is looking good, maybe try learning tail-in inverted (that one still screws with my head a bit). Also, make sure you have your rudder control learned while in inverted. Looked like you were holding hover okay, but as it moved to your left you didn't always turn it to keep it pointed in to you. Not sure if that was intentional or because you were nervous to try to correct that axis.

Can step into some mild 3D, like rainbows. You have half a rainbow down already when you're pushing out from inverted hover to upright in a long arc. Once you get that going back and forth or side to side, turn the heli so it is side on and do ele rainbows across the field of flight. And then work on correcting them in mid arc to keep it from moving toward or away from you. Also can throw in some interesting entries into rainbows. My favorite move at the moment is 2/5's back flip to inverted push out, catching it upright on the other side (apply forward elevator through the arc), then 2/5's front flip inverted pushout back toward myself and ending upright again (pull backward ele through the arc).

Another cool extention of rainbows. Instead of catching to a stop at each end, rotate a little further and "bounce" to a second (or more) arcs, then bring it back again.

Extension of ail and ele flips, start moving the heli in a controlled way through loops while flipping using collective applied at the right time in the flips to move it in the direction you want. And of course maintaining stationary flips (ail and el) and correcting position to hold it in place or applying offset to move in the direction you want across the field. Also starting from nose in or side in orientations and doing flips can be cool looping (side in ele flips, for instance).

Also can work on new "turning" maneuvers at the end of your side to side circuits. Half cuban eights (pull to 45 degree upward flight, perform a half roll, then pull back elev to opposite direction upright flight). STall turns (not sexy, but throw in some piros, stop piro tail down and come back through backwards, put a half loop and half roll in at the top and pull ele out of it, lots of possibilities).

Lots of options and stuff to work on, if you're game. :)

concept30

While Tony and OP i hope yall try it on the Sim first, I guess I thought you had to live in Indiana to be a AMA member, but thanks for being nice about it, I always see people land tail in, although it is a cool move, flying nose in is hard cause the controls are backwards, I'll explain, nose in hover, move your stick left and the heli moves right, move your stick right and the heli moves left, im not high jacking the OP, i see him tail in and I just wanted to know why. But still really nice 3ds

Ken Jackson

While Tony and OP i hope yall try it on the Sim first, I guess I thought you had to live in Indiana to be a AMA member, but thanks for being nice about it, I always see people land tail in, although it is a cool move, flying nose in is hard cause the controls are backwards, I'll explain, nose in hover, move your stick left and the heli moves right, move your stick right and the heli moves left, im not high jacking the OP, i see him tail in and I just wanted to know why. But still really nice 3ds

Tail in has always been my reference. Even now in the middle of flight if I loose orientation I go right to tail in. If I am inverted I only go nose in. I decided a while a go to pick only one way. You could actually call it self leveling in a sense. My brain requires no thought to correct whatever I've gotten myself into. I refuse to crash because I wanted to land or hover nose in when sticking to one direction is a fail safe. Hope that explains.

You will notice in any of my videos I never fly nose in. I still fly towards myself but never head on I always maintain a slight angle so I don't have to flip my brain. right is always right. Being 53 years old my brain doesn't function like a younger person so this all works for me. I will have been flying helis for 2 years come October.

I started flying planes a few months ago and whats really weird is I can fly straight at myself and have no problem. Still can't figure that one out but planes are easier to fly. Lol

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

On getting bored flying...

Backwards upright circuits are pretty damned hard to nail down, believe it or not.

You have forward upright and inverted going pretty good there. Maybe try sideways circuits or ail loops as opposed to ele loops (they stress the tail pretty well, too, useful setup maneuver).

Inverted hover is looking good, maybe try learning tail-in inverted (that one still screws with my head a bit). Also, make sure you have your rudder control learned while in inverted. Looked like you were holding hover okay, but as it moved to your left you didn't always turn it to keep it pointed in to you. Not sure if that was intentional or because you were nervous to try to correct that axis.

Can step into some mild 3D, like rainbows. You have half a rainbow down already when you're pushing out from inverted hover to upright in a long arc. Once you get that going back and forth or side to side, turn the heli so it is side on and do ele rainbows across the field of flight. And then work on correcting them in mid arc to keep it from moving toward or away from you. Also can throw in some interesting entries into rainbows. My favorite move at the moment is 2/5's back flip to inverted push out, catching it upright on the other side (apply forward elevator through the arc), then 2/5's front flip inverted pushout back toward myself and ending upright again (pull backward ele through the arc).

Another cool extention of rainbows. Instead of catching to a stop at each end, rotate a little further and "bounce" to a second (or more) arcs, then bring it back again.

Extension of ail and ele flips, start moving the heli in a controlled way through loops while flipping using collective applied at the right time in the flips to move it in the direction you want. And of course maintaining stationary flips (ail and el) and correcting position to hold it in place or applying offset to move in the direction you want across the field. Also starting from nose in or side in orientations and doing flips can be cool looping (side in ele flips, for instance).

Also can work on new "turning" maneuvers at the end of your side to side circuits. Half cuban eights (pull to 45 degree upward flight, perform a half roll, then pull back elev to opposite direction upright flight). STall turns (not sexy, but throw in some piros, stop piro tail down and come back through backwards, put a half loop and half roll in at the top and pull ele out of it, lots of possibilities).

Lots of options and stuff to work on, if you're game. :)

Wow you gave me a lot to think about there. I know my piros are kind of lame anyway. I always forget to throw them in when I could have. My first priority is to not crash, I've had enough of that. The last 1/2 dozen crashes have been mechanical issues so its been a while since I had a brain fart crash or trying something I wasn't ready to. Guess I'll get back on the simulator and work on some of the things you suggested. I do find some manuvers are just not the same on the sim. But crashing is free, Lol

Ken

Derek

I gotta say, Ken...I've seen your flight videos and I've even had the pleasure of talking to you, face to face, and you are a very competent guy. Just like you said, it's time to get back to the simulator and try some new things out. Crashing is free. There's no fear....just practice time. Good luck Ken! I hope you can kick your boredom!

Top Bottom