Getting back into the game

pvolcko

Hi everyone. I got into RC a decade or so ago with the DraganFlyer III quad copter. Fell out of it when I moved to my new place. Recently bought a coax heli for my father for Christmas and got the bug again. First got the old DraganFlyer up and going again after getting some new batteries procured (whole world went LiPo on me). Being winter and only having so much space, and wanting to get into single rotor helis, went and got myself a 120SR, extra batteries, and then a parallel charging rig, Phoenix and a DX7s in rapid succession (anticipating a long future in the hobby). Got pretty comfortable with the fixed pitch 120SR and wanted to try my hand at CP. Again, limited space so decision between mCPX and nCPX was all but made for me: nCPX. (better TBO behavior helped sell me on it too). More extra batteries.

Going to get better over the remainder of winter and then a 450 or 500 size bird is in my future.

The vids Tony and rc-help has put up at youtube have been great. Just getting into perusing the forum here, but from what I've seen it too will be very helpful and hope to be helpful to others, myself, as I get better.

Derek

hey there "pvolcko"!! Welcome back to RC!!! I can assure you that this site is awesome!!! I came here several months ago and I have learned so much from these guys.

Good luck with your nCPX and I hope you can get into a 450 or 500 eventually. There is a thread for the Phoenix sim on this site. If you can post a time that you are available, several of us have Phoenix and we can all meet up online and fly together. Just alot of fun!!!

Lee

Welcome,
That Nano looks like a great little micro. Anything you need just shout.

wolfman76

WELCOME TO THE RC-HELP FAMILY ENJOY YOUR STAY!!!! glad to have ya lets see pics of your fleet??? we live on vids and pics

pvolcko

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some pics up soon. nCPX developed some tail wag. Spindle shaft replacement didn't fix it. Don't see any cracks in the main shaft or tail boom. HH support said to replace the tail boom/motor assembly because it is a brushed motor and they wear out. I understand that can happen, but after 30ish four minute flights? Why don't I need to replace the main motor, which should have way more revs and stress on it at this point?

Westy

LEGEND
Wlcome aboard.....

Yeah the tail runs at about 4 times the speed of the main rotor...... and they are pretty un reliable those cheap helis. But I guess you are finding that out first hand Lol

pvolcko

The thing is robust. I've bounced it off the paved driveway at full speed in an errant flip attempt (forgot to change to full rate settings). Run at all angles into floors, walls, ceilings and various speeds. Cracked up the canopy good (scotch tape skin repair) and landing gear broken (strategic zapgoo exoskeleton repairs). Otherwise nothing. 120SR has held up good too. new blades when I chipped a set. New gear (the left set always seems to take the brunt of a fall). Reposition a linkage. dab of glue on a servo motor that broke loose after some too windy outdoor flying. Otherwise no issues. Guess I'll replace the tail assembly and see if it fixes the issue.

BOKI

pvolcko; It sounds like you had a good crash ! I have a 120sr also but so far I only broke left landing gear! Hope you have some good luck! Dave

pvolcko

So, got the tail assembly replaced. It helped. There is still some waggle, but it is relatively subdued compared to what it was. Also added a set of silicone rings to the ball linkage points (similar to what is stock on the swash-servo link connections). Didn't seem to do anything useful. I have another feathering shaft I may try out just in case I managed to bend it again before the tail replacement.

I'm still getting some yaw while doing high pitch/throttle climbs (this is after 10 or so batteries/flights so hopefully the new tail motor is broken in). It snaps back into line when I let off so I'm guessing this is how it always was. I just wasn't good enough with a CP heli at the beginning to try such a maneuver. Oddly, I can correct it manually with some rudder while doing the aggressive climb so it isn't a matter of the motor being underpowered for the torque. Seems more like a too-low gain issue on the yaw gyro. Ironic given the waggle issue seems like a too-high gain issue. :)

Top Bottom